Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

My GT5 Dream,

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

is to use the course creator to re-create my route home from work and take the car I drive to work everyday and see how quickly I can possibly get home after work!  

its not far, only a few miles.  
    the plan is to use my phone to record the topography and altitude of the route.  

In real life I can get home in less than twenty min on a good day. I bet I can do it in less than 5 flat out!(in my same car.) 

Now that the track editor is a real thing I am actually going to start taking this seriously!  

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By DrPockets000

There's something seriously wrong with you if you want to spend your game time driving home from work.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

Did you dream it was coming out?

Badumtsh.

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By Stefan

Did you dream GT5 was great, I saw it at gamescom yesterday (blogged about it) and I gotta say that I am not impressed by the game. 

edit: though I like your idea :-D

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By danimal_furry
    @DrPockets000 said:
    "There's something seriously wrong with you if you want to spend your game time driving home from work. "

Ha! Yeah. It's an effin death drive every morning and afternoon for me. I swear people in Raleigh have lost their minds. My famousquote is that you need to read the Art of War and have 5 years experience in NASCAR to survive on 440. 

As for my expectations.... I want a Masarati. Since I will never have a real one, I want one for GT 5
    DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DukesT3

They should have a cross country driving mode. REAL TIME BABY! YEooWW!!!

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By EVO

That's actually a pretty rad idea.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By immike

Track editor? WOW that's cool!

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I want to put a bitchin' fire bird on the hood of my Chevrolet.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Red12b

Awesome idea dude

goudaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By goudaj

The Course Maker is more like a Course Generator, it's no Modnation Racers. Here's a run down of it from 1up.com:

Yamauchi then points out that GT5 has a Course Maker, not a course editor. He initially wanted to offer a tool that would allow players to create everything from scratch, but that would require producing a crazy-intensive CG tool that would intimidate players too much. So he opted for a system that would allow pretty much anyone to make a cool track.

The idea is that after selecting a theme (such as "early evening in Toscana" or "Germany in spring"), you'd then tell it to tweak some parameters (such as number of sections, one-way versus looped courses, weather, and time), and tell it to crunch those factors into a randomly generated map. Yamauchi likes the fact that "each course generated will be a genuine surprise" through this system. Of course, you can also share courses and race online with buddies in your creation.

Yamauchi demonstrates the Course Maker by selecting a Toscana theme and making it a one-way course with four sections. He does stuff like fiddle with the numbers for the frequency of curves, the sharpness of corners, and even the degree of topography. It's super fast and easy to tweak these numbers and then go right into a test drive before sharing the track with buddies -- and he demonstrated how fast the game can just create random and varied courses even when crunching the same numbers and parameters.

And some pics of the menu:

So sadly I don't think you'll be able to re-create your commute home. :(
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By KaosAngel
    @goudaj: ....oh my god, can I make that go downhill like an Initial D stage?  O_O
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Devil240Z
    @goudaj: I will surely try.  Determination and creativity can do wonders with even the most limited tools. 

I also want to try to replicate some other awesome driving roads around where I live.  

@Red12b: Thanks for your support buddy.  

@Stefan: You must not be much of a GT fan. I imagine I will spend many many hours playing this game.  

@DrPockets000:
     Yeah but in a game I dont have to obey traffic laws :P 

Anyway I am going to gather some data on my way to and from work today. Log some GPS points and such. 
    Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Stefan
    @Devil240Z: no, I really liked GT4 on ps2 and GT1 on ps1 but GT5 just didn't look like fun at gamescom. They had a playable version of the game there so I saw the real deal. To be honest it looked a lot like Forza 3 which is just not enough for me for a game which has been under development for ages now. From what I saw I don't expect anything more than an average to good racing game.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By landon

Game isn't coming out.

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stefan
    @Landon: nah, it looked very final. The GT5 racing seats filled half the space of the PS3 booth so they are quite confident about that.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Devil240Z
    @Stefan: I just don't see how you can be right.  

Anyway! I collected some data! Now if I remember correctly, there is a hard limit on distance of a track. 6.5 miles I think. I logged 6.7 but I can snip the ends off and fit the good bits in.  

I should say, I do think my route home would make a pretty good rally special stage. (no gravel though just tarmac.) And out of pure coincidence I drive right past a shop that builds Rally cars. And I should also say that my fair city once hosted a World Rally event in the group B rally days and is now a yearly Rally America event. 

Using Google Earth I think I can get the data I need to recreate the course in game. Assuming that the course creator lets you design shit how you want to.  And hopefully there isn't a shitty limit on altitude. 

Please dont use this info to stalk and 'rape murder rape' me. That isn't nice to do. 
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=208641550682237000998.00048e3ad8e69957297be
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Afroman269
    @ajamafalous said:
    " Did you dream it was coming out?   Badumtsh. "
    I very much like this. You beat me to it sir.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Devil240Z

Still I think its going to be a speed tree like course creator. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.