Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto IV

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Apr 29, 2008

Take on the role of Niko Bellic, a Serbian immigrant who comes to the US at his cousin Roman's request, to find a better life, search for "that special someone" and participate in lawless activities in an upgraded generation of Liberty City.

Anybody still play GTAIV?

• 129 results
    Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

At all??

I clocked the story and th DLC, but I've gotta say it just doesnt have the pulling power of th other ones, I cant really put my finger on why, it might be th increased realism, it might be th main character, it might be even just be the 'seen-it-before' setting or the handling of the cars, which I've gotta say is TERRIBLE.
    Anyway I've sold it now, and honestly, HONESTLY, I've had more fun in th 1st few minutes of Prototype than I ever did in GTAIV.
    Any thoughts?
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Yes, I definitely still play it. My brother plays it the most nowadays (he just beat it again) but I will hop into it now and then.

I have heard your type of thoughts regarding the game but, honestly, I just don't get it. The world is alive and fresh, the story was engrossing and the action was visceral. I found so many reasons to love the game and it got my "Best Game of 2008" accolade. I have yet to play Prototype, but I have heard the beginning has you as a souped-up character who then has to get all his powers back through the rest of the game. So just a heads-up if you have yet to get there. Oh, and I guess that is a spoiler ;)

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Nasar7

I go through periods of months where I don't even touch it and others where I play it all the time. Then again that could be bc I don't have much money for new games anymore...

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By fugie7

i use to play it alot when the new dlc was out, but now i move on to other games.

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Kibblez

I dislike anyone who doesn't like GTAIV

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By T0mF5

I have only played this game 3 times in the last 4 months.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Venatio

My 360 is messed up, everytime I try to play GTA IV for longer then 40 minutes or so it freezes :(

And when I install it, the game suffers from massive pop-in issues, sometimes the city doesnt even load up and Im driving through nothing

Its strange that GTA IV is the only game that this happens on

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @RHCPfan24: Yeah I can totally sympathise with what people enjoy about it, because I did enjoy it whilst going through it, but nothing stayed with me whatsoever, other than Brucie I dont think there are any other truly memorable characters. 
    Giantbomb's main reason for game of the year was because of the freedom to choose how to complete your missions, but that in itself has been done a billion times in the previous GTA's, th options for said 'freedom to choose' was expanded in San Andreas utilising jet packs and quads, yes it was waaay over th top, but it was just more 'fun'.
    Skidding out of every corner driving th basic car or bike was just something that shattered th illusion of being a badass character and overall just ruined th game for me.
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @Kibblez said:
    " I dislike anyone who doesn't like GTAIV "
    Haha why's that m8?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman

I actually just played through it again. I agree that the other GTA games were probably more fun to just mess around in the open world, but GTA 4 is still a much better game overall. The story and characters in GTA 4 were awesome and I think that stuff is more important than probably anything else. I also have a theory that everyone just played those other GTA games so much that the open world chaos thing is kind of been there done that now.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " I actually just played through it again. I agree that the other GTA games were probably more fun to just mess around in the open world, but GTA 4 is still a much better game overall. The story and characters in GTA 4 were awesome and I think that stuff is more important than probably anything else. I also have a theory that everyone just played those other GTA games so much that the open world chaos thing is kind of been there done that now. "
    That is exactly it for the after-completion factor, EXACTLY it.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Snail

Dude, if by the end of Prototype you prefer Prototype over GTIV there is something deeply wrong with you.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @Snail said:
    " Dude, if by the end of Prototype you prefer Prototype over GTIV there is something deeply wrong with you. "
    Alright then, I'll boldly go where no man has gone before, I wholeheartedly preferred Prototype over GTAIV, I've finished both and I cant stress enough how much more fun Prototype is than GTAIV.
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I still have it, but it was weird - once I beat it I literally never played it again.  I kept it though because all the other GTA's have been my too-bored-and-feel-like-raising-hell-again games.  This one though I just haven't gotten back into it.  Maybe I will though, I already know it's a fun game.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Snail
    @ShalashaskaUK666 said:
    " @Snail said:
    " Dude, if by the end of Prototype you prefer Prototype over GTIV there is something deeply wrong with you. "
    Alright then, I'll boldly go where no man has gone before, I wholeheartedly preferred Prototype over GTAIV, I've finished both and I cant stress enough how much more fun Prototype is than GTAIV.
    "
    To me Prototype is an atmosphere-less, poorly executed, game with below average graphics. A lamer version of inFamous if you ask me.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By luce
    @Snail said:
    damn opinions! damn them all!
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I totally still play it. It's been probably a month since the last time, but I'm still kind of swamped in new games to play. I still think GTAIV is the best game I've played this gen, by far.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By JJOR64

Nope.  I beat the single player then I stopped.

Nat3TheGreat13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Nat3TheGreat13

I played through the single player and the dlc then I stopped playing it.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Lashe

I bought it very recently, not played much of it yet - I have a terribly long backlog. Kinda glad I still have that one to enjoy.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GeekDown

I put a couple of minutes into it from time to time. Usually between finishing a game and buying a new one.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nasar7
    @ShalashaskaUK666:
    " Skidding out of every corner driving th basic car or bike was just something that shattered th illusion of being a badass character and overall just ruined th game for me.
    "
    IMO the cars/bikes were very easy to control once you got the hang of it, I admit there was a learning curve though. Quite the contrary, the badassery of doing moves like reverse 180s was heightened by the physics of the vehicles.
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @Snail: I'd put the 'atmosphere' on par with IV, what is th atmosphere really? Th city itself with th pedestrian comments and th feeling of interacting with the environment? Id say the rise of the infected and military influences throughout th game create a compelling atmosphere that forces you to adapt and use your powers to defend against increasingly difficult foes, I'd say its perfectly executed, however with GTA, the headshot is king, you lock on, move th analogue stick up slightly, squeeze the trigger and move on, add infinitum. 
    As for th constant reference to the graphics, theyre perfectly fine, and when th explosions and limbs are flying, it looks fine to me.
    As for the inFamous reference, if you think theyre similar in any way other than the at th most basic 'superhero' level....then theres "something deeply wrong with you".
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sfighter21

played gta4 back when it came out as a rental, and haven't played it again.  BUT, that isn't because the game was bad or boring, I loved it;  I'm just waiting for the game to hit the 29.99 mark.  Even as a used game its like 35 bucks down here in Tulsa, OK...heh.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @Nasar7: Yeah J-turns were insanely cool I'll give you that, but they tended to happen all the time when you only wanted to about 90 degrees you'd end up slidin the full 180
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheGreatGuero

BRING ON GAY TONY! YEAH!

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nasar7
    @ShalashaskaUK666: I guess its because I made it a point to get really good at the driving so to me it was a a lot of fun. And whenever I blew a turn, I always knew what mistake I had made so it didn't feel unfair or frustrate me. It wasn't perfect but I really enjoyed how the different cars handled and how heavy they felt. But I know plenty of people dislike it, so I understand where you're coming from.
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @ShalashaskaUK666 said:
    " @Snail: I'd put the 'atmosphere' on par with IV, what is th atmosphere really? Th city itself with th pedestrian comments and th feeling of interacting with the environment? Id say the rise of the infected and military influences throughout th game create a compelling atmosphere that forces you to adapt and use your powers to defend against increasingly difficult foes, I'd say its perfectly executed, however with GTA, the headshot is king, you lock on, move th analogue stick up slightly, squeeze the trigger and move on, add infinitum. 
    As for th constant reference to the graphics, theyre perfectly fine, and when th explosions and limbs are flying, it looks fine to me.
    As for the inFamous reference, if you think theyre similar in any way other than the at th most basic 'superhero' level....then theres "something deeply wrong with you".
    "

I think the reason I didn't like GTAIV nearly as much as the previous games was because it felt a bit too serious for its own good, well at least in comparison to the humour thats been around in the other titles. I didn't really feel any connection to the main characters and felt as though for as much time was spent trying to convey the turmoil and regret Nico may be feeling for the acts he has committed in the past, he still continued with them throughout the story, almost instantly in some cases.  I thought the characters for the most part where either not interesting or just poorly developed within the storyline, Kate being the prime example of this, did anyone even care?

In short I was dissapointed with GTA IV because it felt so different from the past GTA games, I'm not saying that it has to be the same just that in my opinion I got the impression that most of the things I found fun about those were largely missing here. I might be alone in this but when this game is mentioned as being best of this generation, I just don't see it.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @WatanabeKazuma:   Yes that is part of my point, all of things you just mentioned I totally agree with, I think thats what it is, the realism, to some of us that was what MADE the other GTA's, the escapism and just having fun whilst not worrying that driving to fast is going to kill you. 
    Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#30  Edited By Osaladin

Nope, I beat it twice when I bought it and I've regretted the fact that I didn't rent it ever since.

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#31  Edited By fillmoejoe

I play it fairly often, I've gone back and replayed it a few times, then with the DLC content went back and played through that.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By artofwar420

I actually haven't finished the story, but I played the mutliplayer quite a bit when it came out. So, I do play it little by little finishing the story.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BigBoss1911

I occasionaly play it online.I dont know....it just isnt GTA 3,its just...boring.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ShadowKiller

I'm picking this up next week along with some other 360 stuff.

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JazzyJeff

I'm playing The Lost and the Damned. Best writing in video game history, IMO.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Player1

Lost and the damned is on my summer list for sure. Well see if I get to it. I'd love to play it, just no motivation right now. 

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Optiow

I have not played it yet.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AgentofChaos

I must be one of the few proud people, who really really enjoyed GTA IV. I still play it on occasion, not online though.

Roboyto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Roboyto

Nope, bought it on launch day,  completed the main story and have never touched the game since. While I did enjoy most of the game, I really dont get why a lot of people are so rabidly defensive about the game. GTA games, by and large, are amazing concepts with great content that dont deliver on gameplay at all. GTA4 drove me completely batshit with the driving controls and just how terrible practically every car in the game handled and while the shooting controls were vastly improved from previous entries, it still didnt feel right to me. Oh and dont get me started on the ending....dont know if this counts as spoilers anymore but to be safe ***SPOILER ALERT***....the fact that there was an ending where Kate died just absolutely fucking ruined the game for me. And not because I was so upset to lose her. In my playthrough I had seen Kate a couple times, tried dating her and couldn't get her to like me at all for some reason. So what happens? She dies and its supposed to be this huge fucking emotional scene but because of how my playthrough went, it fell absolutely flat and came across as just meaningless. Can't remember being more disappointed in a videogame ending.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By Seppli

Every now and then, I pick it up and either just cruise around, listening to the car radio, taking in the athmosphere or I go about doing some Crime in the most serious fashion possible. Low profile. Clean get away. Playing with some discipline. Like driving to the mission, respecting red lights and not driving 'pedal-to-the-metal' all the time. Behaving reasonably and giving the world some respect turns GTA IV into a so believable world, it's a truely groundbreaking gaming experience. My best effort was an about 12 hours long session. I didn't screw up once. I brought Nico Bellic and Liberty City to life. I wasn't a gamer. I was an actor. Great stuff. That's why games are so seldomly seen as art. Because we give the finishing touch.

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mikevanpwn
    @Snail said:
    I agree. lol  Prototype is good, and I'm estimating I'm more than half done with it, but I'm already considering sending it back to gamefly.  Not sure if I want to finish it.

GTA IV is great, I would play it through again if I didnt have other games on my plate.
    SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By SunKing

Apart from the poor performance, I'm still really enjoying GTA IV. Although I haven't got the L&D DLC yet, I'll probably get it at some point. I can see why others find it less fun because of its more serious tone, but they couldn't go any further in the San Andreas direction after that game. I think it's just a different, more mature GTA.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Time_Lord

I didn't even beat the game just lost interest right around the bank robbing mission. I've almost beaten prototype 4 missions to go.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NoDeath

I haven't played it since I beat Lost and Damned. Why? There's. One. Fucking. Pigeon. Left.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jimbo

I wasn't a big fan of GTAIV.  It was excellent at transitioning between the different gameplay elements, but all of them had been done better individually elsewhere imo, so I didn't feel like I was really seeing anything new.

I got sick of the OC story too tbh:  "I'm looking for somebody!"  "Well, I don't know where he is, but I know somebody who might!!  Now, go do these random jobs for me until you're ready to repeat this whole process with the next character."

Having an ubercamp gay guy in your story is not edgy.  Having the guy you're looking for deus ex machina'd into the storyline at the last minute by extraordinary rendition isn't edgy or satisfying.  I didn't care about his girl getting killed because I'd talked to her about once in the entire game.  Niko's only other motivation was money, yet it was entirely pointless in the game and Niko showed no sign of actually wanting to use this money for anything.

I'm still happy to buy their DLC though, because Liberty City is excellent, the gameplay mechanics are solid and Lost & Damned had a far better storyline imo.  I really hope they shake things up a bit in the next full GTA installment, I'd love to play as a dirty cop or something for a change - basically I want GTA V - The Shield.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Drebin_893

I dislike GTA IV. I've completed it twice and I regret having wasted my time.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By flaminghobo

I borrowed it from a friend, and I found it quite enjoyable. I don't really plan on buying it unless I see it in a store and I have spare cash, definately not a must-buy for me. There's just something about it, that really puts me off it, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48  Edited By damnboyadvance

That's weird, because a lot of people I knew stopped playing it after 2 weeks, and now I find out some people still are? Awkward.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49  Edited By natetodamax

I stopped playing it because I've beaten the main story a number of times including the Lost And Damned. For some reason the last time I tried to play multiplayer literally nobody was playing. Everytime I searched for a match in different game modes it brought me into an empty lobby with me as the host.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By trophyhunter

I bought it like two weeks ago because it has trophies now
    but I have yet to actually play it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.