Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

GT5 early game tips

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

generalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By generalen

-Try to clear the first three sets of licenses before you have a go at the A-spec stuff. Not only do you learn to handle different cars in different situations, but you'll get some cars out of it as well. I can't remember which license set that gives which car, but you'll get one or two decent ones that should make the early A-spec stuff easy without spending too much money on tuning. Clearing them on bronze should be fairly easy, but don't give up until you've cleared at least silver! It's all about trial and error.

Protip: check out the "play example replay"-feature. It's in the last menu before the race/event, three icons to the right of "start". Try to memorize what's being shown and apply it when you're driving. Extra tip during this mode: press select to change the camera angle.

-If you find yourself constantly two or three tenths of a second off the next trophy when you're doing licenses or special events, try turning traction control completely off in the settings menu before the race. You'll be able to apply more throttle at the exit of corners and while in gentle corners. Speaking of assists: You should also turn off all the other stuff as well (except maybe ABS and driving line), as you won't need those assists in the low-powered cars you'll be driving early on. 

-Lastly: learn to drive with manual shifting. Automatic shifting just slows you down. It forces you to take corners too slow or too fast, and you're pretty much always in the wrong gear at the exit of corners. All in all, it's just a hassle. While you're at it, change your camera view to either cockpit or bumpercam if you haven't already. It gives a greater sense of speed and distance so you can brake later. 

Here's a helpful tip from a Jalopnik commenter for a particular race: 
    Having trouble with the Top Gear Test Track Samba bus race? Try ignoring the racing line and follow these rules: Tap the brake at Wilson. Take the inside at Chicago and tap the brake, Take the inside at the hammerhead and tap the brake, then cut the corner when you start turning right, then flat out until you hit Bacharach start outside of the racing line, don't cut the inside so much that you go off the track, but come close, and just tap the brakes, then let off the gas a bit through Gambon, and across the line! 

Remember if you hit another bus or try to pull a Tom Cruise you'll be disqualified. You are allowed to sideswipe buses as long they are turning into you also.  
    After a few tries you should be able to pass them all in one lap.    
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#52  Edited By gla55jAw
    @snide said:

"a Front Wheel Drive American Muscle classic"

"Front Wheel Drive" and " America Muscle classic" do not go together Dave. I'm guessing you mean "Rear Wheel Drive"? As the owner of a 78 Z28 Camaro, It's killing me haha.
    RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#53  Edited By RainVillain

Fantastic tips Dave. Nice to see someone from the GB staff passionately write in the forums.

Good idea about the assists. I'm new to racing games and am playing with assists on. Definitely relying on them.. will try it out without them. I bought a DFGT wheel and have left it at default settings... should I change anything?

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#54  Edited By snide
    @gla55jAw: You are correct sir! I meant front engine! I'll fix.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By Red12b
    @Siphillis said:
    " By turning off all assists, I assume that includes switching to Professional Handling, Manual Transmission, and turning Traction and Stability Control all the way down. "
    Yeah, definitely turn off traction control and brake and steer assist, the weigh you down.  

It's good to lose traction sometimes, it can get you into a gap you couldn'tve  otherwise. 
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Red12b
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " @OmegaPirate: In my case I've mapped the the L2 and R2 triggers to brake and accelerate respectively. For the right analog stick I've assigned the up and down motions to changing gears. It might be a little odd at first for some people but you get used to it plus manual transmission is generally faster then auto. "
    that's how I do it, R1 is handbrake and L1 is look behind. 
    Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

Wheel recommended?  My Driving Force GT is still in the mail so I'm not playing GT5 until then since my opinion of it would be skewed : /

Avatar image for stefanthemongol
    StefanTheMongol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By StefanTheMongol

I recommend turning off traction control. It saps a lot of power especially on lower horsepower cars.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By Jace
    @thehuntsmen5434:  

I use the DFGT. I love it.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By yakov456
    @thehuntsmen5434
    Wheel recommended?  My Driving Force GT is still in the mail so I'm not playing GT5 until then since my opinion of it would be skewed : /
    Absolutely, I can't imagine playing it any other way. Before the wheel the controller feels fine. After, not a chance.
    nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By nail1080

It's 2010 and people still need tips on how to play a GT game? C'mon, you drive around in circles, it's really not that hard and the formula for how to play the single player game has been the same since GT1.     

GT does not have a long learning curve whatsoever.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#62  Edited By obcdexter
    @nail1080 said:
    "  It's 2010 and people still need tips on how to play a GT game? C'mon, you drive around in circles, it's really not that hard and the formula for how to play the single player game has been the same since GT1.     

GT does not have a long learning curve whatsoever. "
    Of course the basic principle of GT or any racing game is fairly easy to grasp: You drive around a track and try to finish 1st.
    However, becoming a better driver at GT is a steady task anyone serious about it should put a certain amount of thought into. Mastering a car's
    driving habits, completely memorizing a track's layout and how to break properly in different situations for example are all quite difficult tasks. (Not to mention the
    endless amount of ways to set your vehicle up via tuning and tweaking.)
    Considering how much content PD always stuff into the GT games, I dare to say fully learning how to perfectly play every aspect of GT5 is near impossible.
    Not to forget that--apart from the earlier accessible race events--GT is not an easy racing game in the first place.

Also, this discussion is alive and well, so obviously numerous people did find snide's thoughts helpful.
    Your comment reads a little like: "Shut up about GT5 already, it is pissing me off!"
    skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By skunk
    @snide said:
    " To clarify for those who asked, when I say "turn the assists off" I mainly mean dropping the line assist, setting yourself to professional mode and using a manual transmission. I think dropping the line assist is the most important part of the process. When it's on, you focus way too much on that line and not the cars in front of you and the curves ahead. After about 20 races you'll discover a natural braking habit to curves and start learning the tracks. You learn when to brake as a natural ability that will work on all tracks rather than as a mechanic that is specific to the turn you're on. I'd never tell anyone how to play their game, if you like playing a certain way, go for it. At the same time, from my own experience, the game didn't become bearable to me till I committed a couple hours to crashing into walls until I felt comfortable breaking into turns. "
    Do this people!! Turning off the line is crucial. This way you can focus on taking the corner and not lining up the car with the line, then take the corner. Another good tip to learning the track is to take grab your favourite ride and go for a relaxed "time trial". Take all the turns super low and just cruise the course, focusing on learning each turn rather than going fast. Also, try not to constantly look up at the map as the turns are coming, try to memorize the turns after you take them. Trust me, driving slow as balls around a course may not sound like the most fun thing to do but you will learn the course much quicker. Just take each progressive lap a little faster and you'll be ripping through corners like a pro.
    ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By ocdog45
    @snide: Thanks for the tips. i have to keep checking the GT5 forums cause i love racing but this is the first time i wanna get serious with GT. i know its hardcore and any tips would help.
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @obcdexter said:
    " @nail1080 said:
    "  It's 2010 and people still need tips on how to play a GT game? C'mon, you drive around in circles, it's really not that hard and the formula for how to play the single player game has been the same since GT1.     

GT does not have a long learning curve whatsoever. "
    Of course the basic principle of GT or any racing game is fairly easy to grasp: You drive around a track and try to finish 1st. However, becoming a better driver at GT is a steady task anyone serious about it should put a certain amount of thought into. Mastering a car's driving habits, completely memorizing a track's layout and how to break properly in different situations for example are all quite difficult tasks. (Not to mention the endless amount of ways to set your vehicle up via tuning and tweaking.) Considering how much content PD always stuff into the GT games, I dare to say fully learning how to perfectly play every aspect of GT5 is near impossible. Not to forget that--apart from the earlier accessible race events--GT is not an easy racing game in the first place. Also, this discussion is alive and well, so obviously numerous people did find snide's thoughts helpful. Your comment reads a little like: "Shut up about GT5 already, it is pissing me off!" "
    QFT but that guy was an obvious troll.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Red12b

holy shit get racing tires as soon as you are able, I cut 14 seconds off of my lap time by doing so.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By gla55jAw
    @Red12b said:
    " holy shit get racing tires as soon as you are able, I cut 14 seconds off of my lap time by doing so. "
    Will do. Thanks Red.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By gla55jAw

Also a tip if you're running low on Credits, do B-Spec races!

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#69  Edited By ZimboDK

We need more tips people!

This is mainly for Rally events:

• Gravel is slippery as hell!
    • If you haven't done so already, turn the racing line off. While it may be nice to have on tarmac, it's pretty much useless on gravel. It can tell you when to brake, but can't teach you you how to approach a corner.
    • Forget everything you've learned while driving on tarmac. Gravel is a different beast. If your back end doesn't swing out during corners, you're doing it wrong! Just don't overdo it, or you will slow down significantly.
    • Don't panic! This is useful advice in both rallying and if you find yourself stranded in space. If you countersteer and let the car do its thing, it will usually end up correcting itself when you exit a corner.
    • You have a handbrake, use it! You may need to tap the handbrake in hairpins to initiate a drift. Just don't hold it down or you will end up spinning out.
    Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Robo

Because they keep getting mentioned here, a note on B-Spec races:

B-Spec races can be fucking retarded. More specifically, your AI drivers can be fucking retarded.

If the level of the race is the same or one below my driver's level, unless I push him to first in the first or second lap the driver CAN NOT manage any decent position later in the race.
    Even if I try to force an unfair advantage and give him a car modded to near perfection and twice the horsepower of the rest of the field, he's still too scared to pass people.

He'll ride the brakes instead of passing, even when I command him to overtake. He's scared to hit the gas in straights no matter how many times I ask him to "pace up" and no matter how much he desperately needs to make up time. He sways left and right in straights for absolutely no reason even while he's not frustrated, causing him to slide out when a turn comes up. He randomly smashes the gas in turns where it will OBVIOUSLY spin him out if he's anywhere above medium temperament. The list goes on. The shitty AI of the opponents only adds to the issues.

It's so frustrating to watch. On top of all that, once he gets in this 'mood' I can't just restart the race, I have to quit out and wait through loading screens.

If this driver were on my team, I'd be calling him every goddamned name in the book over the mic and raising some serious questions about his manhood. He wouldn't be on the team long at all.
    I'm trying to get through the last beginner race now, FR challenge. Every time someone in front of him brakes hard - where he obviously should be passing - he just brakes behind them even harder, sometimes costing a whole 'nother position. A goddamned RX-7 has a full 7 second lead in the 5th lap right now his 567hp highly modified/tweaked '62 special. When I did this race in the same car I had almost double that gap over a corvette in 2nd place.

Great, now he gets the shit stomped out of him in a goddamned Shelby Cobra by two 350z's because he REFUSED to pass a slow ass G35 for half the race, just riding his rear bumper.

Finally just barely got first. This time at least there was some legit competition from a Supercharged Series One. The AI's ability -or lack thereof- just seems so...artificial. So obviously forced. I'm not particularly amazing, but this guy makes me look like a pro.

Ana_kay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I for one appreciate it so thank you.

A

beanswater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciate you digging up this old thread, because I read the entire OP thinking these were GTA5 starting tips and they were playing that game EXTREMELY narrowly. It took scrolling back up to see the icon of the game to realize what I was looking at

@ana_kay said:

I for one appreciate it so thank you.

A

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.