Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 29, 2010

Golden Sun returns on the Nintendo DS, starring the descendants of the original game's protagonists. It is the first entry on the DS, and the first in full 3D. It was released in Japan on October 28, 2010 and in North America on November 29, 2010.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn Rises On November 29

• 76 results
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega

Fans of classic Game Boy Advance RPGs, get excited. Nintendo has announced that Golden Sun: Dark Dawn--the long-awaited followup to the two excellent Golden Sun games on the GBA--will be rising in retail stores on November 29th for the Nintendo DS.  

Dark Dawn begins 30 years after the events of The Lost Age and puts you in control of a new party of warriors. The world of Golden Sun was radically altered after the lighting of the Elemental Lighthouses, and the world has become harsher than ever before. Players will guide their party on a quest to stop a new magical apocalypse, once again seeking the aid of over 70 Djinn sprites for assistance in battle and in puzzles.

I really want to make a Beatles reference here, but I don't think we can afford the rights.
     I really want to make a Beatles reference here, but I don't think we can afford the rights.

I've always held the Golden Sun franchise in particularly high esteem, and with good reason: Both Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age were loving throwbacks to the JRPGs of the Super Nintendo and Genesis, featuring a long, dense quest in a world brimming with secret weapons, powerful spells, and ridiculous sprite-based summons (all of which developer Camelot has in their blood, given that they created Shining Force). Best of all, the Golden Sun games melded that classic JRPG formula with a couple of neat twists that made the series more than just a Final Fantasy also-ran. I always appreciated that the techniques you were learning in combat could also be used out of battle to solve the game's various environmental puzzles.    

Of course, as good as those first two Golden Sun games were, they were still pretty traditional, especially in comparison to some of the other, more radical RPGs being released on the GBA at the time, like Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga and Fire Emblem. And now, seven years after the release of Golden Sun: The Lost Age (you read that right. Seven years since the last Golden Sun. I couldn't feel older.), the RPG landscape has shifted even more dramatically, with a prioritization of action-oriented combat in favor of turn-based combat.

I've got enough nostalgia for this franchise that I'll buy this game on day one, but what about the rest of you? Does your familiarity with the Golden Sun franchise make this game appealing, or has it simply been too long since the series was relevant? Are you DS players who consumed all of Dragon Quest IX's content ready for more traditional RPG action? Or would you rather Camelot made another good Mario sports game?
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega

Fans of classic Game Boy Advance RPGs, get excited. Nintendo has announced that Golden Sun: Dark Dawn--the long-awaited followup to the two excellent Golden Sun games on the GBA--will be rising in retail stores on November 29th for the Nintendo DS.  

Dark Dawn begins 30 years after the events of The Lost Age and puts you in control of a new party of warriors. The world of Golden Sun was radically altered after the lighting of the Elemental Lighthouses, and the world has become harsher than ever before. Players will guide their party on a quest to stop a new magical apocalypse, once again seeking the aid of over 70 Djinn sprites for assistance in battle and in puzzles.

I've always held the Golden Sun franchise in particularly high esteem, and with good reason: Both Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age were loving throwbacks to the JRPGs of the Super Nintendo and Genesis, featuring a long, dense quest in a world brimming with secret weapons, powerful spells, and ridiculous sprite-based summons (all of which developer Camelot has in their blood, given that they created Shining Force). Best of all, the Golden Sun games melded that classic JRPG formula with a couple of neat twists that made the series more than just a Final Fantasy also-ran. I always appreciated that the techniques you were learning in combat could also be used out of battle to solve the game's various environmental puzzles.    

Of course, as good as those first two Golden Sun games were, they were still pretty traditional, especially in comparison to some of the other, more radical RPGs being released on the GBA at the time, like Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga and Fire Emblem. And now, seven years after the release of Golden Sun: The Lost Age (you read that right. Seven years since the last Golden Sun. I couldn't feel older.), the RPG landscape has shifted even more dramatically, with a prioritization of action-oriented combat in favor of turn-based combat.

I've got enough nostalgia for this franchise that I'll buy this game on day one, but what about the rest of you? Does your familiarity with the Golden Sun franchise make this game appealing, or has it simply been too long since the series was relevant? Are you DS players who consumed all of Dragon Quest IX's content ready for more traditional RPG action? Or would you rather Camelot made another good Mario sports game?
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Loved the first two, but not so impressed by what we've seen of this one.

LiquidPenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By LiquidPenguins

I've been waiting for this for so long. Thank fuck it didn't slip into 2011.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

Better news was never announced on Giantbomb.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ch13696

What? I gotta wait 2 more months. Well at least my money will be better spent than on the new Xbox Live price increase.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60

Awesome. I loved the first two.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By apathylad

I'm curious as to how deep this will tie to the first two games. I may need to brush up on my Golden Sun lore. I still have the first two games. 

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By Timing

Golden Sun will always be relevant. I'm eagerly awaiting an EU release date.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Can't wait!

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By blair

In similar news; I will own Golden Sun:  Dark Dawn on November 29th.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By danielkempster
    @MattBodega said:
    " ...the Golden Sun games melded that classic JRPG formula with a few a couple of neat twists... "

" Have you DS players who consumed all of Dragon Quest IX's content ready for more traditional RPG action? "
    A little proof reading goes a long way, Mr. Kessler. Seemingly little mistakes like this can really tear apart the professionalism of what is otherwise a well-written article. Not trying to be a total douche, although I realise I'm probably coming across as one. Sorry. 

Anyway, on topic, this is really great to hear. I loved both GBA games, so I guess I'm going to have to butter up the girlfriend in hopes of usurping her DS come November.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By AgentJ
    @Apathylad said:
    " I'm curious as to how deep this will tie to the first two games. I may need to brush up on my Golden Sun lore. I still have the first two games.  "
    Considering the new protagonists are the offspring of the original heroes, I'd say there will be a good amount of tie-in. I'd like to take some bets on whether or not Alex is back as the ringmaster. 
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By Tordah
    @Timing said:
    " Golden Sun will always be relevant. I'm eagerly awaiting an EU release date. "
    This. The GBA games are classics.
    amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#14  Edited By amlabella

I loved the Golden Sun games. Like you mentioned, great throwbacks to the SNES RPG days. Even if it doesn't do too much to break new ground in the series I'll probably still enjoy it. Hopefully they'll introduce some interesting mechanics to the game though.

drumpsycho89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By drumpsycho89

OH MY WORD!!!!  i can not wait for this game to come out!!!!!!

Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Althox

Can't wait!... No seriously, I just can't..

Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Simulacrum
    @Althox said:
    " Can't wait!... No seriously, I just can't.. "

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Romination

This and NBA Jam are my greatest buys for this year.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By apathylad
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Apathylad said:
    " I'm curious as to how deep this will tie to the first two games. I may need to brush up on my Golden Sun lore. I still have the first two games.  "
    Considering the new protagonists are the offspring of the original heroes, I'd say there will be a good amount of tie-in. I'd like to take some bets on whether or not Alex is back as the ringmaster.  "
    Okay, let's make some pairings while we're at it: 

GuysGirls 
     Felix  Mia
    Isaac  Jenna
    Garet  Sheba
    Ivan 
    Piers 

Okay...who slept with who?
    DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By DaemonBlack

Been waiting seven years.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By Timing
    @Apathylad said:

" @AgentJ said:

" @Apathylad said:

Considering the new protagonists are the offspring of the original heroes, I'd say there will be a good amount of tie-in. I'd like to take some bets on whether or not Alex is back as the ringmaster.  "
    Okay, let's make some pairings while we're at it: 

GuysGirls  
    Felix  Mia
    Isaac  Jenna
    Garet  Sheba
    Ivan 
    Piers   
    Okay...who slept with who? "
    I'd say swap Felix and Garet and you're good. Also, have you guys seen the still unnamed, presumably older, raincoat guy? 

Assumptions to his identity would be easy to make, were it not that he holds his sword differently than that guy.

Edit: Also yes, I'd bet it's highly likely Alex will return in some way, seeing how deliberately ambiguous his 'ending' was.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Claude

This is going to make some people very happy.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheFreeMan

I've been waiting for a proper sequel/ending to Golden Sun for so long I feel like it can't possibly be coming out this year. Very exciting.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aeterna

Dude, that was 7 years ago!? I loved those games.

MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MMkain

My hands still hurt from entering that 12 page password....

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By august

If you tell me there's less goddamn interminable inane dialogue than the first two, I might be interested.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By JJWeatherman

Big fan of the series. Can't wait for this one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5865c6a5c9438
    deactivated-5865c6a5c9438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the first two. Definitely enough nostalgia to merit a day one buy.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Afroman269
    @MMkain said:
    " My hands still hurt from entering that 12 page password.... "
    lol this. Hated that so much and damn has it been that long ago? I was worried that this would be pushed to 2011. Can't wait now!
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cornman89

Golden Sun? That was my childhood, man!

Devz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Devz

Oh damn can't believe its been 7 years haha I'm getting old, I have very fond memories of those games so definitely looking forward to this.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#32  Edited By jacksukeru

Man I never played more than a few minutes of the second one, I did type in the password I had though, effing longest password evar! 

I don't know if I want this game, even though I really liked the original, that was a while ago and I was pretty unexperienced with RPG's. I'll have to wait and see with this one.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#33  Edited By Mystyr_E

<Sees screenshot and caption>
    "Here comes the sun, doo-doo doo doo, here comes the sun and I say, it's alright..."

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By MisterMouse

I remember playing both those games and I would probably pick it up if I had a DS. I might get a 3DS when that comes out and then I could pick this game up then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AgentJ said:
    " @Apathylad said:
    He'd better be.
    Det1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Det1

MY BODY IS READY
    THIS AND WARHAMMER 40K SPACE MUHREEN
    FUCK YEAR

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mystyr_E:  I feel stupid for not being able to think of that song after reading the caption.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Turambar

70 djinns this time round?  Jesus christ.  If there isn't a summon that uses at least 10 djinns of an element, I will be disappointed.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zitosilva

I really want to play this, but I hope they offer some form of recap, because I don't remember anything from the first two. What I do remember is that the second didn't have a proper end, right? I wasn't as a cliffhanger as the first, but it still ended pretty abruplty, with a lot of things unanswered (the weirder thing that comes to my mind is Garet, I believed, that scream at something holding his arm, even though there was nothing there). I hope this turns out good.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I loved the first two. I'm fairly certain I bought a GBA SP because all the reviews were stellar about them. Anyway, I hate and miss the 20 page code to transfer your stats. I'm sure the new one won't carry over anything from Lost Age... but it'd be cool if it did!

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By yoshimitz707

YES!

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Malakhii

This is good news, I was expecting a long delay after there had been no news for a while. 

Avatar image for satelliteoflove
    SatelliteOfLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By SatelliteOfLove
    JENNA! JENNA! JENNA!!!
    wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By wh1terav3n

Oh Gawd. I need this game. Now is good.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I loved the first two games but for some reason I don't know if this will live up to my expectations. 
    Please be good... 
    7 years?! Fuck I feel old
    citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By citizenjp

One of my favorite RPGs of all time! For sure! 
    edit: The Golden Sun franchise of course...duh. :P

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Rio

I shall be grabbing that, Golden Sun is quite awesome.  Excitement ensues.  

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Toxin066

These might have been my favorite GBA games. So, I'm with ya Matt. Day 1 pick up for me too.

pewpewlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By pewpewlazer

Lol, "Rises into stores?" Didn't the normal bomb crew make fun of these cheesy taglines awhile back? lol 

I can't wait for the next Metal Gear to sneak into stores...

Mattatoofeld19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mattatoofeld19

I will be purchasing this day one

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.