Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GoldenEye 007

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 23, 1997

A first-person shooter for the Nintendo 64 and a video game tie-in with the 1995 James Bond film GoldenEye. It paved the way for a long line of shooter games based on the universe of the British secret agent and is often credited for helping establish first-person shooters for consoles.

Unreleased GoldenEye XBLA Footage

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DharmaBum

Some footage of the unreleased XBLA port of GoldenEye has surfaced:

I will always be disappointed that this never came out given how great the XBLA remake of Perfect Dark is. Stable framerate, better resolution, modern controls, being able to toggle between visuals a la Halo Anniversary. If only this could somehow be added to Rare Replay, but we know that's not going to happen.

Digital Foundry recently did a nice retrospective video if you need some more GoldenEye goodness:

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By notnert427

IIRC, Phil Spencer mentioned that they had really wanted to release this, but it's apparently a licensing nightmare. It looks incredible. Just retro enough, but with massive framerate and graphical improvements, in addition to not having to deal with the N64 controller. Grrr...I want this. I would pay $60 for it, straight-up.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By superfriend

Couldn't/shouldn't they figure out the licensing BEFORE they made half a game/or even more??

A lot of money went down the drain I guess. I would have loved to play Goldeneye at 60 frames per second as opposed to 12 on N64!

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even have an affection for GoldenEye, but I can still recognize that it's a dang shame that this didn't come out. Looks great.

HotPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

damn u nintendo!!!!!!!!

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I loved Goldeneye as a kid and have a ton of great memories playing multiplayer with my brothers and friends. With that said, I can't say I'm too broken that this never made it out. Goldeneye is a game of its time, it has aged very poorly and playing it today is only a very harsh reminder that console shooters have come a long way.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't/shouldn't they figure out the licensing BEFORE they made half a game/or even more??

A lot of money went down the drain I guess. I would have loved to play Goldeneye at 60 frames per second as opposed to 12 on N64!

I remember hearing stories about how the project was happening right up until the last minute when somebody (Nintendo, as I heard) backed out. That story seems a little fishy to me because I assume contracts would be signed before work began. I don't remember work being done ever being part of the story though, so maybe this video is a hoax. We already know there are PC emulations of the game, I don't think it's that hard to extrapolate some remastered textures too.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I... did not expect that to hit me as hard as it did. I'd play the hell outta this.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Word was that agreement was reached between Microsoft, Activision, and Nintendo, which cleared the way for Rare to begin development and progress up to the point seen in the above video. Before the game could be quite finished and released, however, Iwata intervened and killed the project for reasons unknown.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maaaan, if only that remake saw the light of day. The Perfect Dark one was really good! But yeah, it was a complete licensing nightmare. Just hearing the Dam music and those very specific sound effects is getting me all nostalgic.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, this would've been so good.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By katpottz

The upgraded visuals just looks how I remember it looking in 1996. Those flashes of the original graphics are a harsh reminder of how bad those n64 games look now :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.