Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Grand Theft Auto V Viral Marketing Starting to Trickle Out

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By fjordson

http://www.epsilonprogram.com

http://www.twitter.com/EpsilonismToday

The Epsilon Program is a religious cult (and Scientology spoof) based in San Andreas that R* also used to tease GTA: San Andreas. It was referenced a bunch in-game by characters and on the radio. I believe some of what's on the site is from the 2004 campaign for San Andreas, but I'm not totally sure. The Twitter account is certainly brand new and starting to build up followers already. Some pretty funny stuff on the site, though.

Even though it's not technically new info on the game, I'm excited just because of the absolute drought of info after that initial trailer (and the two screenshots I suppose). Hopefully this means something is brewing.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

1. The world is 157 years old - FACT!

2. Dinosaurs are a lie that people believe because they are weak - FACT!

3. You are happy, you just don’t know it - FACT!

4. We all come from the same tree - FACT!

5. Everyone is related to everyone else, except for people with red hair - FACT!

6. Sperm does not exist - it is a lie spread by biology teachers - along with everything else you have ever been told - FACT!

7. Men are supposed to lie with nine new partners a week. Women are supposed to lie with six, except for in July, when they must lie with five men a day - FACT!

8. Aliens exist and are present on earth. If you have a birth mark, you may be descended from Kraff, the famous Emperor of the 4th Paradigm - FACT!

9. Trees talk, but only some people hear them - FACT!

10. People who believe in something live much longer than atheists, and they have eternal life thrown in for good measure - FACT!

11. If you believe this and turn you hands and wallet over to EPSILONISM, you’ll live a happy life. Otherwise you are doomed - FACT!

12. KIFFLOM - HAPPINESS IS YOURS! KIFFLOM!

If you didn't know this, maybe you should read the Epsilon Tract.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Aegon

Are you sure the twitter account isn't just a fan who got an idea?

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fjordson

@Aegon said:

Are you sure the twitter account isn't just a fan who got an idea?

Nah. The website (which loads content from "rockstargames.com" if I watch the bottom of my browser) has a link for the Twitter. Seems like it's legit.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Dagbiker

Dose the campaign consist of giving your cell phone number to a guy, and him constantly call you to go bowling?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MikeGosot

I send them an e-mail:

"Dear Soon To Be Brothers,

As i was told by a tree, i traveled through the dawn to the pass pictured in your brochures. I looked for a red truck with a dent on the right fender, raised my left hand and recited the words: "Take me to to my father-father, brother-uncle. Kifflom.". I even brought a blindfold, but nothing happened. Why you didn't took care of the rest, soon to be brothers? Where i was wrong?"

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By DharmaBum

I remember back in San Andreas there was some mystery around a specific pedestrian w/ a backpack who yelled "KIFFLOM!" Naturally, there were all kinds of elaborate rumors about attending a secret Epsilon cult meeting, but like the legendary sasquatch myth it was never confirmed to exist. I wonder where Rockstar's headed with this Twitter account.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spoonman671

I don't know, Rockstars satire just seems kind of lame and juvenile now.  I''m not sure if it's because I've grown up, or if their brand of humor has become a bit cliche and feels faux-edgy.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fjordson

@Spoonman671 said:

I don't know, Rockstars satire just seems kind of lame and juvenile now. I''m not sure if it's because I've grown up, or if their brand of humor has become a bit cliche and feels faux-edgy.

Or just neither. Since humour is subjective....

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By ThePickle

@Spoonman671 said:

I don't know, Rockstars satire just seems kind of lame and juvenile now. I''m not sure if it's because I've grown up, or if their brand of humor has become a bit cliche and feels faux-edgy.

You're confusing GTA with Saints Row.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Scientology will sue.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Seppli
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Seppli

I believe it to be common knowledge that Ginger's do have a soul... and that GTAV will revv up for its patented 2-month hypecycle for a late October/early November release, starting at GamesCom in Cologne, which happens on the 15th of August through the 19th.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Benny
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Cincaid said:

5. Everyone is related to everyone else, except for people with red hair - FACT!

Phew!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think Rockstar needs to make a choice between satire and grim drama, because both existing in fucking GTA4 made that game a complete non-sequitur for me. Yes, you're this intense brooding man who has had to lead an amoral life in order to get by, and you just want to start over in America... land of Republican Commandos and tw@ and all the other ridiculous stuff. How are you supposed to be grounded in reality if every one of your mission characters are complete over-the-top satire of something you want to poke fun at? It works for Saints Row because that game has left reality behind.

I either want a wild and crazy Saints Row style game where you make fun of the Scientologists... or I want a serious look at their cult and the grim truth of it all.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cloudenvy

@dudeglove said:

That's cool and all, now how about they make the game fun?

That'd be nice.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By face15

Eh. All the jokes seem really uninspired and not at all funny.

I actually really liked the mismatched nature of the super moody and grim story with the over-the-top satire and down-right stupid jokes in GTA IV. I guess the incongruity made it funny and it actually felt like it fit in a weird way.

This just feels shitty. Like completely unoriginal and just not funny. Maybe it will work better in the game, but I find this kind of off-putting.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fjordson

@face15 said:

This just feels shitty. Like completely unoriginal and just not funny. Maybe it will work better in the game, but I find this kind of off-putting.

They didn't just shit this out last week. They used the Epsilon Program to tease GTA: San Andreas eight years ago. And then there was this whole easter egg surrounding certain NPC's in GTA: SA that would spout random things from the cult's tenets. There were also some possible connections to it in GTA IV (like when one of the talk radio interviewees signed off with "Kifflom!").

Bringing it back is kind of a nice nod to San Andreas, imo.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By Yummylee

While I thought the story itself had a lot of funny moments, the humour littered throughout the radio stations of GTAIV were terrible and lot of it was centred on women being whores. Which I wasn't offended by or anything, it just felt really lazy and they strung those sorts of jokes across so much; Lazlow's material in particular was dreadful compared to the 'Chatterbox' days. Honestly I never bothered with any of the talk shows for too long in GTAIV. Unfortunately those sorts of quotes for this viral thing don't quite tickle my funny bone, either.

Yet despite this I still find a lot of the satire in Vice City and GTAIII to be pretty funny, so it's got nothing to do with me moving beyond that sort of humour, nor was it because I felt it stood out against the oppressive atmosphere of the story. I still really enjoyed the soundtrack in GTAIV, though.

BossPanzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By BossPanzer

Funny thing is that some people are so stupid that they will take this seriously.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By kindgineer

I turned the website off because I absolutely hate anything that forces you to listen to music of any sort and does not control the volume correctly.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By AndrewB

I love when a game has this long drawn-out marketing scheme when all I want is to actually buy and play said game. Now. Less money spent on stuff that isn't the game and more spent on the game. That's the ideal.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@dudeglove said:

That's cool and all, now how about they make the game fun?

You suggesting GTA 4 wasn't fun?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Hunter5024

I hope this is a character in the game.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By face15

@Fjordson: I feel like that could have brought it back but used jokes that weren't shit.

TheSheepherder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheSheepherder
    @Dagbiker said:

Dose the campaign consist of giving your cell phone number to a guy, and him constantly call you to go bowling?

No cousin I don't want to go bowling.
    Mixwizzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mixwizzard

The first site is from the original San Andreas' ad campaign. But yeah, Twitter account is definitely new. Which might mean that Epsiolon will play a role in V (?)

dooscent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dooscent

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Cincaid said:

Phew!

Quickly! To the ginger corral! We must stop this heinous non-red haired inbreeding!

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BasketSnake

KIFFLOM!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.