Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

De Silva?

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By jillsandwich

After playing through Max Payne 3, the character of Wilson Da Silva, a Sao Paulo Detective that becomes a major ally to Max throughout the game, caught my eye.

The current popular thing going around about GTA V is that the protagonist is portrayed by Ned Luke and is named Albert De Silva. Are these characters related? I've always believed that Rockstar's games take place in the same universe, but Max Payne has always been out of the question. New York exists in Max Payne's universe, Liberty City does not.

Do you think this is possible? Note the distinction of "Da" and "De". Being that this is leaked information, it could just be a typo.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jillsandwich

@Anwar said:

Which leak are you talking about? Most if not all have been debunked. And I don't think that MP3 is in the same universe as GTA 5.

Ned Luke has been outright confirmed as the voice actor by people that would most likely know on Twitter. Not by Rockstar, since they haven't made a peep about the game, but it's almost certain.

Has anyone debunked the whole Albert De Silva thing?

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By valrog

I still hope the protagonist is in fact, Albert De Silva. It's just such an awesome name, worthy of a Grand Theft Auto protagonist.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BBQBram

GTA IV rebooted the GTA universe, the Housers have explicitly said so and thatś why the names of all the classic GTA characters are sprayed all over the walls of Liberty City. Red Dead Redemption isn't in that universe either because they specifically mention Manhattan. LA Noire isn't even a Rockstar developed game besides obviously being set in LA and not Los Santos. Seeing as Max Payne 3 is a direct continuation of the previous games and you even play in New Jersey (NOT Alderney) I don't see this one universe theory holding up at all. Though I do really enjoy the microcosm that is IV / The Lost and Damned / The Ballad of Gay Tony / Chinatown Wars.

My real question is if we will see cameos from IV in V; they'll probably keep it within IVs universe. Seems to have that vibe, judging from that one trailer.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jillsandwich

@BBQBram said:

GTA IV rebooted the GTA universe, the Housers have explicitly said so and thatś why the names of all the classic GTA characters are sprayed all over the walls of Liberty City. Red Dead Redemption isn't in that universe either because they specifically mention Manhattan. LA Noire isn't even a Rockstar developed game besides obviously being set in LA and not Los Santos. Seeing as Max Payne 3 is a direct continuation of the previous games and you even play in New Jersey (NOT Alderney) I don't see this one universe theory holding up at all. Though I do really enjoy the microcosm that is IV / The Lost and Damned / The Ballad of Gay Tony / Chinatown Wars.

My real question is if we will see cameos from IV in V; they'll probably keep it within IVs universe. Seems to have that vibe, judging from that one trailer.

When do they mention Manhattan in Red Dead? Trust me, I've read things from the Housers about this, I just don't really care. There's plenty of things that artists will hide in their creations connecting them to their other works, despite denying that there's any connection. You're also forgetting Bully and Manhunt(Lionel Starkweather is a former Vinewood film director), and those games can be easily connected.

Also, there's Lazlow. He's in all the GTA III era games as well as GTA IV, with reference being made to him being kicked out of his job at Chatterbox FM.

You can't explain Lazlow.

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Arebuckle
    @jillsandwich said:

You can't explain Lazlow.

No one can explain Lazlow.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BBQBram

@jillsandwich: Hey there, I typed out an elaborate response to you some time ago but it got lost before I posted it. So let me rephrase;

I think you might have a point with GTA, although I'd say the older games exist as something to be referenced through the mention of places or media stuff, like Chatterbox and Vinewood. It feels different though because I'd doubt we'd actually see the old cast return. Something about all those names up on GTA IV's walls still reads like a mausoleum to me, like they've retired all those characters to make room for their new, more serious tone. There's still a huge disconnect with Liberty City being a completely different place in III, with different streets, burroughs and geography. But still, you're right about GTA.

Now I've never played Bully or Manhunt so I couldn't say if those connections are actually acknowledging their co-existence in the GTA universe or if they're just cameos.

Max Payne 3 however, is a different story. It wasn't even originally conceived by Rockstar so one surname overlapping with one from GTA V seems like a stretch in the light of all the evidence to the contrary; Max Payne was always set in New York and Jersey City, not Liberty City and Alderney. That's just clear as day, and there's no other connections to GTA at all. Again, not even really a Rockstar creation in the first place.

Red Dead Redemption is also definitely not in the same universe. First of all there's a Stranger Quest called California, about a dude making his way to California. Wouldn't he be calling that state San Andreas if he's in GTA's America? And there's of course the numerous mentions of New York. Quotes? Quotes;

Bonnie: He left for the East and never came back. Must be getting on for 10 years ago now. He's a high-and-mighty banker in New York, according to his last letter.

West Dickens: Mr. West Dickens. Nigel West Dickens from East Cheap, London, New Waverly, New York, and Armadillo, New Austin. At your service.

Marston: Even in this new country, memories don't really fade. My father was an illiterate Scot, born on the boat into New York.

Bonnie: So, this is Armadillo. Manhattan it is not, but it does okay for us.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BBQBram

And no I don't mean to disprove you just for the sake of it, I love these games and like discussing them so it's all in good fun.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jillsandwich

@BBQBram said:

And no I don't mean to disprove you just for the sake of it, I love these games and like discussing them so it's all in good fun.

And no, I appreciate you actually providing some quotes, because I honestly couldn't remember any mention like that in RDR, but I need to replay it.

I don't think I was proposing that Max Payne exists with GTA, I just don't think it's a coincidence if that is the dude's name in GTA V.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BBQBram

Fair enough. You should replay Red Dead, it's great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.