Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 6

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Dec 05, 2013

The sixth entry in PlayStation's flagship racing series, Gran Turismo 6 hopes to bring a better, richer driving experience, including 1200 cars and new features like improved car personalization.

GT6 is my game of the year.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The core game is done really well and Polyphony Digital seems to be making a great effort with their post launch support(updates and DLC) and I have high hopes for the future of the game. I have put roughly 40 hours(driving time) into the game so far and you can really clear a nice chunk of the game in that time. Though with seasonal events and whatever other DLC stuff PD thinks of I imagine that I will spend many many more hours with it. I find it pretty sad that the GT series is pretty misunderstood by the GB crew. I find it pretty interesting( and a little insane) as a guy who plays a ton of games that I am mostly alone here in having GT6 be the highlight of my 2013.

I'm really psyched for the future of GT in the light of Forza 5's failures. #failza

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has me extremely curious to hear what your top 10 games of the year are.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe you actually just hashtagged Failza...

Turn 10 is learning from their mistakes and making changes, and will surely have learned from them by the time F6 comes out. It seems that for both series, the fifth installment is looking to be the worst. GT6 seems to have learned from GT5, F6 will surely learn from F5.

Even though it's the lowest scoring GT game, good to hear something good about it.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Devil240Z

@truthtellah: Wow, I'm not sure I have much of a list.

@xyzygy: The hashtag was a joke. I am a huge forza fan too. But GT means more to me just cause its been around longer is all. If GT6 werent out I would be crying nightly since I don't have an Xbox one and cant play F5.

The list in no order:

GT6

Saints Row IV

Spacebase DF-9(Early Access)

Beyond: Two Souls

Gone Home

Rogue Legacy

Mark of the Ninja

Arma 3

The Stanley Parable

GTA V

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

methinks i got to the point where i won't proceed any further with it, and i've barely scratched the surface. i would feel guilty as fuck but the reality is there is a good chance i won't return to it (same as with all other GTs i've played before :( oh well, at least sony/polyphony have my money already!)

of course this may be due to me not having any self control and finishing my goddamn backlog of games, but meh.......

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Devil240Z

@ripelivejam: For me a new GT is like a major event in my life I have pretty clear memories of when GT4 came out, my fat PS2 couldn't read the disc so I had to scrape everything I could to buy a slim PS2 just so I could play it on launch day. I haven't played anything but GT6 since it came out. I've still got a little while before I'm ready to take a break from it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: For me a new GT is like a major event in my life I have pretty clear memories of when GT4 came out, my fat PS2 couldn't read the disc so I had to scrape everything I could to buy a slim PS2 just so I could play it on launch day. I haven't played anything but GT6 since it came out. I've still got a little while before I'm ready to take a break from it.

yeah i understand how expansive and addictive it is and maybe it's just cause i'm not really a car nut but i keep picking these things up thinking they'll stick and i only barely scratch the surface. it doesn't help that i have a huge backlog right now (just bought shadowrun returns :oops: ), but i'll try to give it another go in the next couple days and stick to it.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Yeah. For me I have a massive love of cars. It all started with GT.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@truthtellah: Wow, I'm not sure I have much of a list.

@xyzygy: The hashtag was a joke. I am a huge forza fan too. But GT means more to me just cause its been around longer is all. If GT6 werent out I would be crying nightly since I don't have an Xbox one and cant play F5.

The list in no order:

GT6

Saints Row IV

Spacebase DF-9(Early Access)

Beyond: Two Souls

Gone Home

Rogue Legacy

Mark of the Ninja

Arma 3

The Stanley Parable

GTA V

What the fuck man. Where is Revengeance?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grissefar: Didn't play it. Its not the game I wanted it to be. I was really disappointed with what it turned out to be. I just cant like Platinum games as much as I want to.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grissefar: Didn't play it. Its not the game I wanted it to be. I was really disappointed with what it turned out to be. I just cant like Platinum games as much as I want to.

What kind of person are you to not like Platinum games? It's the same what makes GT6 good - a rock solid core of gameplay. Only difference is, Revengeance doesn't feel like it was made in a hospital in 1998 and then rushed to market.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z said:

What kind of person are you to not like Platinum games? It's the same what makes GT6 good - a rock solid core of gameplay. Only difference is, Revengeance doesn't feel like it was made in a hospital in 1998 and then rushed to market.

I know, I'm a monster. Its something about the structure and not the actual gameplay I think.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@devil240z said:

I'm really psyched for the future of GT in the light of Forza 5's failures. #failza

I know fanboys will find a way to one up the opposing series one way or another, but I don't think Forza 5 being disappointing is any more worrying for the future of the series than it was for Gran Turismo when GT5 was incredibly disappointing. And it didn't have the excuse of being a rushed out launch game.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is all wrong.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Devil240Z

@devil240z said:

I know fanboys will find a way to one up the opposing series one way or another, but I don't think Forza 5 being disappointing is any more worrying for the future of the series than it was for Gran Turismo when GT5 was incredibly disappointing. And it didn't have the excuse of being a rushed out launch game.

Twas a joke man. I love Forza. And I call it FOR-Za not Fort-Za.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is all wrong.

if this is wrong I don't want to be right.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You know, I really do like the game, but its just not goty to me at all.

The thing I can't really put my finger on why.

GT6 is the most accessible one to date. No more levels of what you're driver must be to qualify what race and car to get. No more Second hand car shop wasting time just to hopefully get a glimps of your fav car then find out you don't have the right levels or something. The only real progression is License test (real logical, since no one is having fun if you spin out at every corner) and collecting a minimum number of stars that you get by completing races.

Besides opening up the more career races, the stars and license test also open up the fun side stuff like Goodwood festival of speed, redbull challenge, and driving on the MOOOONN!!!! It all is real easy and the payouts for everything doesn't make you have to grind anything really if you are indeed the smallest bit, a car guy that knows how to pick a half decent car for the next leg of your career. If one keeps in mind of having to diversify your garage when you initially expand it, you will never find yourself in the situation where you have to go back to grind some money.

In fact I was a bit shocked how open the game was. Every single car is now up for grabs, the only thing holding you back is money. This of course was initially great in my mind since as soon as I had enough money, I can go straight for the specific car I wanted. No more trying to buy a cheap regular Civic to start with, mod your way up and when you finally see the Spoon aftermarket Civic you snatch that up and never drive the regular one again. That makes hitting all your old miles stones of completing your personal garage of cars that you care about much faster as well as using them in the career mode that much earlier.

That being said, they kinda shot themselves in the foot as well. Before, I was waiting around for the perfect version of the R34 lets say, but now I can go directly to it. More now then ever, having 10 versions of the same car is a waste when its so easy to go for the one I want. At the same time however, what's my favorite version of the skyline may not be the same as others so i can see keeping the list as a good thing as well.

Still, the official F1 cars are suddenly gone, Top gear Test track has gone ethereal, and there's only the old WRC cars around. Despite having several pikes peak cars included now (yay), Pikes peak itself is no where to be found. Even though they don't make a big deal about the whole premium and standard cars, it still does exist.

Yes I'm glad they got the new Viper, Vette and Huarya; but they missed out the P1 and LaFerrari. The last two didn't come out yet, so I can't blame them too much, yet the veyron Super sport has been. The top speed record has been broken several times since gt5 and all the cars surrounding that dick measuring contest just aren't around.

Like I wrote before, I like GT6 but it still fails short of what I want it to be. Perhaps what I want really is too ambitious to truly make, but when you got games like the last of us that came out this year, I cannot say gt6 is goty for me since entire time playing gt6, I keep saying to myself how close gt6 was to my dreams, yet still just not quite there. When playing games like the Last of Us or BioShock inifinite even, I was immersed in the experience so much that I didn't mind all their short falls.

Yes I can see how I could have made this post into its own review or blog, but I guess I kinda just rambled on in typing a response./.......

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@staticfalconar: I agree with some of what you said. And if what you want GT to be is anything like what I want then PD are like 80% there most of whats missing is all menu based stuff. If they would just leverage the course creator then we could totally have a pikes peak rally or any infinite number of rallies. What I guess I really want is the ability to make my own single player career events. Pick the courses, cars, rules, everything, then all my GT dreams could probably come true, especially if the course creator is good.

the core of a racing game is the cars,tracks, and physics. the meat is all just menu based. setting up different kinds of races with different kinds of cars. FOR EXAMPLE. if I could just make up my own events with no restrictions I could do a 25 race GT500 Series, and just live that kind of racing, that could be my GT if I wanted or I could do a rally series that consists entirely of randomly generated stages.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and for the record GT will always be better than Forza because microsoft will not support third party steering wheel controllers.

I mean really just let us use our damn logitech wheels.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By aurahack

I'm having a lot of fun with it, too. I don't know if I'd call it that, though.

Maybe it's just because I'm tired of racing on Brands Hatch. I like that the circuit is in the game now but jesus fucking christ, do you really need to make me race it every second event series? And does every race have to be a shitty rolling start?

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and for the record GT will always be better than Forza because microsoft will not support third party steering wheel controllers.

I mean really just let us use our damn logitech wheels.

Half the stuff Microsoft gets away with keeps amazing me

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By topsteer

If I were to play it this year it would probably be GOTY for me as well. I still have a good bit of games I want to get through before I start buying newer games but GT6 will likely be the next game I buy. I love both Forza and Gran Turismo but GT has much better gameplay.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.