Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

FPS driving is neat but I still really miss the hood cam.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By abrasion

I have to admit, I've whined about this for nearly 2 weeks across the internet now. I'm not proud and entirely proud I'm so committed to it. I know a lot of people never even used the hood cam, the funny thing is, a lot of the new FPS converts, if you were to go back to the old one you might suddenly realise just how goddamn great it was.

(I used it exclusively in GTAIV, expansions and GTAV)

I've run my campaign to bring it back dry, here - enjoy the last of the hood camera.

http://imgur.com/a/TCtT5

http://imgur.com/a/lCqcq#0

RIP the best way to drive (and fly) in GTA.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By abrasion

Pics on this site just to help hopefully.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By Nodima

I liked the hood cam but it wasn't as immersive as the in-seat cam is. For me the whole novelty of the new view is that immersion, otherwise I'd play 3rd person because you miss a lot of the more impressive lighting and environmental effects when you're only looking at the road ahead of you. I'm not sure I'd have committed to a full first person run of the game if the driving had been handled the same as it was in previous GTAs.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:

I liked the hood cam but it wasn't as immersive as the in-seat cam is. For me the whole novelty of the new view is that immersion, otherwise I'd play 3rd person because you miss a lot of the more impressive lighting and environmental effects when you're only looking at the road ahead of you. I'm not sure I'd have committed to a full first person run of the game if the driving had been handled the same as it was in previous GTAs.

I play GTA Online and for the sake of competitiveness and playing well, I use 3'rd person on foot, hood cam in the car. I don't feel immersed at all with the dash in the way, it feels completely arbitrary to me :/

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I agree. The first person in car cam would work better had you been able to "adjust the seat" and raise your view higher or lower. I cringe every time I approach a hill as I know I won't be able to see anything.

I wonder if this game will support Morpheus when it is released...

the_devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another problem I find is you lose a lot of peripheral vision which is rather important when you are trying to drive a car without running into random things.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Agreed. I actually find cockpit view to be less immersive than hood cam. When driving I subconsciously tune out the view of the dashboard and the steering wheel since I'm focusing on the road.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By abrasion

Guys I really do appreciate the responses, I think the FPS cam, in it's own way is actually quite cool but taking the hood out was a shambles for the few of us who loved it. God damn if any of you have the PS3 or 360 version and are reading this thread, I emplore you to fire it the fuck up and play like that for a good solid 15 minutes, after about 5 - you'll be like "holy shit, this is actually awesome"

Anyhow, if you do like it and want it back, I've been told specifically by Rockstar Support to email them and request it back.
    GTAOnline@Rockstargames.com

Please consider.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

Agreed. I actually find cockpit view to be less immersive than hood cam. When driving I subconsciously tune out the view of the dashboard and the steering wheel since I'm focusing on the road.

Much like people do in real life when actually driving, and what I've been trying to tell a heap of people on the internet :{

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hood cam is (or was) the best way drive in GTA. I would be fine with in-car view if they made the characters tall enough so that you could actually see the road.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I did not personally use it or care for it But I don't really understand why they removed it, they did such a good job giving you every option you could want with camera and controls it seems pointless to remove it.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@abrasion: They should have a seat adjustment thinking about it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I really don't get hood cam. Either I want the immersive nature of the dashboard or I want to see the car in 3rd person. Hood cams have always been entirely useless to me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

People that play in cockpit mode are monsters anyway. Hood cam conformists are likely twisted individuals. You need situational awareness afforded by third person view when driving vehicles in video games.

helios1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It definitely looks like they need to add an option to adjust your seat so you can raise/lower your view a little.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

To be fair, that screenshot looks like the car is going uphill, so it's understandable that it'll be hard to see what's in front. I think it's a really neat idea to have a cockpit view, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the vision of my surroundings for better immersion.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Unfortunately, I don't have a current gen console yet, so I was waiting for a PC release. But the lack of hood cam is a super bummer! When doing important missions, I'd typically use 3rd person, but anytime I was just goofing around, it was always with hood cam.

I agree 100% with your thought process (the tv is the windscreen, seeing the dash is more of a novelty). I think the hood is as immersive as all get out. To each their own though. I totally understand that some people wouldn't like it.

I just hope it's added back in by January...

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By abrasion

@humanity said:

People that play in cockpit mode are monsters anyway. Hood cam conformists are likely twisted individuals. You need situational awareness afforded by third person view when driving vehicles in video games.

Anyone who seriously plays racing games, generally knows the in car cameras are cute but definitely not practical. Roof, bumper, hood cameras, all vastly superior for actually handling a vehicle in a videogame :/

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By RonGalaxy

I go back and forth between driving first person and third person depending on the car. Sometimes I just flick it on for a second to see what the interior looks like, then go back to third person. Unlike FP on foot, FP in car does not further immerse you in the world, rather it immerses you in the interior of the car you are in. Though FP on a bike/quad/jetski is awesome, especially when doing drive bys.

My real problem with FP in cars is that its too hard to shoot backwards while driving. You have to either turn around completely while holding L1 to aim, R1 to shoot, or you have to press and hold in the right stick to do the camera flip thing, which is even worse (both of these things are easier in third person). They should make it so when you press the right stick it just flips the camera around to the back and keeps it there until you press it again. The feeling you get from shooting through the windshield in fp is pretty fucking amazing though, which is why its a shame that, overall, FP in cars isnt as practical.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By abrasion

@bumpton said:

I just hope it's added back in by January...

Someone will hack it in for PC within hours :/ not so good for those of us who don't PC game much anymore though.

@rongalaxy said:

My real problem with FP in cars is that its too hard to shoot backwards while driving. You have to either turn around completely while holding L1 to aim, R1 to shoot, or you have to press and hold in the right stick to do the camera flip thing, which is even worse (both of these things are easier in third person). They should make it so when you press the right stick it just flips the camera around to the back and keeps it there until you press it again.

This also was handled better with the hood cam. Shooting just dropped you to external view - it worked well :/

Anyone in the thread emailed Rockstar? Seriously, please do

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion the hoodcam was useless. The newer in-seat cam makes sense with the rest of the FPS world at least. I get the desire to have both of those views in racing games but in 3rd person sandbox shooters the third person driving camera is both the most effective view and fits with the rest of the game.

It's a shame that they took it out for those who preferred it but it has absolutely 0 impact on me.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By abrasion
    @overnow said:

In my opinion the hoodcam was useless. The newer in-seat cam makes sense with the rest of the FPS world at least. I get the desire to have both of those views in racing games but in 3rd person sandbox shooters the third person driving camera is both the most effective view and fits with the rest of the game.

It's a shame that they took it out for those who preferred it but it has absolutely 0 impact on me.

Don't take offense to this, but have you ever actually driven a car, I'm curious?

I've been driving for nearly 20 years, the hood cam is FAR more like real like driving than the one with the wheel in the way.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

@overnow said:

♥ If only others thought that way, had quite a few being nasty pricks online about this actually

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Akyho

@abrasion said:
    @overnow said:

Don't take offense to this, but have you ever actually driven a car, I'm curious?

I've been driving for nearly 20 years, the hood cam is FAR more like real like driving than the one with the wheel in the way.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

@overnow said:

♥ If only others thought that way, had quite a few being nasty pricks online about this actually

I see your point, I just wish for the best of both worlds (I always wanted inside FP to be more immersive) yet the dashboard and wheels does take up alot of the screen. If they had a higher viewpoint then maybe everybody would be happy?

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akyho said:

I see your point, I just wish for the best of both worlds (I always wanted inside FP to be more immersive) yet the dashboard and wheels does take up alot of the screen. If they had a higher viewpoint then maybe everybody would be happy?

Personally for me, I'd really just want the full hood view - it worked for me and I've spent 2 or 300 hours using it. Feels like driving a real car.
    There could be improvements to the existing cam by simply pulling the eyes closer to the windscreen but why mess with what a lot of people are seemingly happy with, should just code back in the old cam too. I bet the darn code is still in the game as well :/

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abrasion: Yep, I'm 23 and I drive all the time. The thing is this is a video game so they take liberties that are unrealistic, yet do a good job at tricking people into thinking that it is realistic. For example first person camera angles in shooters have always been unrealistic. If you think about it they either look like the camera is in the centre of the chest or the person is holding the weapon in a ridiculous manner. However if you were to make the perspective more realistic most people would find it detrimental, because even though they are looking in the distance for enemies, they like to be able to glance at their weapon and see how it looks. Also having that weapon in the characters view helps make solidify that there is a character there. Without it it's easier to think of "the player" as a floating camera and not "my guy"

Also I think part of the reason I prefer the cockpit view is that I check my speed and my mirrors frequently so while the interior of the car is not always seen it is frequently seen. Oh and when I drive I can always see the a bit of my hood, the top of the wheel and sometimes my hand, so at least for me, that drawing with the added field of view is inaccurate. So while neither view is perfect I find the "cockpit" view to feel like I am inside a car, whereas the dash cam makes me feel like I'm either looking out of a police style dash cam or I have my chin way over the wheel so all I can see is when is in front and outside. But generally I use the 3rd person view for driving because it seems the most efficient in a game.

But yeah, removing features sucks. Even if you were one of 10 people who used that view and it got focus tested out, the fact is that they remade the game and added a bunch of features, but they took out one that clearly matters to you and that sucks. They probably though that it was one too many views to cycle through, but I feel like it wouldn't be terribly hard to have an option in the menu that picks which form of first person driving your car goes to so it can toggle between the 3rd person views and the cockpit view or the 3rd person views and the dash cam.

Just because something seems pointless to me doesn't mean it's removal doesn't impact others. Being nasty about it just seems childish and it sucks that you got responses like that.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

@humanity said:

You need situational awareness afforded by third person view when driving vehicles in video games.

You do.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hatking

Why the shit would they remove that? I understand the idea that it might seem redundant to have both, but it's not like it would have hurt anybody to give the option.

I kind of hate first person driving, myself. It's like driving while wearing blinders. Not that driving in video games is anything even approaching an approximation of the real life sensation of driving. Third person is so much easier to wrap my head around. Situational awareness that peripheral vision and side windows allow in real life is much harder to make work in video games. I'd rather just see around my vehicle and "break immersion" than hit every curb, fire hydrant, and passing vehicle while concentrating on going straight.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

You need situational awareness afforded by third person view when driving vehicles in video games.

You do.

Yeah pretty much this. On SOME occasion the first person (HOOD) cam is worse than the 3'rd person - but the feel of driving is much much MUCH better than 3'rd person.

The new shitty FPS cam is much better than 3'rd person but still not as good as hood.
    I'd rather have an accident 5% more often in hood cam and be immersed. What baffles me is the FPS cam is I'm having an accident 30% more often, people seem cool with that :/

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Cockpit or gtfo

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes very insightful.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm a hood cam guy myself. I freaking love GTAV so far, but I'd be using hood cam if it were there. I've always found the cockpit views too obtrusive, and the third person views never seem to handle turns properly to where I find myself having to use the view stick to compensate, which is a fucking nightmare.

The reason I love hood cam is because it's the most like actual driving. I almost feel like it's cheating to be able to have all the situational awareness afforded by third person. With hood cam, YOU have to be aware, and it makes things more intense. I'm a car guy in real life, so I want the purest experience. On racing games, I will use hood cam whenever it's available, and I consistently post far better lap times with it than I ever can in third person despite the vision advantages it affords. I find myself more engaged in driving with hood cam, and it's just more fun.

Godspeed to you on your quest, sir. If you manage to get Rockstar to patch it in, you'll have done some great work in my book and GTAV will become even more awesome.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a hood cam guy myself. <SNIP>

Godspeed to you on your quest, sir. If you manage to get Rockstar to patch it in, you'll have done some great work in my book and GTAV will become even more awesome.

I hate to do this (again and again and again) but PLEASE, PLEASE ANYONE who is reading this who cares about it. Even lurkers
    Rockstar support have specifically told me, to get it back you _NEED_ to email "GTAOnline@Rockstargames.com" - that's their current suggestion box (SP and MP) Just email them a very very short email

SUBJ: "PLEASE BRING BACK THE EXTERNAL HOOD CAMERA"
    BODY: (reasons, insert links to some of the comparison shots, tell them something)

It won't happen without your help people, I can only email them so much without being added to a block filter :/
    I can be as passionate about it as I like but even 10000 post forum entries or 2500 views on imgur links is meaningless without those emails to them.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks to Rorie, I can bump this.

For those of you who care / sold the game / miss this feature, it's been re-added in the latest patch! Oh the glory ♥

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.