werupenstein's God of War (Greatest Hits) (PlayStation 2) review

Avatar image for werupenstein

They don't make them like this anymore.

It's really interesting to play old games for the first time, I can never tell if the game is actually hard or if the gameplay just doesn't translate to modern game sensibilities.

I was surprised by the tactical thinking that was required in some sections of this game; so many times I would charge in swinging and get my ass handed to me, then come back with a focused plan and beat the same encounter easily.

I've never said fuck so many times while playing a game before, I probably cursed more while playing this game than every other game I've ever played combined.

One thing I will give this game; if you play with discipline and learn from your mistakes, there is a real sense of accomplishment that is missing from a lot of games, I could really see my self getting better the longer I played.

I was surprised by how good this 13 year old game looked given it's age.