Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 6

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Dec 05, 2013

The sixth entry in PlayStation's flagship racing series, Gran Turismo 6 hopes to bring a better, richer driving experience, including 1200 cars and new features like improved car personalization.

GT6 the same as GT5 in progression, payouts, car prices

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SomeJerk

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-04-gran-turismo-6-microtransaction-pricing-revealed

The issue is, will Gran Turismo's progression system be adversely affected by microtransactions? Eurogamer's Martin Robinson has been playing the game and tells me GT6's economy works exactly the same as GT5's, with progression, payouts and car prices very similar.

Sony maintains that GT6's microtransactions offer players an alternative fast-track route through the series' famously grindy progression. Eurogamer's review will be published on Friday.

You still get cars for winning, you still get a crapload of credits for winning (compared to GT5 which was terrible at start), you're still pretty damn dumb if you think GT6 microtransactions are just as evil as the ones in Forza 5.

Wait for more numbers of how much you earn for race victories in GT6 to come out in the next few days.

You'll see that it is Forza 5 that is an industry-screwing problem, GT6 is only doing what players asked for.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dammit I said I wasn't going to get interested in GT6, now I'm intrigued. Never played 5.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Dammit I said I wasn't going to get interested in GT6, now I'm intrigued. Never played 5.

You're right to be interested, it has adaptive tessellation. You'll love it!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Having not played 5 is probably the only legitimate reason to be interested in 6, they basically look like the same game.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

So far all I've heard from press with early copies is that the progression is the same thing, and that the game is virtually unaffected by this addition. I think Forza 4 had done it right, Forza Horizon started to get into more of a grey area with it's double-XP and stuff (it was incredibly easy without buying in, but it was pretty hard to be able to buy one of every car without using tokens because of the end-game economy), and Forza 5 couldn't have done it much more wrong than they did. From the sounds of it, GT6 is still at the Forza 4 level: the option is there for those who want the help, but it's not required in any way at all. I actually think the microtransactions sound like a really bad deal financially though, in GT5 I could usually get 11 million in an hour from doing seasonal events, 4 million more than what £39.99 buys you. If it's going to cost £119.95 to buy one of the 20,000,000CR cars, and looking at the other costs, then we're not even losing the exclusivity of any car over 3,000,000CR in the game. I'm not happy about them adding microtransactions, but it doesn't seem like I'll have any issue with what they've done just yet. My real concern is that when GT7 comes around on the PS4, all of a sudden we've got something more akin to the Forza 5 scenario.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think the GT6 progression is nearly as grindy as GT5, since it seems to have done away with the awful XP system in favor of a more reasonable system of "Attain x amount of stars within this group to unlock the next cup".

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

What they could do instead of microtransactions / DLC is program in special, secret functions that players could uncover later, say through GameFAQs or trade publications. These functions would make it easier for players who don't have as much time as some to progress through the game. We could call them cheat codes. I dunno.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

GT6 seems to have improved a few things from the last games, like menu layout and clearly placement of tasks on the menus. As for the progression, pay outs, and the other stuff they are doing it okay...they didn't make it worse. From the quick look the only disappoint was that it still seemed a bit dry for my taste. I don't want crazy voice overs and balloons full of confetti, but I wish when in races the track sides would have more activity. I want bit more fun and humanity in these GT games.

I think Kazunori Yamauchi likes machines not people, but these games need some LIFE. I can't 'ding' them in a score for that...but I do wish GT would give a little though to how to add a bit of humanity to these games.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Vinny_Says

"you'll see....you'll all see HOW WRONG YOU ARE!!!!"

This is like the most defensive thread I've ever seen OP, calm down duder....

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

GT5's progression system was one of the worst parts about it. :(

Or is this a post big update progression system? Did it get changed post release? I kind of never went back to it after being super bummed out by it.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as they keep it similar to gt5 where you mainly just buy a pack of cars instead of money, i am fine with whatever they throw at us. I loved the small grind in GT5 and I would prefer they keep it somewhat like that as it made you know the tracks better, know your cars better, and just outright be better at racing in that game vs doing the race once and never going back.. Forza 5 shot itself in the foot, I think Sony/polyphony are a little smarter. I hope -.-

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Devil240Z

@chilibean_3 said:

Or is this a post big update progression system? Did it get changed post release? I kind of never went back to it after being super bummed out by it.

The progression in GT6 is really good. So much better than GT5. Just everything. From the kinds of events to the star system which is how you unlock new events. and the licenses are only 5 tests instead of like 20.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm sure it's just honky fucking dory.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#14  Edited By Kidavenger

5 was a great game after they released the 2.0 patch, I think they made a pretty big mistake releasing 6 on PS3 though, it would have been a killer PS4 release game.

Nice to hear the micro transactions are not integral to the enjoyment of the game at any rate.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By psylah

@kidavenger: I hit level 40 before there was any adjustment, did they change prize cars, or just the prize pots? I hated getting useless, ironic cars as prizes for difficult races. American muscle car race? Oh, thanks for the pickup truck and 30,000 credits, that'll do wonders to help me afford the Ferrari or Lamborghini I need to finish next in this tier.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

5 was a great game after they released the 2.0 patch, I think they made a pretty big mistake releasing 6 on PS3 though, it would have been a killer PS4 release game.

Nice to hear the micro transactions are not integral to the enjoyment of the game at any rate.

Given the PS3's install base compared to the PS4's, even with it's high launch sales numbers, I don't think it was remotely any kind of mistake releasing it on PS3. Especially with the PS4 not launching in Japan this year. The PS4 is selling out even without it. A better argument would be asking to release on both consoles, like some multiplatform titles are.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@chilibean_3 said:

The progression in GT6 is really good. So much better than GT5. Just everything. From the kinds of events to the star system which is how you unlock new events. and the licenses are only 5 tests instead of like 20.

Do they still give you races or events similar to the license tests? Sounds like its less of a hassle with only 5 tests, but i liked getting gold on them and actually learning how to properly take a turn and better my skills by the end of license test.

And yes chili and @psylah they did have a few updates that improved the XP and credits earned pretty significantly from the original release. With special event races and a login bonus with up to 200% XP and payouts on races, some with payouts where in the millions for one or two lap races if i remember right. I think i had already beaten the main game by then, but with some of the payouts and XP of the special events i got all the major cars without to much of a hassle after that. It was still kind of a grind earning enough to buy 1,000 cars, but you could probably max out your credits in your bank in about an hour with a good race.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@somejerk said:

You'll see that it is Forza 5 that is an industry-screwing problem, GT6 is only doing what players asked for.

I feel as though I am being lured into an intricate ruse.

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"alternative fast track route?" more like " fast money stacking route"

this is not mmo or a f2p game this is FULL PRICED game which means u already paid for all the stuff in the game...don't let sony pull the wool over your eyes !

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

@kidavenger said:

Given the PS3's install base compared to the PS4's, even with it's high launch sales numbers, I don't think it was remotely any kind of mistake releasing it on PS3. Especially with the PS4 not launching in Japan this year. The PS4 is selling out even without it. A better argument would be asking to release on both consoles, like some multiplatform titles are.

That makes sense if you expect the game to only have a few months shelf life, the way it stands now, only real hardcore GT fans are going to buy 6, everyone that wants a PS4 will have one within the next year and I'd imagine most of those people and everyone else that wants a sim racing game would have bought it eventually on PS4 over the next 3+ years it takes them to put out 7.

In a perfect world, GT6 would have come out a year ago, the timing of it's release smells like a desperate money grab to me, I usually buy GT games the week they come out, still not sure if I'm even going to get this one.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

@kidavenger said:

In a perfect world, GT6 would have come out a year ago, the timing of it's release smells like a desperate money grab to me, I usually buy GT games the week they come out, still not sure if I'm even going to get this one.

How is it a desperate money grab? Rushing a game to release before it's finished to make as much money as soon as possible is a money grab, but taking too long in development and releasing a game after it's prime sales window has gone by is the exact opposite of a money grab.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: It's their last opportunity to use the GT5 engine before they have to build something new for the PS4, they've been working the same plan since the original game, 1&2 on PS1, 3&4 on PS2, 5 and now 6 on PS3. the timing worked out well for them on PS1 and PS2, but the PS3 was a complete clusterfuck for them, it took them forever to get 5 out, and even once it was out, it wasn't up to the standard Forza had set, it took them another year to get that right and now they've rushed out 6 instead of working on something for the PS4.

I'm just ticked that I'll have to wait that much longer for what I wished they had been working on for the last 2+ years.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@ll_exile_ll: It's their last opportunity to use the GT5 engine before they have to build something new for the PS4, they've been working the same plan since the original game, 1&2 on PS1, 3&4 on PS2, 5 and now 6 on PS3. the timing worked out well for them on PS1 and PS2, but the PS3 was a complete clusterfuck for them, it took them forever to get 5 out, and even once it was out, it wasn't up to the standard Forza had set, it took them another year to get that right and now they've rushed out 6 instead of working on something for the PS4.

I'm just ticked that I'll have to wait that much longer for what I wished they had been working on for the last 2+ years.

It seems more to me like a pragmatic business decision than a money grab. Why spend truckloads of money to develop a game for a next generation system that barely anyone has right now (compared to PS3) when they can make make up for the absurdly long dev time and cost of GTA 5 by putting out a game with a lot less overheard for a system way more people have.

Was Persona 4 a money grab? Was God of War 2?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger said:

It seems more to me like a pragmatic business decision than a money grab. Why spend truckloads of money to develop a game for a next generation system that barely anyone has right now (compared to PS3) when they can make make up for the absurdly long dev time and cost of GTA 5 by putting out a game with a lot less overheard for a system way more people have.

If Persona 4 used all the same characters and locations as Persona 3 but they were on the moon instead, I'd give it to you, but as it stands, not really the same situation.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll said:

@kidavenger said:

If Persona 4 used all the same characters and locations as Persona 3 but they were on the moon instead, I'd give it to you, but as it stands, not really the same situation.

But they did reuse all the same persona models. That game was on PS2 for the specific reason of not having to create new HD assets.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger said:

Persona 4 is such a slimy money grab, im sitting with 5 different copies of P4 and i dont even know how it happend, i cant even play PS2 games anymore!!!!

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@devil240z said:

@chilibean_3 said:

Do they still give you races or events similar to the license tests? Sounds like its less of a hassle with only 5 tests, but i liked getting gold on them and actually learning how to properly take a turn and better my skills by the end of license test.

And yes chili and @psylah they did have a few updates that improved the XP and credits earned pretty significantly from the original release. With special event races and a login bonus with up to 200% XP and payouts on races, some with payouts where in the millions for one or two lap races if i remember right. I think i had already beaten the main game by then, but with some of the payouts and XP of the special events i got all the major cars without to much of a hassle after that. It was still kind of a grind earning enough to buy 1,000 cars, but you could probably max out your credits in your bank in about an hour with a good race.

Cool. That's all good to know.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chilibean_3 said:

Now that is encouraging to hear. Issues along these lines are the reason I quit GT5 after only about 10 hours played (i normally sink 100+ hours into racing games I like).

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Have they released any free or paid DLC cars which can totally break the game? I remember in GT5 downloading that F1 car or whatever it was, and absolutely destroying every open race and making tons of cash. Totally ruined the game for myself but... so much easier than grinding slowly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.