Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GoldenEye 007

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 23, 1997

A first-person shooter for the Nintendo 64 and a video game tie-in with the 1995 James Bond film GoldenEye. It paved the way for a long line of shooter games based on the universe of the British secret agent and is often credited for helping establish first-person shooters for consoles.

Who remembers Goldeneye on the N64

AleeN634

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

Edited By AleeN634
    Goldeneye was one of the essential console shooters back in the day.  Besides being a fun shooting game, it showed that licensed games (probably still the best use of the Bond license in my opinion) could work.  Released on the Nintendo 64, it helped define what a shooting experience for a console game would be. Generous autoaim, hidden secrets, tons of characters and 11 stages were larger and more ambitious than most PC FPS games at the time.

Sure, today it has a very unstable frame rate and looks as blocky as hell but damn if it wasn't fun to get your friends together and have a shootout in the Facility.  We used to play for hours after school until the late hours of the night trying to get that every elusive Body Armor or Golden Gun. Once we played with 1 hit kills, and to this day my friend figured out the timing on explosions and can proclaim, "I can walk through fire! Hell yeah!" before killing us with his pistol.

To this day, people ask for an updated port of Goldeneye and while it appears to be stuck in legal limbo at least its spiritual successor Perfect Dark has been re-released along with all the Goldeneye remake maps. And while it features all the modern bells and whistles like Live support and 60 fps, there's something about the days when my friends all got together and we'd sit on the couch and play for hours.

The good folks at CollegeHumor pay tribute to this game in one of their latest videos:

Now if you pardon me I need to reverse spin myself up into the air ducts of Facility.
    AleeN634

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

#1  Edited By AleeN634
    Goldeneye was one of the essential console shooters back in the day.  Besides being a fun shooting game, it showed that licensed games (probably still the best use of the Bond license in my opinion) could work.  Released on the Nintendo 64, it helped define what a shooting experience for a console game would be. Generous autoaim, hidden secrets, tons of characters and 11 stages were larger and more ambitious than most PC FPS games at the time.

Sure, today it has a very unstable frame rate and looks as blocky as hell but damn if it wasn't fun to get your friends together and have a shootout in the Facility.  We used to play for hours after school until the late hours of the night trying to get that every elusive Body Armor or Golden Gun. Once we played with 1 hit kills, and to this day my friend figured out the timing on explosions and can proclaim, "I can walk through fire! Hell yeah!" before killing us with his pistol.

To this day, people ask for an updated port of Goldeneye and while it appears to be stuck in legal limbo at least its spiritual successor Perfect Dark has been re-released along with all the Goldeneye remake maps. And while it features all the modern bells and whistles like Live support and 60 fps, there's something about the days when my friends all got together and we'd sit on the couch and play for hours.

The good folks at CollegeHumor pay tribute to this game in one of their latest videos:

Now if you pardon me I need to reverse spin myself up into the air ducts of Facility.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.