Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo Sport

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 17, 2017

Polyphony Digital's driving simulator comes to PlayStation 4 with a strong focus on competitive online multiplayer.

Anyone playing GT Sport?

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

I was wondering if anyone here was still playing Gran Turismo Sport. I'd like to play this game outside ranked matches, practice with other players, no pressure.

My PSN is: VincentVendetta

I've also made a bunch of liveries, if you're interested; you can access my GT profile here.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Does GT Sport feel like a full game now with all the updates?

I always get into GT once a gen but held off on GTS. You think they'll do a GT 7 or is this it?

VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By VincentVendetta

Depends on what you mean by "full game". To me, Gran Turismo Sport feels like a full game, by that I mean it feels like a complete statement. They've decided to focus on online multiplayer, on improving your driving skills though practice more than improving you car through money, and they've succeeded at that. Yes they've added a single-player mode in December, and the AI is better than the previous game, but the online is really where it's at. And I understand it can be pretty intimidating, myself included, I would skip daily races because I didn't feel confident in my skills, but you can't get better until you try. Maybe you'll make a few mistakes and drop back the order, but you can still salvage it and gain a few positions. I haven't a won a single race yet, but I've almost always improved by starting position, and when I got my first pole position and fastest lap, it felt like a million bucks! You can still have an amazing race if you don't win. I've done 12 races total in Sport mode (ranked matches) and twice I've had other racers congratulate me on putting up a good clean fight. Playing online is exhausting, it requires a lot of concentration, but it feels so satisfying.

If you wanna talk about updates, yeah we've had updates pretty much every month, with new cars and tracks like Monza, Tsukuba and Le Mans added. Even fictional circuits like Tokyo Expressway East Inner Loop, Dragon Trail Seaside, Blue Moon Bay Infield A and Autodrome Lago Maggiore are pretty great!

As for a future Gran Turismo 7... I doubt it, I doubt we'll come back to a more single-player focused entry anytime soon. As much as people scream for a giant caRPG, I've played some Gran Turismo 3 last year and when you get enough good parts or get a car that is faster than the opposition, the single-player becomes trivial. And racing against real people is so much better than racing against AI, or AI pretending to race like real people. (I'm lookin' at you Forza!)

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By MattGiersoni

I am! *raises hand* I don't play online though and sadly, my PS Plus sub has run out. I was concerned when GT:S was revealed to be online focused, but I am a living proof that you can enjoy this fully offline. I played 87 hours according to the in-game counter (46 spent driving). I played online maybe twice, but I just don't enjoy online games and competetive stuff unless it's with friends.

@liquiddragon I'd say it's very good now, especially after all the updates. Online is still probably the main focus, but again, you can definitely enjoy it offline, depending on what you're looking for. It definitely feels a bit different from past GTs, but not by much. It's been discounted a lot, so maybe wait for the next sale. Oh, and it's sadly still an always online game, you can't save when offline and you have limited access to certain features. (it doesn't require PS+ of course). I think their reason is that people would hack or tamper with times and they are also sponsored by FIA and it was their requirement, I think i've read it somewhere.

Driving feels really great, graphics, especially lighting are beautiful even on standard PS4, and the game has got a lot of free updates with I think around 50-60 cars and a few tracks with different layouts added. I think there's like 300 something cars right now, which is honestly more than enough for me. It has cars from every range, so everyone will find something for sure. Old, new, fast, slow, there's plenty. The SP campaign has around 60 challenge missions, which can be both short or long races with different situations or conditions. There are also track trials where you have to achieve a given time on a track. All of the above give you various special rewards for achieving bronze, silver or gold. (In addition to credits ofc)

It also has something more akin to a typical but very simple career, where you choose a series or a cup in a tier and then you can enter individual races. There's also custom race, so you can basically create your own race/series with lots of settings and options to fiddle with. It's a very good podcast game to just drive around, or if you're like me, spend a ton of time in photo modes or making liveries in their insane editor that even allows uploading of external images. They are still updating the game very frequently and all updates so far have been free and quite large. There's been some talk of paid updates in the future in addition to free ones, but so far, everything's been free and awesome!

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Seikenfreak

Actually, I took a break from it for 5 or so months and was playing it again last week. My current feelings are pretty mixed on it for a few reasons.

• First, having come back to it, I am either much worse at the game than I used to be or everyone else got very good. Even though I have explained to many people that racing isn't all about finishing in the top 3, I found it super depressing feeling like I can't even be competitive. During the winter, I had the S/S rating, was racing some of the top guys in the Americas region, and usually finishing in the top 20 for FIA points. Now, I tried that first official FIA season, I finished 1st by a long shot in the one race because it seemed to have put me in a lower tiered lobby. Then I finished last in two races with zero points and like 15th in the other race. Just felt crappy.
    • Second, they have screwed up the rating/penalties system far worse than it was before IMO. I was getting constant and severe penalties in the Daily races because of stupid things. Completely ruining any potential for fun.
    • Third, there seems to be a pattern for me with GT Sport and Project Cars 2. I play GT Sport, kinda get into it, then I jump into Project Cars 2 (which I have on PC and use VR) and find the driving to be soooooo much better. The force feedback and the way cars behave makes some sense. Not to mention VR is awesome. It makes me not want to go back to GT Sport. The difference between the two games in terms of online gameplay is like night and day though. In GTS, it's easy (or used to be) to jump in and get automatically matched with people at least relatively close to your skill level. In PC2, its an older style server browser/lobby system, every lobby you enter is just a demolition derby at T1, and I swear to god the only thing people ever want to race with in PC2 is GT3 cars. It's so frustrating because there are so many good, older car types and people don't use them. I'd like to find something slightly more formal for online racing but also has racing almost every day.

I see they've put the revamped S ranking back in and the Top 24 system.. and looking at the criteria I would've had that easy before. Maybe I could get it now.. I don't know. I don't know if I care enough. And yes a GT7 is most certainly coming based on people asking Polyphony constantly and them acknowledging like.. well duh. Someday. That's like asking if another Elder Scrolls is coming.

That race that I won was very fun though as I had some good racing with one or two people. Also, I really like the new FIA intros.

Loading Video...

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MattGiersoni

I think the better question is what form will GT7 take? Is it going to be GT: Sport 2, so online focused, or like the typical offline Gran Turismo but maybe with all the improvements to online that Sport introduced. Also, It's difficult to say when the next game is gonna come out, given how very long it takes Polyphony to make GT. During this gen we only got 1 GT game, whereas there have been 3 Forza Motorsport games and each of those games has way more cars and content than GT: Sport and have higher critical acclaim than GTS. Not gonna mention player opinions since this seems to vary as usual with some people liking both and some people preferring GT or Forza. Plus there have been 3 Forza Horizon games, and I'm so jealous Forza has arcadey open world spin-offs. I dream and wish GT had something like that too!

Yes, I know Polyphony is smaller and does everything in-house I think, but I wish Sony or Polyphony itself would expand the studio and maybe outsource parts of the work like Turn 10 does. All in all, I think we're either going to see another GT at the start of next-gen or it's going to be cross-gen maybe. I'm still super sad they didn't port over GT6 in 2013 which came out on PS3 even after PS4 was released. It's so weird, perhaps it wasn't the best GT ever but it would have made the wait for the next game a lot easier.

VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't believe this thread went to the "Is is good yet?" and "GT vs. Forza vs. PC2" debate this quickly. I just want to trade PSN IDs, guys...

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MattGiersoni

@vincentvendetta Does it feel like it? I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to start a war or something, the comparison to Forza was mostly to make a point about Polyphony's efficiency and to discuss how the series is changing. Again, really sorry if it felt like I'm trying to start something here, I'm not, I like GT: Sport a lot.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Seikenfreak

@mattgiersoni said:

During this gen we only got 1 GT game, whereas there have been 3 Forza Motorsport games and each of those games has way more cars and content than GT: Sport..

I'm going to say this is because they keep pumping out the same game/engine with minor tweaks since Forza 2.

@vincentvendetta

Sorry. I read it more as "Is anyone still playing this" and I answered with yes and no and why. All of the games have their pros and cons.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Been eyeing it up the last week but I still want more recognisable content.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By liquiddragon

@vincentvendetta: I guess I mean "like the previous games" when I say "full game." I was really hoping they were looking to fill out the single player side after release instead of delaying and delaying until they were "ready" like last gen.

@mattgiersoni: Ok, thanks. I went to their site and looked at all the patch notes a while ago and it does seem like a tremendous amount of content they've added but couldn't be sure if it was "enough" not owning the game. I know Gamestop had it for $20 a week or two ago but I passed on it cause I dread going there. I'll be on the look out, I've definitely seen it on sale many times.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MattGiersoni
    Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

I play GT Sport at least once a week, but only the single-player content, I'm not a multiplayer gamer I'm afraid.

They have added enough stuff to the single-player campaign to make GT Sport feel like a classic Gran Turismo game again. Although it's still far off when it comes to the number of cars, it still feels like a complete game to me, there's enough content for that.

Geepatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@vincentvendetta: I am still playing it. Will add you when I get the chance. Probably won't be hopping on until next week due to some travel.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By csl316

I haven't played it, but when I visited Scotland in October there were ads for it everywhere. Out of curiosity, was the game a hit in Europe?

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MattGiersoni

@csl316 Can't speak for just Europe but I'd say it sold well, below expectations probably because it was quickly discounted a lot of times and that definitely helped a lot with sales. It's probably the lowest reviewed GT title even though 76 average is still very good, and at launch a lot of people lamented the online focus of the game and barebones single-player/the game being quite different from previous GT games.

It did pretty well I'd say but discounts probably contributed a lot, just recently they announced they had 5 million players total but if that equals copies sold or if it includes free beta players etc. nobody knows. I think the official site showed that the series sold around 77 million copies before GT:S and not too long ago that number was updated on that site to around 80 so GT:S probably did more than 3 million copies. Coming back to Europe itself though, I'd say it contributed a lot. GT and playstation have always been very popular here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.