Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gothic 3

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 20, 2006

Gothic 3 is an action RPG in which you can choose to side with Orcs or Humans, deciding the fate of the two races.

Should I buy this on the Steam sale?

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mazik765

So Gothic 2 and 3 are on sale on Steam for $4.99 for both of them. Are either of these games worth playing? What kind of games are they and have they aged well? I see they are a few years old and I had heard of some bug issues. What games would be comparable to these? Thanks for the help!

Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Fade2Gray

That sale caught my eye too, so I looked into Gothic 3's bug issues and learned that the steam version actually includes a community developed patch that fixes most of the major issues. I bought it but haven't played it yet, so I can't say if it's actually fun. But it is only five bucks.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sumbog

Hell ya, I did. Their broken as hell and the combats not all that great but I love them. Gothic 2 Im pretty sure is unplayable at this point, at least I've had trouble going back (the cameras werid). Gothic 3 has more bugs then the kid in the third grade who never showered. But you know when that kid shit his pants and it was the funniest thing you ever saw, that moment is the best way to describe Gothic 3. Its a European gem, and if your willing to slough through a load of shit you might just find the diamond hidden underneith.     

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ch13696

Is the Gothic series sale only today? I need someone to tell me quick so I can try to get some money.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ATrevelan

Gothic 2 does not play nice with on 64-bit systems with nvidia cards. They are working on fixing that in a driver update, though. Even if they can't, Gothic 3 is pretty sweet for 2 bones.

Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fade2Gray
    @ch13696:
    Yep. 11 more hours.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By shirogane

Can your PC handle it? If so, they're pretty awesome. I guess the buggy European version of Morrowind/Oblivion would be one way to describe it? But that's not quite right. Closest i can get though.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Evilsbane

For the love of god do not install Gothic 3 on your computer, Risen is a much better game, just understand I can handle shitty games fine but Goth ic 3 shocked me with its shittyness, I have heard 2 was good in its day. 

Imagine that Gothic 3 is like Fable and Oblivion except run those two games through a meat grinder and take a huge shit on them and you get Gothic 3.

Edit: And yes this is after all the patches that were put out, its still worthless.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Fade2Gray said:
    " I looked into Gothic 3's bug issues and learned that the steam version actually includes a community developed patch that fixes most of the major issues. "
    I never would have expected this in a million years. Community patches are the best thing to hit PC RPGs, but to have one distributed alongside the game from the retailer is just weird.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By shirogane
    @Fade2Gray said:
    " @ch13696: Yep. 11 more hours. "

Huh? it is? It's not part of the daily sale for me, just a normal sale item.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Shirogane said:
    " @Fade2Gray said:
    " @ch13696: Yep. 11 more hours. "
    Huh? it is? It's not part of the daily sale for me, just a normal sale item. "
    It looks like it might be. The rest of the sales changed 11 hours ago while Gothic was 8 hours ago, according to steamgamesales.com
    Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fade2Gray

These "daily" sales seem to change a lot. Earlier this morning Gothic was $1.99. After I did my research into the bug issue the price had jumped to five (probably why the time is listed differently). They seem to mess around with those dailies a fair bit because I've seen them do similar things a few time now over the past few days. They must be adapting to sales numbers in real time or something... that or they keep miss-marking things. they had civ IV warlords valued at over $350 this morning, lol.

Edit: here is the steam forum post that mentions the community patch (version 1.6) being included with the game. just look down at the first JoWood publisher post.

thesteelcondor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By thesteelcondor

The newest community patch changed alot and it's quite playable so far. They even changed how the AI works.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.