Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 26, 2004

The follow-up to Vice City takes the Grand Theft Auto series' free-roaming violence into 1992 and the fictional state of San Andreas as several criminal gangs wage war for control of the streets.

Steam Glitched?

Buie04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Buie04

I just bought San Andreas from the deal they had yesterday and it will not let me complete the first mission...It goes to the cutscene where the ballas blow up Smoke's car and then it comes up saying gta:sa has crashed. Everytime like clockwork. Has anyone else had this problem and/or is there a way to fix this? Any feedback would be kind.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Aus_azn

Some system specs or the like would be nice...

SA is an old game; there may be compatibility issues with new systems.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

The very first things to do when facing crashes on PC (through steam) is to : 

restart Steam. If that doesn't work then 
    restart your PC. if that doesn't work then
    re-install the game. If that doesn't work, i usually go on the official steam/valve forums and find the perfect thread with the right fix in less than 2 minutes (by googling)

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

re install is the best bet.

Buie04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Buie04

Thanks for the tips, I'll try that. Yes, I'm running on my new Alienware I just got a few months ago so age of the game probably does make a difference. :/

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Aus_azn

Doesn't verifying the game cache's integrity do the same thing as reinstalling it without loss of personal data?

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By TotalEklypse

O there we go. It is an Alienware.. that is the obvious problem.  

Anyway. Ditto to the other suggestions you also might try googlin the specifics. Assuming you don't get the problem solved using the steam forums. Also try and keep an eye out for precursors to the crash. slow downs, visual glitching etc. The more you notice the more it could help find the problem. Sometimes the older games just like to be a pain in the ass on new hardware.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By matpaget

The Ballas blew up more than Smoke's car!

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TotalEklypse

O another thing. There is a function in the settings of steam that will allow you to test the files and make repairs. Might save you the time re-downloading and such.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox

Or you could give information about what the crash error says. You haven't modded it at all?

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Th3_James

oh fuck i've had san andreas on their for awhile. I've beat it on ps2 2 times, xbox 3 times, and pc once. Looks like I will need to replay some of it again.

I am not usually into replaying games, but there are a few that I just love to play over again.

Buie04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Buie04

@MrKlorox: Not a bit.

Buie04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Buie04

Quick question, I've never had to re-install a game yet on my Steam account. Does that require me to delete it completely from my computer and then go in and install it just like before?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

@Th3_James said:

oh fuck i've had san andreas on their for awhile. I've beat it on ps2 2 times, xbox 3 times, and pc once. Looks like I will need to replay some of it again.

I am not usually into replaying games, but there are a few that I just love to play over again.

Fully agreed. Re-downloading it right now myself. Finished it twice on xbox and about three or four times on PC. I gotta use the v1.0 exe though since it's the only one that supports SAAC. Now I just gotta get my old xbox controller, unless SAAC got updated to work with wireless ones.

@Buie04 said:

Quick question, I've never had to re-install a game yet on my Steam account. Does that require me to delete it completely from my computer and then go in and install it just like before?

Pretty much. Sometimes there is a folder that contains all the required stuff to make it work (like directx or dotnet framework, etc). Might try finding and running all the installers in that in case they somehow didn't get run during the install, before you go and download another 5gb.

Buie04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Buie04

Okay so re-installing didn't work. Nothing did. :/ Should I just accept the fact that it's probably my computer specs and just forget about it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.