Note: This article's content is based on the most recent release. (4.1)
Overview GoldenEye: Source
is a mod
created for the Source engine
that recreates the multiplayer
of the original GoldenEye 007
. The mod recreates, as well as re-imagines, the maps of the original game with updated textures, layouts, models, and music. While currently a multiplayer-only game the developers have hinted a possibility for a remake of the game's single player mode.
The original Alpha of the game was released on December 25, 2005. The mod went out of beta phase on December 14, 2010 and now requires Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Currently, GoldenEye: Source
is exclusively an online multiplayer game. Game modes and weapon sets are all chosen at random, with the weapons changing at the end of every round. The maps are all based on familiar locations from the original, some originally not multiplayer, with some being total creations of classic maps and more on the way. The weapons that can be used remain unchanged though they now include weapons that originally were exclusive to Goldeneye 007's
single player. (Phantom, Golden PP7, Hunting Knife) Classic characters also appear, but currently the selection is not as diverse as in the original.
The gameplay is similar to the original, but with a few changes. Players can jump, a feature not present in the previous game, and while they still must manually aim, they can move while doing so. Beta 4 also introduced achievements into the game, with some ranked "Agent" to "00 Agent".
Current Maps "Classic" Maps: These maps appear with their layout and textures unchanged from the original GoldenEye 007.
Original Maps: These maps are based on their GoldenEye 007 counterparts, but have different layouts and updated textures.
- Library (Also includes the individual variations Stack and Basement)
- Facility / Facility Backzone (The former is based on the layout of the original's mutliplayer version of the map)
- Archives / Archives Frontzone (The latter is based on the layout from the original's multiplayer variation of the map.)
- Casino (Original map, inspired by Casino Royale)
Game ModesReturning from GoldenEye 007
Exclusive to GE: Source
- Deathmatch / Team Deathmatch: Self-explanatory.
- License to Kill: All kills are instant kills.
- The Living Daylights: Players win by either garnering enough kills or holding one of two flags for the longest amount of time.
- Man With the Golden Gun: Weapon set includes a non-respawning Golden Gun, which kills players with one shot, and is the only way to score.
- You Only Live Twice: Players only respawn twice. Last man standing wins.
- Dr. No Armor : Actually just normal deathmatch without armour.
- Capture the Key: Based on the classic multiplayer mode, GE:S has two variations: one has individual players collect the most keys, the other has two teams try to take their key or briefcase.
- Live and Let Die: One player plays as Baron Samedi. A player has to kill him with the Golden Gun to win the game while the Baron must kill all the other players to win. While players respawn if killed by another once a player, once they are killed by the Baron is killed by him, they are emilinated from play.
- GunGame: Based on a popular Counter-Strike mod, players start with the most powerful weapon in the game. With each successful kill, their gun changes to a less powerful one. The first one to kill with the weakest weapon wins.
- The game is dedicated to Nicholas "nickster" Bishop, the mod's creator, who committed suicide in 2006.
- Players can be awarded two special Steam achievements in the game if they kill, or they are killed by, players on the development team or beta testers.