Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War

Franchise »

The God of War franchise is a series of action-adventure games available on Sony PlayStation consoles. It chronicles the exploits of the anti-hero Kratos and his quest for revenge on the Greek Gods for the death of his family.

I played Gods of Warses

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Edited By Kidavenger
    No Caption Provided

I spent the last month finishing all six God of War games.

Didn't think any of them were spectacular but I can understand the reverence some people have/had for this series.

What struck me most was how similar these games felt to the Uncharted series that I've been playing for years and that God of War did it first.

No Caption Provided

For most I played the updated remasters, graphically they all hold up fairly well, the minotaur boss in the first game looks pretty terrible, and the first PSP game Chains of Olympus looks really bad, it's amazing how much better Ghost of Sparta looks in comparison.

The balancing beam ceiling in the first game; who thought that was a good idea...

The absolute low point in the series for me was the Zeus battle at the end of 2; it was long and it wasn't interesting like the Ares fight from the first game, and to cap it off I'm absolutely positive that there is something wrong with the quicktime event to finish the fight in the HD version, the only way I was able to get through it was to guess the prompts because there was no time to actually react properly.

3 overall was a bit of a downer, not enough action, too much standing around talking.

Ghost of Sparta was the biggest surprise, I had low expectation going in but it was a return to form for the series.

Ascension being the latest game, looked the best and was the most polished but it had the least interesting story in the series. Whoever thought it was a good idea to add multiplayer was wrong.

If you are thinking about completing this task like I did, the only thing I'd change is to play the two PSP games back to back, going between the PSP control scheme to PS3 and back again was really bad.

The one thing I was worried about doing this was getting the Kratos burnout that people seem to have, I didn't get that at all, if anything I'm more excited for the new game.

P.S. Dan is in one of the bonus videos for Ascension where they reveal the multiplayer to the press.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OurSin_360

I only played the 3 main games and burnt out after the third, it was good but definitely the weak point all around. Probably not a good idea to start the game with the best boss fight in the entire series, save that for the end imo. 2 is my favorite but i have no clue how it holds up today.

hybrid_aries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing. I doubt I'll finish the series by the time the new game releases, but I'm having a lot of fun revisiting the titles. I played through 1-3 when they released, and I believe the first PSP game. I never touched Ascension but I didn't hear great things so I'm not expecting much.

If you are thinking about completing this task like I did, the only thing I'd change is to play the two PSP games back to back going between PSP control scheme to PS3 and back again was bad.

I was planning on playing them in release order, but I think I'll just do 1-3 and then the PSP titles. I hadn't considered how the control scheme would change and bouncing back and forth between PS3 and PSP schemes would probably not be ideal.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@damoo: I didn't mind Ascension at all, it was the one game in the entire series that was most like Uncharted 2/3; combat, puzzles, climbing and elephant brains.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ascension and Ghost of Sparda were my favorites.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never really understood all the ire for GoW 3. Its my favorite in the series and was a perfect end cap to that trilogy.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BoOzak

@ericjasonwade: Gameplay wise 3 felt like a step down to me. It's been awhile since i've played it but I remember fighting hordes of enemies that died in a few hits and werent that fun to fight, I also remember the camera being worse. It was decent game but it didnt really evolve the core formula and none of the new weapons were that good.

I actually liked some of the stuff they added in Ascension, like improved damage for higher combos and the ability to slow down time. I cant remember if it was in that or Ghost of Sparda where you could hold down a button to switch between fire attacks and regular ones but it felt pretty good to let lose with some powerful attacks exactly when you needed them with ease. I also didnt hate the multiplayer but the genre isnt well suited to PVP. For Honor is the closest it's come to being good but even then it's a very different thing.

I think I would be quite burnt out playing these games back to back but I might go back and play some 3 before 4 comes out. Even if I think the games will have very little in common story wise and gameplay wise.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best things about the first GoW were the hydra and the minotaur boss. Otherwise there was too much annyoing platforming (Uuuuugh, Hades...) and the gameplay felt really stiff at parts. Second game just blew away the first one and it still felt great when I played the HD version in 2010 (oh god, even that was eight years ago already) and remains as my favourite of the series.

GoW 3 felt amazing first time around, but I've since cooled down on it, at least to the point that two climbs on top of it. Even though there's a pretty understandable reason for it, I much prefer the more colorful landscapes and changing scenery of two to the doomy and gloomy three. Kronos and Hercules fights are still really good, though.

The portable ones were kinda like GoW 1 and 2 again. Chains of Olympus felt stiff to play, while Ghost of Sparta felt like it could've been a big console release. Ascension felt disappointing to me, probably due to the lackluster story and that it just had this side-project feel to it in general.

I've steadily grown more and more excited for the new game. The "true fans" can go screw it, because one of the reasons for why I'm excited for the game is definitely the fact that they've changed things around so radically. I'm all for chilling up in the nature as a bearded Kratos and checking out some rune writings, before bashing in the skull of a viking zombie thing. Plus I want to hear more Teal'c! I'm worried about the reviews coming in on thursday, because if my eyes catch glimpses of universal praising, it's going to make the next workweek feel even longer.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak:

While I’ll agree that fighting the super hordes in the games weren’t exactly the most complicated fights but I felt like the strengths of that were how it made the scope of the fighting a lot larger. And ultimately I think that’s what GoW’s strengths are as a whole.

Also the weapons were fine, I thought the weapon switching between all of them was pretty seamless and you never had to worry about dropping your combo. The only gripe was that they were all just rehashes of the blades of exile (minus the cestus gauntlets).

Idk we are all entitled to our opinions but for me I had huge expectations for God of War 3 and not only were they met but they were surpassed in just about every jaw dropping way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.