Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Apr 20, 2018

God of War is a soft reboot on the franchise of the same name. It sees Kratos and his son Atreus traverse a world of Norse myths.

God of War is coming to PC!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

This is damn excellent news. Honestly the PC ports for Horizon: Zero Dawn and Days Gone have been some of my favorite PC experiences in the last couple of years, and I expect to have a great time playing God of War again. It's a great game that'll look great on PC. Hope the sequels to Horizon and GOW also come to PC at some point because I seem unlikely to find a PS5 anytime soon!

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BladeOfCreation

This is awesome! More people should have access to more games! God of War is dope.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

That’s cool. They should really also port the remastered trilogy - I mean it’s been long enough that the people who were going to play it already bought it, and this new one coming would would probably reinvigorate interest in the originals.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Very cool. Kinda surprising, considering GoW is one of the best reasons to buy a PS4. Maybe they're banking on GoW fans on PC shelling out the money for a PS5 when the sequel comes out? I'm curious if / how well this will run on Steam Deck.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Also has support for some of nvidia's fancy bells and whistles. Very cool!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bigsocrates  Online

@humanity: I very much doubt they are going to port games from the PS3 that have not yet gotten a PS4/5 port. It would probably get a lot of backlash to make games that people want on their PlayStations via backwards compatibility available on PC but not PlayStation.

Plus PS3 ports are apparently a pain in the neck to begin with because of that system's unique architecture. There is a God of War III port to PS4 that I suppose they could move over but I'm not sure it would sell well as a stand alone.

Regardless it's good that the new series is going to be accessible on PC. That's a really fun game, and it might get some people into the series and want to get a PlayStation for the sequel (if anyone can get a PlayStation by the time it comes out.)

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So I guess this leaves Persona 5 as my only reason to keep my PS4 since everything else is on Steam and Epic these days.

Yaaaaaaay.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

So I guess this leaves Persona 5 as my only reason to keep my PS4 since everything else is on Steam and Epic these days.

Yaaaaaaay.

More people having the ability to experience console games on alternate platforms does not diminish or erase your positive experiences on any console.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@wollywoo said:

Very cool. Kinda surprising, considering GoW is one of the best reasons to buy a PS4. Maybe they're banking on GoW fans on PC shelling out the money for a PS5 when the sequel comes out? I'm curious if / how well this will run on Steam Deck.

Without a doubt this is the motivation. Ragnarok comes out, what, two or three months after this drops? It's insanely smart of Sony to drop their exclusive that's in many ways probably the least stereotypically "Sony first party game" (despite being contained in many of the same trappings) to juice PS5/Ragnarok hype for a new audience.

Even someone in my position who's played through God of War twice finds myself crossing my fingers that this PC port will also function as a PS5 upgrade that I can replay one more time to get fully hyped for the sequel.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I obviously only speak for myself, but as someone who will buy this on PC day one, I have zero interest in the David Jaffe games.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By gtxforza

I hope this legacy PlayStation 1st party will have a good optimization on PC while the developer could earn extra money in order to finish the development of God Of War Ragnarok for PS4 & PS5.

This reminds me of some selected PS3 games that got remastered for PS4.

For myself, I'm not a fan of the mythical Greek God stories in general so I personally choose to skip the entire PlayStation's God Of War series since when I first heard of it back in 2008, plus I remembered that I used to watch Disney's Hercules cartoon film, I also personally don't really like it.

P.S If I was a real rich man, I personally love to own several high-end gaming computers and gaming consoles together (Including PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, Sega and Atari) along with several luxury cars.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neat! Because it already plays perfectly on PS5, I don’t personally have a reason to pick it up, other than maybe from a sale to try out some dumb mods later on.

Anyone complaining about a game that’s almost four years old (and has already sold 19 million copies) coming to another platform can go jump into a lake.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but no bloodborne yet :(

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@zombiepie said:

@facelessvixen said:

Yaaaaaaay.

More people having the ability to experience console games on alternate platforms does not diminish or erase your positive experiences on any console.

Yeah, I get that. But for my intents and purposes, as someone who didn't buy a PS4 Pro and noteworthy games, including Dad of Boy, until early 2019, I can't help for feel jaded seeing half of my collection of PS4 games being available on PC. But here's the twist: It's not necessarily from the entitled perspective of "Dey turk er germs" or "WhY cOuLdN't ThEy StAy ExClUsIvE?!?!" or however you want to describe my post as, especially since I strongly prefer PC, coincidentally spent $4,000 for one in 2019, and I like the idea of playing Dad of Boy and other previously PlayStation exclusive games with better performance and visuals. It's being fatigued with the notion of re-buying games which is making me question why I bought a PS4 since I barely use it.

To start from the beginning: I already re-purchased several games when migrating from the 360 and PS3 to PC during the latter half of the 2010's. That was back when I was still used to consoles/wasn't as sensitive towards performance, beginning to learn about PC building starting with a Celeron G1840 and a 750 Ti, and various Steam, Humble Bundle and Green Man Gaming sales made the migration process relatively inexpensive. And yes, re-buying my favorites of previous generations like Saints Row: The Third, Dragon's Dogma, Borderlands 1, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Persona 4, and that list can go on, doesn't take away the initial fun I had with the respective console and handheld versions since that's what inspired me to buy them for a second, and in some cases, a third time. Sure, you could argue that there's no fundamental difference between me re-buying games then and being purposed with doing the same now, but I was more tolerant of it back then and PC has become the greener pasture for me.

Fast forwarding to current day: With upgrading my desktop with better hardware over time and being fortunate enough to have the high-end/minimal compromise/workstation system that I have now, things are different for me these days in terms of how I want to play games over the past several years. Back then it was controller for everything. Now-a-days I want to use my 14-button mouse and Corsair K70 for certain genres. Back then, inconsistent frame rates didn't bother me too much because I was aware of the hardware limitations. Now I want the best performance possible as well as 21:9 support and mods if available.

So from the perspective of a consumer, me buying a PS4 Pro in 2019 with the expectation that the games I wanted will only be for that system is causing me to further hesitate about buying another non-Nintendo console if 90% of what I want is going to end up on PC even a few years after the console debut. Of course, extrasensory perception/clairvoyance isn't a thing, and my purchase decision happened way before talks of PlayStation games coming to PC became more than wishful thinking, but it doesn't shake the feeling of making a questionable if not outright bad multi-hundred dollar investment, as if I bought it out of a fear of missing out and that I was better off just buying the controller. In other words: I can say that I got my money's worth with the PS3, my various PC builds, and I can even say that the Switch was a worthwhile investment because of exclusives like Astral Chain, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and even Breath of the Wild; not so much with the PS4, and I shouldn't feel like I need to force myself to use the console in order to justify the purchase.

And as for Dad of Boy specifically, like with Horizon 1, I'll most likely end up double-dipping when I see it at a lower price, but I'm having more and more reluctance towards essentially buying performance upgrades as the years go on, and I'll most likely have a similar reaction if/when Bloodborne, Persona 5 and Final Fantasy VII R show up on Steam and/or Epic.

Long story short: Just think of my post as the Philip J. Fry "Shut up and take my money" gif, but with less enthusiasm.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By AV_Gamer

As someone who played through GOW PS4 twice, I can tell you that PC gamers are in for a treat. Great action game with a decent story, great presentation, sound, you get the idea. Make sure to complete the Valkyrie side quest, some of the most epic boss battles in an action game. VALHALLA!

And I hope Bloodborne does come to the PC, because that would mean they'd have to improve and release a PS5 version. If you noticed, PS4 games that have been released on the PC, had a PS5 60fps, 4K, patch done first or shortly afterwards. Sadly, From Software have a track record of not fixing their games once released. Hence, why modders had the fix the issues with DS1, DS2, and DS3 on the PC.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By gtxforza

@giant_gamer: @av_gamer:

Bloodborne is pretty much the most requested legacy PS4 first-party title to come onto PC but I don't get why Sony Interactive Entertainment won't commission FromSoftware to do it.

For Uncharted 4, I guessed it right that the PC version is going to be a remaster while I didn't expect it to come onto PS5 as well along with Lost Legacy (Stand-alone expansion).

Link to my old Uncharted 4 thread:

PC version is coming, what're your thoughts on this? - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Giant Bomb

swthompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By swthompson

This is pretty neat. I'll probably want to replay the game in like a year or two, so this works for me.

I don't feel any annoyance at playing the game once through at 1080p 30fps. It was great then. Just means that whenever I revisit it, I can enjoy it at higher fidelity and frame rate.

I'm pretty much done with console exclusives these days. So bring em on.

EDIT: Oh yeah would love to get GOW 1-3 too. A fun mashy brawler, why not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.