God of War gets a release date, 4-20-2018

#1 Edited by crazyleaves (693 posts) -

Here is the trailer, looks like fun!

#2 Edited by Acura_Max (739 posts) -

(insert marijuana joke here)

Wow this looks really good! I am looking forward to this.

#3 Posted by rramo010 (119 posts) -

It looks like they are really going to give Kratos a more in-depth personality. I can't wait!

#4 Posted by triviaman09 (1032 posts) -

It's the weed number, y'all

#5 Posted by Drachmalius (558 posts) -

Can't say I'm blown away by it, but I've never liked God of War to begin with. This is the first one that looks kinda interesting though, looking forward to hearing what people have to say about it when it comes out. The title screen better have Kratos smoking a blunt though or they fucked up.

#6 Posted by OurSin_360 (6105 posts) -

Trailer got me interested again. Judging by how good it looks i guess it will be playing at 30fps? I guess it will be ok with the slower combat system.

I am a huge fan of the old games (trilogy only) and i'm kinda excited to see what they do with this, kratos seems to have come a long way from press x to have sex.

#7 Posted by viking_funeral (2881 posts) -

Tee-hee.

But, no, really - this is probably the most interested I've been in the franchise. I'm curious to see how this turns out.

#8 Posted by Barrock (4097 posts) -

Looks incredible. The voiceover to pre-order for 3 shield skins at the end was weird though.

#9 Posted by nicksmi56 (828 posts) -

I still have 2 and 3 to get though, but just from beating 1, this doesn't look like what I enjoy about God of War. Think I'll skip this.

#10 Posted by Casepb (584 posts) -

I kinda miss the old voice actor but oh well. This game still does look great even though it's vastly different from the past games. I can dig the Thor Axe. Hoping for other types of weapons.

#11 Edited by Atwa (1685 posts) -

Honestly found the writing in the trailer mostly pretty bad.

"I'll rip your head off!"

"There are consequences to killing a god" - really ?

Still very interested to see the game.

#12 Posted by odinsmana (982 posts) -

I am really looking forward to this. I am loving the visual design of the world and characters and I am optimistic about the story. Hopefully the gameplay also delivers.

#13 Posted by John1912 (2504 posts) -

Continues to look great! Im excited that the combat has been changed up! I never cared for the arcade spam attacks of the earlier games. It just kinda feel into a weird place for me, where it never felt right.

#14 Posted by JackBurt0n (115 posts) -

Looks good! Although Kratos now looks like the village chief from RE4 and I keep thinking he's going to get real mad, split in two and grow extra claws.

#15 Posted by mikewhy (316 posts) -

Blaze.

(I'm looking forward to this game but have only played one previous entry.)

#16 Posted by KingBonesaw (1345 posts) -

That trailer is awesome and makes me way more excited for the game. I try not to get too excited about games before they release since disappointment is such a common factor with everything I do but as a huge fan of God of War I am super interested in what they do with this game.

#17 Posted by Humanity (18500 posts) -

Didn't expect to be excited by a God of War trailer but this looks really interesting and I think both the writing and voice acting, in the trailer anyway, looks great. That moment where his bandages fall down looking like the chains from his blades of chaos, and his hand kinda twitches, man thats a damn good scene.

#18 Posted by xanadu (2029 posts) -

God of Weed

#19 Posted by ripelivejam (13076 posts) -

I prefer eating gods, personally.

#20 Posted by MezZa (3036 posts) -

So its coming out on my birthday? That's kind of neat.

#21 Posted by Zevvion (5965 posts) -

That's earlier than I would have thought. Looking forward to it.

#22 Posted by AlisterCat (8046 posts) -

Ah, yes, the 20th month of the year. Can't wait.

#23 Posted by CrazyBagMan (1617 posts) -

Question. When saying the date out loud, do you say "January 24th", or "24th of January"? Because to me the latter feels weird as a person who is used to formatting the date as in the title.

#24 Posted by ajamafalous (13809 posts) -

uuuuueeeeeehhhehhehehehehehe

#25 Edited by HellBrendy (1301 posts) -

Soi t's the Last God of War of Us or what?

#26 Posted by iAmJohn (6293 posts) -

Oh, so that’s why Kratos seems a lot more chill this time around. Does the turn come when he discovers that his kid stole his stash?

#27 Posted by AdamALC (274 posts) -

Now I am torn, I think Kratos is a ridiculous character but now he is voice by Teal'c so...

#28 Posted by BallsLeon (551 posts) -

Perfect, I can build my cardboard Labo son to enhance my GoW experience!

#29 Posted by AlisterCat (8046 posts) -
#30 Posted by Heltom92 (843 posts) -

@crazybagman: as an English man, I would usually say 24th of January. Although sometimes I do say January 24th, probably because all the American podcasts I listen to, warping my English mind.

#31 Posted by Ezekiel (2257 posts) -

Kill it with fire.

#32 Posted by Rodin (348 posts) -

This trailer has me more interested than anything they have shown previously, that being said, if the kid is as annoying as i felt he was during this trailer for the whole game, and if the game turns into killing norse gods than i could not be less interested.

#33 Posted by wallee321 (248 posts) -

I kind of thought Sony were waiting for RDR2 to announce their release date, before giving this game a firm date; considering how unlucky/unfortunate Sony's first party games gotten release wise in the past, either overshadowed by other games or other events.

If RDR2 comes out the first half of the year, I would it would be in May. Rockstar have liked that time of year in the past. April should be safe for this game.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
#34 Edited by dancinginfernal (624 posts) -

@iamjohn said:

Oh, so that’s why Kratos seems a lot more chill this time around. Does the turn come when he discovers that his kid stole his stash?

He finds out his kid dropped $200 on Battlefront and slaughters the heads of 3 major corporations, causing chaos in the game publisher scene.

#35 Posted by iAmJohn (6293 posts) -
#36 Posted by Bollard (8132 posts) -

@alistercat said:

Question. When saying the date out loud, do you say "January 24th", or "24th of January"? Because to me the latter feels weird as a person who is used to formatting the date as in the title.

In the UK we do say "the 24th of January." "January 24th" sounds alien to us the exact same way. But we drive on the left so what do I know. YYYY-MM-DD is probably the only sensible format.

#37 Posted by Teddie (2102 posts) -

@alistercat said:

The individual day of the date changes constantly. English is read left to right, so the part that is most frequently relevant is at the start. Japan's date format is YY/MM/DD, most likely because they read right to left, but I can't confirm either of these as the defining reason as I'm just assuming.

In my case it's not about how I say the date out loud, it's about the order I read the information, being text and all. In fact, it feels so wrong to read MM/DD/YY dates from left to right, that I end up reading from the middle, to the left, then jumping back to the right without even thinking about it.

#38 Posted by NTM (11541 posts) -

I know a lot of people say Kratos is one of the worst characters or something like that, but honestly, to me, he only became unlikable in three. I think it's cool that they're clearly addressing that with this new one, trying to redeem him in some way. In the first and second, I thought while he was extremely brutal and went overboard in some cases, like killing the Spartan in the first game, he still showed regret for some things he had done which made him more likable to me and made me tolerate his brutality. He was one of my favorite characters when he was first revealed in the first game and still in the second, but three went in a direction I didn't like.

#39 Edited by ATastySlurpee (630 posts) -

Super excited for this

#40 Posted by ATastySlurpee (630 posts) -

I kind of thought Sony were waiting for RDR2 to announce their release date, before giving this game a firm date; considering how unlucky/unfortunate Sony's first party games gotten release wise in the past, either overshadowed by other games or other events.

If RDR2 comes out the first half of the year, I would it would be in May. Rockstar have liked that time of year in the past. April should be safe for this game.

My guess is October

#41 Posted by Max_Cherry (1572 posts) -

Do you know where I can get the drugs?

#42 Posted by development (3147 posts) -
#43 Posted by JonRambo (39 posts) -

I think this looks great. I liked God of War 1-3 but am glad they're changing it up for this game.

#44 Posted by Heltom92 (843 posts) -

Looks good, I’m finding it a bit weird with all the American accents and I hope the kid isn’t too quippy but I’m really looking forward to this.

#45 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7085 posts) -

I am like infinitely more excited about this game now because of that trailer. It seems like they're gonna take the story in some fascinating directions. I can't really say what I was expecting except that I wasn't expecting this and I'm happy the surprise looks like a pleasant one. Definitely not gonna pick it up at or even close to launch (video games are expensive yall and there's like 4 other games I want more coming out in that window), but assuming it's not secretly a dumpster fire, I can see myself picking it up on sale later on down the road.

#46 Posted by ripelivejam (13076 posts) -

uuuuueeeeeehhhehhehehehehehe

found brad's secret account.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#47 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7827 posts) -

More like God of Weed. Right guys, right guuuuuuuuuuysssssss.

#48 Posted by dudeglove (13660 posts) -

I... are the GoW games stoner games? I thought that was more a Halo thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.