Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

The Lost & Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony are collected onto this standalone disc of Grand Theft Auto IV's post-release content.

GTA IV love and hat... Is Episodes worth getting?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Claude

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

To say I have mixed emotions about GTA IV would be an understatement. But, I still played the shit out of GTA IV until I found my end. That game is long gone, but I can buy Episodes on the cheap with changes in hand. 

If I like GTA, but fell out of love with GTA IV would I still find value in Episodes from Liberty City? 

Should I buy it and play it? Does it feel different than the original GTA IV? 

Edit

Idiot... the title says love and hat... not hate. Dumbass. Thanks me.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

If you have mixed feelings about GTAIV, I don't know. I thought The Lost and the Damned was great but short. I thought The Ballad of Gay Tony was disappointing. If you're not a big fan of GTAIV, you might just want to forget about it.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ryax

its pretty much the same as GTAIV drive here, kill him, chase them. repeat. i think they have a little more replay value but all in all its still GTAIV

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

Yeah, it's a slightly more fleshed out and condensed (yes, I know that's oxymoronic) GTA4. The missions are more contextual to the story in both episodes, but TLAD is more Vice City (feels real, set in time) and BOGT feels more like San Andreas (more crazy and extreme and focused on gameplay). The superfluous repetitive missions are gone, making the fewer missions here seem like there is more variety.

I'd say if you haven't played GTA4, start with EFLC. But to somebody who was tainted by GTA4's blandness, this won't offer enough new experiences for $40.

@Ryax said:

" all in all its still GTA "

fixed. I played both BOGT and TLAD only once whereas I played GTA4 to completion three times. The Episodes feel nice and contained and don't leave a lot of loose threads begging you to replay for the sake of cohesion (unless you never played GTA4 and don't know its story). You can replay them but you won't get any extra info or story except through alternate driving conversations (which BOGT randomizes unlike TLAD or GTA4). If you don't buy it, definitely rent it.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Baillie

I bought them and wasn't impressed. Not that I was disappointed, it's just that I loaded it up and was just like, oh, this again. 

Only thing I liked about it was improved motorbike control, if that tickles your pickle then ROCK ON.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Andorski

Didn't play Gay Tony... but I liked The Lost and Damned.  My enjoyment of GTA IV waned at the end.  The campaign felt stretched out and there weren't as many side-diversions for you to do compared to the past GTA games.  TLoD, on the other hand, had a more condensed campaign which benefited it's story.  It was also nice to have a crew to roll around the city with.  Niko's lone wolf personality made Liberty City's rich environment feel pretty lonely.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#7  Edited By ImperiousRix

If GTA IV was your least favorite of the GTA games, then it might not be a great idea to get more of what is essentially the same. 
    Having said that, The Lost and Damned is definitely great.  It's actually more focused than GTA IV in terms of gameplay and story.  At times, it can even feel like a wholly different experience, but at the core, it's still using the GTA IV mechanics. 
    The Ballad of Gay Tony is one I have mixed feelings about.  It's got great characters, but the story is completely scatter-shot.  Some of the missions are great, but it also felt like this one had more missions that made me hate the whole of the GTA IV gameplay style outright, something the previous two installments hadn't done.  This one is only for those truly enraptured by GTA IV.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Coombs

If it comes with the love hat then fuck yeah its worth it

With the Love Hat you'll get more Tang than Neil Armstrong

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.