Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

What is not to like?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I got Gran Turismo 5 for Christmas, and being someone who isn't into cars that much I still enjoyed the fuck out of it. It was fun, challenging, looked great, and had a crazy amount of detail. The game feels fantastic and is fun. Just curious as to what some people didn't like about the game, since from what I played, it's great. 

Thanks.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Maybe I put this wrong, why are so many people disappointed with it?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By OmegaPirate

Its a console exclusive that took a long time to get made and unfortunately fell short in a couple of areas that other games in the genre have managed to set a standard in during that time. 

I for one agree with you though, i got it on launch and constantly find myself drawn to it - im one gold license away from the full 60, and could not be having more fun with it if i tried. 

However as i mentioned initially, an exclusive game that doesn't hold your hands and provide 'easy outs' - that fanboys from all sides of all fences will either put up on a pedestal - or slag down for no reason other than being a complete troll (see anything raymayne has said about the game in any gt5 related forum - in fact better yet, wait for him to show up here) 

Glad to see you are enjoying the game though, feel free to ask everyone in the forums if you need any help with it - binman has been a great help with the licenses for me - also be sure to gear up for the 1st of january onwards when we start race nighting it! x 

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By FritzDude

I guess people are disappointed because they had a high bar on what it should turn out to be. 1000 cars = 200+ premiums and 800 high-res models from GT4. day, night and weathers can only be turned on on certain maps, and those are few of. It's a great game, a fantastic game, and i'm pleased on how it turned out to be.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @OmegaPirate: Thanks, I am fairly new to the whole simulation type racing scene so I will come back and ask if I need help! ^__^
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ArchScabby

The flaws.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

GT5 has the Duke Nukem Forever complex. Took forever to make, and can never live up to expectations. Sure certain things has evolved like damage that you don't have to unlock and greater customization of cars that other sim racers has sort of set the bar that GT5 never got the note apparently. Oh and the whole more standard cars then premiums is a real black eye as well.  

But, I still like it. There is damage in the one spot that matters (online) and unless you are a graphics whore getting 1000 cars should offset the whole standard vs premiums thing. Of course its not without its faults. PD had promised GT5 for nearly 5 years now, even though they got side tracked and made Tourist trophy, GT5P, and GT for the PSP in the 5 year gap. The realization that it took them 6 months to make one car in premium model was a big drawback as well as the perfectionist attitude PD took in getting the project done. PD had thought the PS3 was capable of much more, and had set his team to try to unlock the PS3 full capabilities, only to hit diminishing returns years ago without a finished product still. Overall, GT5 was the result of a lot of gambles that didn't pay off development wise and critic from a game review point of view. Now that PD actually knows the limit the PS3 has and how long it takes to detail one car, GT6 shouldn't have as many delays whenever that should arrive.  

PS: SInce you just got it over Christmas, you probably didn't play the game in the "incomplete" state the game was before a bunch of patches it had recently. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @StaticFalconar said:
    "  PS: SInce you just got it over Christmas, you probably didn't play the game in the "incomplete" state the game was before a bunch of patches it had recently.  "
    1.5 gigs of patches in the first month alone.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Bouke

I bought it at launch after friends talked up the GT franchise and was pretty dissappointed. The car physics and premium car models are all really well done but other things in the game feel outdated or rushed. I especially hate the menu structure and things like having to unlock colors to paint your cars. Why is it that if i want my car a certain color i can't even preview what it will look like until i spent 2000 credit on it!? Why is it that if i want to race a certain car and it doesn't have the right tires my only choice is to back out a number of menu's to buy the tires and then find the race that i wanted to do again. A number of races require you to tune your car and find a the right setup for the event; a game like Forza lets you download these from people that actually know what they're doing; GT5's option is to go online? 
    Fortunately Polyphony is working on improvements and has already put out 3 patches (which will be a nightmare if you buy the game 6 months from now), that give you credits and experience in online races and new races in the GT life menu (among other things). But i still find it hard to get into the singleplayer of the game because large parts of it feel like a real grind. 

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Reuben

When you play Forza 3 then go to GT5, you notice a lot of things that are wrong with it. Still it is a great game and I'm glad I bought it. I guess people have been hard on it because it was in development for so long. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By toowalrus

You keep referring to the game in the past tense, are you done playing it already?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @CaLe said:

" The terrible interface really holds the whole thing back. "

Seriously. Who in gods name decided it was a good idea to use a faux mouse pointer to navigate the menus? Christ. 

My brother got one of those Logitech wheels for Christmas though. Seems pretty fun with that.
    Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @CaLe said:

Seriously. Who in gods name decided it was a good idea to use a feux mouse pointer to navigate the menus? Christ.  My brother got one of those Logitech wheels for Christmas though. Seems pretty fun with that. "
    This. I fucking hate when games decide to do that. 
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By gla55jAw
    @Reuben said:
    " When you play Forza 3 then go to GT5, you notice a lot of things that are wrong with it. Still it is a great game and I'm glad I bought it. I guess people have been hard on it because it was in development for so long.  "
    I would agree with this. Although I did have a decent amount of fun with it. After a while though, when the races start to actually get challenging you start to notice the flaws.Still a good game. I just lost interest after about 2 weeks,
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Reuben said:
    " When you play Forza 3 then go to GT5, you notice a lot of things that are wrong with it. Still it is a great game and I'm glad I bought it. I guess people have been hard on it because it was in development for so long.  "
    What does Forza 3 do that GT5 doesn't? 
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlexW00d
    @NekuSakuraba: Baby you through everything. 
    GT5 is for serious Sim Racers, it really doesn't give two shits for anyone else. Whereas Forza tries to cater for everyone, which is why you can make it arcade as fuck and be able to win everything by playing like you would in NFS. As a game, that is probably a good decision, but a lot of people don't take this into account when they compare them.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @AlexW00d
    @NekuSakuraba: Baby you through everything. 
    GT5 is for serious Sim Racers, it really doesn't give two shits for anyone else. Whereas Forza tries to cater for everyone, which is why you can make it arcade as fuck and be able to win everything by playing like you would in NFS. As a game, that is probably a good decision, but a lot of people don't take this into account when they compare them.
    I'm not a serious sim racer at all and I still enjoy it.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlexW00d
    @NekuSakuraba: Same here, but they made it with (I hate to use the word but...) 'hardcore' audience in mind, which, I assume, is why they have implemented the same UI since the first game as they'd be used to it? That's an assumption, but it makes sense to me. 
    I am going off track. No pun intended.
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Grissefar

The first 10 or so hours of GT5 are great. You do some licence tests, some special events, some A-spec and a little B-spec and it's all good. You buy a better car and upgrade it and win some races with it and are happy about the game. You play some more and you realize:

-So, these load times and this menu system is a little sluggish. 

-Hmm, there is no cap on the races. I can just bring my fully tuned beast car against 100 BHP street cars.  

-Yuck, there's no need for all those 1000 cars since the game only encourages you to use your best 2-3 cars.  

-Ugh, those licence tests and speicial events aren't rewarding. Why should I spent x amount of minutes getting a medal and 20000 Cr and a car I will never drive when I can get 50000-120000 Cr and more xp in 3 minutes in some A-spec races?

-Geez, these levels take some time and from 25 there's no new races or events - only endurance runs. Hello 24-hours of Le Mans.

But some of those flaws are easy to forget once you get the X1. Man! That thing is fun as HECK to drive.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By rjayb89
    • I wish the mouse pointer would wrap around selections (to go from start race to exit with one button press rather than multiple button presses)
    • I wish you could restart a license trial immediately after earning a silver trophy or less

I'm sure there are many other things I wish could be implemented into the game but it's 7AM where I am and I've barely slept.  Anyways, coming from someone who has only enjoyed arcade racing games like Blur and Burnout Paradise (moreso the latter), the feel of the cars and B-spec (oddly enough) are what keeps me coming back for more.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By eroticfishcake

As a long time fan of the series here's what I've noticed so far: 

1. Rewards for races/licence tests are either crap or unbalanced. For example, one of the Formula 1 races involving 20 laps (half an hour) nets you 90,000 creds or so whereas another 5 lap race on a NASCAR track gets you roughly the same in four minutes.
    2. The menu is functional and cleaner then GT4 but it's still a little cluttered in a few places.
    3. Loading times can be unusually long at some spots though the mini-installations certainly help.
    4. Not enough events in comparison to GT4 (though that new patch that introduces seasonal events help a bit).
    5. Some races are either too easy or just outright difficult in an unfair way (not much of these however).
    6. A few licence tests are unnecessarily anal when it comes to disqualifications (read: Super Licence).

I've got loads more but I'll just be nit-picking plus I'm pretty damn tired. Despite the flaws in it I'm really enjoying other aspects of the game as I've always had with the previous iterations of Gran Turismo. Hell, I even bought the Signature Edition plus a GT Wheel for this.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

I think its been so long since the last game that people kind of forgot what GT does and expected Forza or Burnout or some shit. When I see people bitching about crash damage, I just wonder what the fuck they think they're playing. I'm not saying the game is perfect, there's a lot of middling shit in there, but I've seen people complain about staples of the series.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crunchUK
    @AlexW00d said:

" @NekuSakuraba: Baby you through everything. GT5 is for serious Sim Racers, it really doesn't give two shits for anyone else. Whereas Forza tries to cater for everyone, which is why you can make it arcade as fuck and be able to win everything by playing like you would in NFS. As a game, that is probably a good decision, but a lot of people don't take this into account when they compare them. "

Why don't you tell all the people on fm.net who bought a ps3 solely to play GT5 that they went straight back to forza 3 because "you can make it arcade as fuck and be able to win everything by playing like you would in NFS"? You know, the people who spend £400 or more on fanatecs? 

What forza 3 does that GT5 doesn't is give a thought to the racing. It has this thing called a PI system, where the supposed overall performance of a car is given a numerical value and it means that when you enter the A class RWD hopper your Lotus 2-11 is matching some guy's Ferrari F50 round Suzuka allowing you to have a super intense battle and pit your own lovingly tuned creations and favourite cars against each other on a level playing field.  

It also has this thing called a Cycled Production hopper, where you get matched up more or less on the basis of ability and get put into the exact same unmodified cars on selected tracks supposed to work well. Ever tried racing CCXs at Road Atlanta against someone of the exact same (good) skill? Trying to outbrake someone at 190mph in a near-zero downforce car on a bumpy, hilly straight is something special. And the best part is that it takes about a minute to get set up in such a race. 

Fancy pitting some identically matched slick tyred, stripped out, fully roll-caged American Muscle cars against each other online? You should, it makes for superbly fun and epic sounding racing. Both games are perfectly capable of staging such a thing, the difference is that with forza 3, it will take you a few seconds finding a game in the B class RWD muscle hopper. If you want to do it in GT5, you need to find some people who are on the same skill level as you, tell them the exact restrictions (you can't just set a PI value and let everyone work out the best builds for themselves) , set a time, open the lobby, hope that they all turn up, and hope that the cars will be competitive with each other (because of course there is no way of actually knowing). I don't know how long that will take, but something tells me one race just isn't worth the insane hassle. 

Anyway, my point is that PD just don't know how to make a good online game, and single player is if anything secondary in forza 3, such is the greatness of multiplayer.
    Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Karmann
    @crunchUK:   What I don't understand is why people complain about the damage, do they drive around crashing all the time??? It's not a crashing simulator, it's a driving simulator. Why do I prefer GT5 to Forza3?, the car models are more detailed, Turn10 can't seem to model an accurate tail-light to save their lives. The car physics are better, not A LOT better, but braking and bodyroll deffinitely feels more realistic. And last but not least, the Logitech  GT wheel is actually GOOD, and costs 90 dollars on amazon, where-areas the microsoft wheel is CRAP, and the fanatec is so expensive and hard to find, it might as well not even exist. GT5 is meant to be played with a wheel, indeed some license tests are damned near impossible to Gold without one, and that is a testament to it's realism. Forza3 is a great game, and putting stupid stickers on a car is a ton of fun, but it is not a good simulator in my book.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AlexW00d
    @crunchUK: PD haven't even tried to make a good multiplayer game. They have tried to make as realistic as possible racing simulator they can. Not game, simulator. 
    All of your points are completely subjective anyway, what if I don't want to play online? Which I do not. None of what you said has any sort of bearing on my play style, and affects me in no way.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aus_azn
    @crunchUK: I distinctly remember F3's multiplayer being a lag shit-fest that took forever to find a match for me to join. Tried it once when the game was first out, then tried it once Che had left the building. It wasn't fun and made me write off online multiplayer racing forever. 
    I agree with @AlexW00d that states that Forza 3 is far more arcade-y.
    I liked the PI system and thought it was far more balanced, but again... F3 actually put me off of online multiplayer in a driving game forever, to the point where I only play private matches with my friends now. So competition really didn't matter to me. 
    People who bought Fanatecs... If they went out to spend $400 on a wheel for a console with one racing game, they probably had to tell themselves to justify the purchase. The wheel itself is more expensive than a PS3 and GT5 combined, and you can't use it on a PC.
    My biggest gripe with F3 though, is the fairly poor interior quality. Anyone who says the interior quality was amazing has pretty much only seen Audis.  How it wiped my entire car collection without resetting my races, and considering how difficult money is to come by in the game, also pissed me off to no end, but I can write that off as a unique problem.

All I really care for is the driving physics. While I may get pissed at how freaking difficult licence tests and challenges are, GT5 is a great game by comparison.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crunchUK
    @Karmann:  What are you talking about? You can't even adjust brake bias or pressure in GT5. And I know pixel perfect tail-lights are of the utmost concern, but I'd say an averagely modelled one is better than a flat texture (all too often [and rather noticeably] the case with standard cars). The car models certainly are more detailed, but then there's only really 200 of them compared with forza 3s current tally of about 500. As a car fan I would say the tradeoff is worth it. 

Anyway, to elaborate on my first post which is in actual response to the OP... if you care about proper racing as well as cars, GT5 is average at best. For a game they spent more than 5 years on though, it's truly atrocious - It's quite easy to imagine the bitter disappointment the people on my friends list who bought a ps3 just for GT5 felt. 

@Aus_azn: @AlexW00d: If you have no interest in the racing aspect that's fair enough but you're missing out horribly. I'd upload some replays if it didn't take aeons. I have spent about 600 hours and 18,000 miles in forza 3, the vast majority of which has been online. But anyway, I was just trying to enlighten the OP as to why some of us think less than highly of GT5.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KaosAngel
    @crunchUK: Doesn't matter what you think though, at the end it's the masses and GT5 outsold the top selling Forza game in it's first 12 days.  The public has spoken, they prefer GT5 over the Forza game, and PS3 has the lowest install base too.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crunchUK
    @KaosAngel said:

" @crunchUK: Doesn't matter what you think though, at the end it's the masses and GT5 outsold the top selling Forza game in it's first 12 days.  The public has spoken, they prefer GT5 over the Forza game, and PS3 has the lowest install base too. "

Having fun playing the sims there? Yeah, that's what I thought... It's an inane point to bring up in a discussion of each game's merits, unless of course you're trying to win some idiotic fanboy argument only you can see or feel the need to have.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @crunchUK: . I understand GT5 isn't the greatest game ever and has been a dissapointment for many since it has never lived up to the hype. But lets get the facts correct: You can indeed adjust brake bias, but not tire pressure. Even though the hype from PD/Sony has started 5 years ago for GT5, PD has made 3 other racing games in that same 5 year time span. GT5 certainly could have been a much better game then it is even with all the patches so far, but lets not get carried away here. Its apparent you like Forza more and thats fine, just don't be a fanboy about it. 
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KaosAngel
    @crunchUK: Forza has been out for 6 years now, it's an established franchise.  Yet it still can't do numbers that GT5 Prologue did, let alone what GT5 did.  Every driving fan knows Forza, and they still don't buy it.  Reviews for GT5 don't matter if they come from gamers, because the hardcore driving sim fans care about the driving and no one has complaints about that.  

Forza has shit wheel support, when every past GT game has supported whatever top-tier wheel was out that time.  They also have yet to include Super GT, F1, and Rally (something GT has had since 2001).

GT5 has had constant hate from people like you and it still double laps their biggest competitor.  Everyone has seen the GT5 reviews, and no one gives a damn. 

What's funny is that the PS3 has the lowest install base out of all the consoles and GT5 becomes the top selling PS3 exclusive in less than a month and also the top selling driving game this generation.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aus_azn
    @crunchUK said:

@Aus_azn: @AlexW00d: If you have no interest in the racing aspect that's fair enough but you're missing out horribly. I'd upload some replays if it didn't take aeons. I have spent about 600 hours and 18,000 miles in forza 3, the vast majority of which has been online. But anyway, I was just trying to enlighten the OP as to why some of us think less than highly of GT5. "
    Oh, please. I spent around the same amount of time in Forza 3. Over two saves (thanks to a midlife Xbox transfer), I invested a shitload of time. I can't give you the exact figure because I no longer have a 360, but I can tell you that I spent a significant portion of that getting the All Gold and Season Play achievements in career after being interrupted my first time when I had finished around the first half of the event map. So don't tell me that I haven't raced. I just haven't raced online, mainly because I couldn't. I painted too, another gripe I had with F3 due to the shadows cast on the car while painting.

I'm not going to argue on the portions of GT5 that suck ass, read: loading times, standard car graphics, tuning shortfalls and impossible challenges. If you want to hear that rant, I could write a review if I wasn't preoccupied with Persona 4 being fresh in my mind. Or maybe you'll read it in another thread. It's just that GT5 offers a better driving and racing experience, if you ask me.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crunchUK
    @KaosAngel said:

"  They also have yet to include Super GT "

^^^ either does not know what super GT is, or hasn't ever played forza 3 (it's even in the opening menu clip thing). That would explain why you're so eager to contribute meaningless statistics though, which again matters to nobody but you, trying to justify all those hundreds of american dollars you invested. Are you sure you didn't take a wrong turn at system wars or something? Because again, it's just not relevant to quality or appeal, try branding and marketing instead. How is the sims, by the way? 

Also, @Aus_azn: Racing online is just in a completely different universe to career mode. I mean, the gulf is just unimaginably vast.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KaosAngel
    @crunchUK: Whatever man, the majority of driving fans have proved their point.  They prefer GT5 over Forza, and the numbers don't lie.  You can hate all you want, and I'm done talking about this.   

Let me know when Forza can come close to what GT does in sales with the hardcore driving crowd, also let me know when a "driving sim" like Forza supports a decent wheel. 

EDIT:  Also, do you honestly think I try to justify hundreds of dollars I spend?  I own an Infinity and a Mercedes, the cost of GT5 and the wheel were barely much for me.  
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Aus_azn
    @crunchUK said:
    "Also, @Aus_azn: Racing online is just in a completely different universe to career mode. I mean, the gulf is just unimaginably vast. "
    Irrelevant if you can't even get into the gulf in the first place. F3 was mishandled at launch much as GT5 was, so I rest my case.

@KaosAngel said:
    " @crunchUK: Whatever man, the majority of driving fans have proved their point.  They prefer GT5 over Forza, and the numbers don't lie.  You can hate all you want, and I'm done talking about this.    Let me know when Forza can come close to what GT does in sales with the hardcore driving crowd, also let me know when a "driving sim" like Forza supports a decent wheel. "

Respect, KaosAngel. I take the same stance now. If you want to keep bashing your point in, crunchUK, PM me and see whether I respond. The forum does not need to be filled with another messy fanboy-argument.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By crunchUK
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Let me know when Forza can come close to what GT does in sales with the hardcore driving crowd"
    Hilariously delusional. If ever there was proof you're simply not capable of partaking in this discussion (apart from your complete and utter lack of experience with or knowledge of forza 3)...  

bye!
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By EpicSteve
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Reuben said:
    What does Forza 3 do that GT5 doesn't?  "
    Establish an entire franchise in the time between GT4 and GT5.
    endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By endless_void
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @CaLe said:

Seriously. Who in gods name decided it was a good idea to use a faux mouse pointer to navigate the menus? Christ.  My brother got one of those Logitech wheels for Christmas though. Seems pretty fun with that. "
    Agreed
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By onarum

even though this thread is mostly bashing GT5 it strangely made me go and order the damn thing, I just felt the need to try it myself for some reason.

Also why the hell Forza 3 has to ALWAYS be brought up on a GT5 thread? I don't see the OP mentioning it at all

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The  lack of consistency of consistency in GT5 bothers me a lot, some parts of it look amazing, while others are really poor.  This is mainly in regards to the standard cars, which are just embarrassingly bad.  I'm not really a graphics whore and wouldn't care if the game didn't look very good in general, but the fact it varies wildly makes it hard to ignore.  You can be looking at a super detailed, beautiful car..  With an ultra low rez, jaggy mess of one behind it. 

The over all design is really poor as well, the menu's are a pain to navigate and make playing the game harder than it needs to be.  For example, when you complete an event in Forza, you win a car.  When the race is over, it tells you about the car you win, it does some nice panning shots over your new vehicle, and you're back to the race menu.  In GT5, you win a ticket.  You then have to go back to the main menu, open up the ticket window, select your ticket.. THEN watch an animation of your car arriving.  Why? 

Forza also does a much better job of building an online community, races are easy to get into..  The storefront is available at all times where you can trade, buy or sell designs, cars and tune setups with everyone and easily browse through them.  GT5 lacks anything like this, and even accessing online play is more difficult than I've seen since the days of the PS2.  A lot of people bash Forza for being for casual gamers, but I'd say it simply provides more for them, the assist options are far more robust, you can set them to the point where the game practically plays itself or you can completely turn them off for realistic driving, which you're actually rewarded with more credits for, unlike in GT.  The rewind function is a step too far for some, but it doesn't have to be used (and shouldn't need to be, if you're really that hardcore) but is useful for learning how take turns, without having to restart an entire race for a second attempt.

Most importantly, the single player structure, driver AI, car physics and handling all perform far better in Forza.  That's not to say they're bad in GT5 (besides the AI) but Forza overall is a much better package.  If you're enjoying GT, I'd highly recommend checking out Forza as well.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By trace
    @Aus_azn said:
    " Irrelevant if you can't even get into the gulf in the first place. F3 was mishandled at launch much as GT5 was, so I rest my case. "
    As someone who's been playing the multiplayer since the very beginning, I can safely say that this statement is inaccurate for anyone I've played with. There have been connection issues, lag, and other hiccups over time, but nothing out of the ordinary for any multiplayer game I've played. As I said a long while back, it seems you've had really bad luck with Forza 3, and I guess I can't blame you for letting that influence your views.

Regarding the original question, the issues I've heard most about GT5 is that it's a good racing sim with a clunky and dated presentation, and stubborn AI that hasn't improved much from GT4. Most reviews will bring these points up and others, but since I haven't played GT5 myself, I wouldn't feel comfortable with saying anything more specific.

Also, comparisons between franchises is silly, and completely irrelevant to the original topic. Forza 3's excellent, Gran Turismo 5's still a good racing game, Turn 10 has yet to shit their pants over any other game (nor do they deserve death for their words), and iRacing.com is still prohibitively expensive. Enough said.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @NekuSakuraba: i got it for christmas with a steering wheel. this game is fucing fantastic. the guy from destructoid was right. 
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By onarum

I will have to play it with a DS3 though.... can't possibly afford a good  wheel right now, I hope it doesn't take from the experience too much.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By iam3green

i'm not to far into the game but i think it is a great game. i just think that people were expecting some far more than that. the only thing i don't like is the menus. i want to use a car i find a race, i find out that the car isn't upgraded all the way, i have to go back 2 menus, upgrade the car, and it takes a couple of minutes to do that. i think that is all that people are complaining about.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By JoelTGM

I don't know either.  It's a simulation racing game that offers amazing gameplay, a huge selection cars and tracks, and the best visuals I've ever seen in a racing game.  I think the quick look really soured everyone's feelings toward the game.  There was some sort of server error on the launch day, so they recorded an hour of nothing except moping and groaning, and then the comments were loaded with people poking at the game for how it took so many years to make a broken game.  My experience with the game was I installed it, then jumped in and immediately started having fun.  Like holy crap, flying through narrow streets and kicking the back end out just right to drift around a corner is awesome.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By Bouke
    @DOUBLESHOCK:  
    At first i was really down on GT5 (right when i got the game), because of issues with loading, car models and other flaws. But after playing it a while i warmed up to the game and could see some of the GT franchises appeal (and look past some of its flaws). Now i'm level 24 in A-spec and 21 in B-spec did almost all the licenses and most special events, have gold medals in all but some of the extreme series and i'm getting down on the game again. Where is the "huge amount of content" everyone was raving about!? GT5 is fast turning into more of a grind then most RPG's i've played. The late game events don't get you nearly enough money or experience; making you play the same races over and over to get to the next level. At least they patched in money and experience for online play (which wasn't there at launch!?) but that doesn't make a huge difference (just fixes something that was broken). Fortuantely PD did also patch in the seasonal events with some nice cash and experience to gain; so they must've noticed the grind that is GT5; a little late if you ask me.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Some really stupid design decisions, weird UI, and some of those cars...are just terrible. 
    Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Karmann

...came by this thread again after like 6 months!, yeah, proper wheel support and seasonal events still definitely give GT5 an edge over forza in my book, let's see what forza 4 brings.... 

I have a full cockpit setup by the way, so wheels are IMPORTANT to me, the microsoft wheel is still crap, and the fanatecs are still effin' unicorns! If something can't be found on either ebay, amazon or any physical store on my continent, it might as well not even exist. On the other hand, a bunch of GT5 supported wheels are readily available on amazon, that alone makes GT5 the ONLY driving simulator for consoles out there as far as I'm concerned. If you're not playing with a wheel, then it's not a simulator. ....and don't get me started on the F1 games, no one has ever driven a fucking F1 car, so fuck that, I might as well just play wipeout!!!! 

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By triple07

I didn't like the fact that it was a racing game. I'm assuming I'm not the target audience for this thread but I like to contribute!

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Devil240Z

I just hope they drop some more big patches soon. Stupid ass natural disasters and then PD moving across japan to a new office.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.