Are Goombas psychokinetics?

#1 Edited by imhungry (1064 posts) -

So Nintendo just put out this preview of a new mode in the new Mario Party.

The mode itself seems fine, if maybe not what I would think fans of this hell series would want, but it does show footage of Goomba being a playable character holding things. When I saw the thumbnail I assumed Goombas would hold things in their mouths, ala the Chain Chomp in Mario Tennis Aces, but the video quickly reveals that the Goomba just has the paddle, and later a candle stick, just sort of float in front of him. Adding to the mystery, the mini-game at 7:20 has the Goomba holding a boomerang in his mouth like I expected.

So I ask you, Giant Bomb. Have Goombas been hiding their psychokinetic powers all this time, acting like they were helpless in the face of Mario and Bowser's limbs and opposable thumbs and just biding their time waiting for a chance to rise up? Do they have invisible hands? Why do they still balance things on their head and hold things in their mouths? Am I high? The premier video game wiki of the internet needs to know.

#2 Posted by Undeadpool (6722 posts) -

It WOULD explain how they kill the player merely by touching them. Maybe it's a kind of Tactile Telekinesis, like Superboy has (they didn't want to give ANOTHER character super strength), so they can't move stuff at a distance, but their strength is bottomlessly strong at close range.

Then again: Mario Party isn't canon.

#3 Edited by JeremyF (277 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Definitley.

#4 Posted by dudeglove (13572 posts) -

aren't goombas mushrooms?

#6 Posted by ShaggE (9121 posts) -

:O Stay thine tongue! Mario Party is the truest of canon!

#7 Edited by Undeadpool (6722 posts) -

@shagge said:
@undeadpool said:

It doesn't mean it isn't good. It's the Metal Gear Rising of Mario.

#9 Posted by ghost_cat (2198 posts) -

Goombas are born with tiny, tiny invisible hands.

#10 Edited by ShaggE (9121 posts) -

@undeadpool said:
@shagge said:
@undeadpool said:

It doesn't mean it isn't good. It's the Metal Gear Rising of Mario.

*clutches chest in shock* How very dare you! Mario Party is both terrible and canon! (much like how Bullet Bill launchers are both terrible and cannon)

(but not like how Link's nemesis is both terrible and Ganon)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.