Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GoldenEye 007

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 02, 2010

GoldenEye 007 (for the Wii and Nintendo DS) is a re-imagining of the 1997 Nintendo 64 classic of the same name (as well as the 1995 movie it was based off of).

Goldeneye 007: Oh hey there, Call of Duty.

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By BitterAlmond

I've spent the last three hours playing the multiplayer (offline with a friend, then online) and single-player of Goldeneye 007, and cannot stress how much it feels like Call of Duty. I am someone who does not much like Call of Duty's whiplash multiplayer style. The game contains enough nostalgia factor and throwbacks to original game modes and ideas that I might still like it, but the regenerating health and weapons you start with (as opposed to find lying around) are disappointing. I hear of something called "Classic Combat mode", which I got a code for (which unlocked Tag Mode instead; it's a problem that I've heard everyone's having). Maybe that will roll the game back to being like the original.

On the plus side, the Wii finally has an exclusive title that is a very competent shooter. This game feels very good, and plays well. I am greatly enjoying the single-player, and the cut-scenes, voice acting and story are all top-notch. I really do think this game is worth full value, especially for someone who enjoys Modern Warfare and all those snappy new FPS-es.

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BitterAlmond

I've spent the last three hours playing the multiplayer (offline with a friend, then online) and single-player of Goldeneye 007, and cannot stress how much it feels like Call of Duty. I am someone who does not much like Call of Duty's whiplash multiplayer style. The game contains enough nostalgia factor and throwbacks to original game modes and ideas that I might still like it, but the regenerating health and weapons you start with (as opposed to find lying around) are disappointing. I hear of something called "Classic Combat mode", which I got a code for (which unlocked Tag Mode instead; it's a problem that I've heard everyone's having). Maybe that will roll the game back to being like the original.

On the plus side, the Wii finally has an exclusive title that is a very competent shooter. This game feels very good, and plays well. I am greatly enjoying the single-player, and the cut-scenes, voice acting and story are all top-notch. I really do think this game is worth full value, especially for someone who enjoys Modern Warfare and all those snappy new FPS-es.

temmink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By temmink

I definitely second that feeling, it does feel like a modern shooter like one of the MW games. I guess that just wasn't what I was expecting. While you, and Alex in the GB review say it has enough throwbacks to the original, I couldn't see past the differences, so probably a failing on my part. I'll give it some more time and see if it grows on me, still a couple of days till a real COD game comes out :D.

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BitterAlmond

You should get over a few friends and play the offline split-screen multiplayer. It is very different from the online. It's not quite old-school Goldeneye, but it's close, and it's quite fun, really. I just wish there were a mode where you started with only a pistol and found the guns lying around still.

temmink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By temmink

Yeah that is definitely on the cards, but I have to say, getting guys around to play a game splitscreen is a lot harder than it used to be...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.