Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

GTA Online Compensation Announced

• 132 results
    jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jimmyfenix
    No Caption Provided

Rockstar will give GTA Online players half a million in-game dollars to make up for the game's troubled launch.

GTA Online, the multiplayer portion of Grand Theft Auto 5, launched on 1st October and quickly buckled under the pressure applied to it by millions of players. It was, for many, unplayable.

Now GTA Online performance has improved, Rockstar has announced a "special stimulus package" for all who have played or will play GTA Online this month. Half a million GTA$ will be dropped into the bank accounts of players this month starting next week.

To keep the in-game economy balanced this money will be deposited in two waves of $250,000. The first of these will be made by the end of next week. The second will be by the end of the month.

"For players who experienced cloud server errors, connection issues, and lost game progress and characters in these first days of GTA Online, we hope this GTA$ helps to facilitate a fresh start or makes your continued life in Los Santos and Blaine County extra sweet," Rockstar said.

The small print:

• You must play or have played Grand Theft Auto Online at any time during the month of October 2013 in order to qualify for the GTA$500,000 deposit in your in-game bank account.
    • Players will first have to install a forthcoming GTAV title update which we expect to happen next week. That title update (1.04) is expected to fix the remaining instances of issues that have caused vehicle purchase loss and will also enable the functionality through which we'll be providing this GTA$ stimulus cash to players.
    • We will announce at the Rockstar Newswire when each deposit is made.
    • Each of the two GTA$250,000 deposits will be made by Rockstar and should automatically appear in the in-game GTA Online bank accounts of eligible players. Beyond downloading the forthcoming title update mentioned above, there should not be any additional special action required by eligible players to redeem.

Source

This seems like a good compensation for people who have had problems with GTA online. Now since GTA online is stable for the most part i would like to know when the content creator and heists will be added into GTA online.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

So....everyone can just go out and buy the best house after this?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@the_laughing_man: My thought exactly. The best house in the game just became a whole lot less special. While I enjoy that they are compensating people Id rather just earn my money the hard way. Id much rather have a XP boost it something.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Good news for you as you were recently talking about maybe not playing anymore since you lost a sizable amount of money due to server issues!

Personally I bought the second to shittiest house in the game (has good garage access) because I think it's funny to have a really awful house. It's a bit lame that they didn't bother to model separate interiors for these houses as both the richest apartments and poorest apartments all look identical on the inside. I'll probably use this money to buy some car or maybe an airplane hanger - do they have those in Online yet?

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I haven't played the multiplayer yet. I don't think it's my thing from what I have seen but surly the act of earning the cash is the main reward for playing the missions. It's like COD having issues and making up for it by getting everyone to level 65.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jimmyfenix

@humanity said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Good news for you as you were recently talking about maybe not playing anymore since you lost a sizable amount of money due to server issues!

Personally I bought the second to shittiest house in the game (has good garage access) because I think it's funny to have a really awful house. It's a bit lame that they didn't bother to model separate interiors for these houses as both the richest apartments and poorest apartments all look identical on the inside. I'll probably use this money to buy some car or maybe an airplane hanger - do they have those in Online yet?

I really need a helicopter so i guess that is what i will be spending my money on.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@humanity said:

@the_laughing_man said:

That's what I'll be doing, buying maybe the second worst House and then just waste the rest of the money on other stuff. Weapons, clothing, cars, planes, helicopters.. whatever

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mattf87: you need to level up to unlock stuff so let's say someone who just got in gets 500000 dollars they still need to level up and get access to the stuff they want to buy, you can't just finish the tutorail missions and buy everything in sight this is obviously a feature added so rich people that buy gta cash online can't just buy every weapon at level 1

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@humanity said:

@the_laughing_man said:

That's what I'll be doing, buying maybe the second worst House and then just waste the rest of the money on other stuff. Weapons, clothing, cars, planes, helicopters.. whatever

I guess I will buy the second worst house as well and buy a bunch of stupid stuff.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this is neat I guess. Not really sure what I'll do with all that money, though.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By 49th

That seems dumb. Now everyone has the best everything.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: It is good for people who have lost money and characters but in terms of weapons , cars and items to buy are ranked base. So the only thing which will be obsolete is the properties. The only thing i want is HEISTS....man.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Humanity

@the_laughing_man said:

@zeforgotten said:

@humanity said:

@the_laughing_man said:

I guess I will buy the second worst house as well and buy a bunch of stupid stuff.

Maybe I'd suggest you guys get one of the mid-tier houses. There is one where the garage exit lines up perfectly with a ramp going off a balcony - sweet jumps every time you drive out of the garage. Now that I think about it, I'll probably get that one since they reimburse you for half value of your previous house purchase.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix: Same here. But at least everyone (in theory, depending on how people spend this money) will have a planning for when the heists do come out.

Maybe I'll invest in some weapon and car mods first. Been meaning to start fixing up a car that can hold 4 people.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zeforgotten

@humanity said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@zeforgotten said:

@humanity said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Maybe I'd suggest you guys get one of the mid-tier houses. There is one where the garage exit lines up perfectly with a ramp going off a balcony - sweet jumps every time you drive out of the garage. Now that I think about it, I'll probably get that one since they reimburse you for half value of your previous house purchase.

What's your gain in this purchase, Mr. real estate agent? :P
    I do like sweet jumps though

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's cool. I will be buying some sweet vehicles and put turbo in them.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By joshth

But I really don't want this! I've been enjoying GTA online since I started playing last weekend. Part of what I've enjoyed is the sense of progression, and I don't want that to be ruined for me by getting a ton of money. Is there a way to turn down the money or get rid of it easily?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshth said:

But I really don't want this! I've been enjoying GTA online since I started playing last weekend. Part of what I've enjoyed is the sense of progression, and I don't want that to be ruined for me by getting a ton of money. Is there a way to turn down the money or get rid of it easily?

I know you can drop ammo, guns and cigarets for others to pick up. I wonder if you can drop money?

Just go out somewhere random and drop 500k and walk away and hope it despawns. OR someone is lucky enough to stumble over it

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hey let us compensate you for having to play our shitty online by encouraging you to play more of it

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshth said:

I know you can drop ammo, guns and cigarets for others to pick up. I wonder if you can drop money?

Just go out somewhere random and drop 500k and walk away and hope it despawns. OR someone is lucky enough to stumble over it

If you can drop 500k off the top of a skyscraper I want to totally do that

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th said:

That seems dumb. Now everyone has the best everything.

It's really not THAT much money. Yeah, it's enough to buy the best house. That's about it. If you choose to buy and mod cars instead, it's gonna go quick. Modding guns isn't cheap. Certain colors of paint aren't even cheap. It's sure as hell not enough to have the best everything.

I'm surprised they did this move though. This is definitely enough cash to cost them lots and lots of opportunities to sell cash packs later.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By Yummylee

I, er... yeah, that's sort of weird. It kinda defeats GTA Online's heavy sense of progression; every dollar earned is special in that game, because of how expensive most things are and most especially because of the (somewhat overly) steep price you pay when you die. 2K on its own isn't much, but in a game like GTA Online, it can all add up pretty damn quickly.

Now everyone will be cruising around in the best cars (or... one of the best cars least), living in the best houses, and it defeats the sense of satisfaction in saving up for that stuff. I mean sure, you can waste it away on other things, but then you'll just feel left behind, as I'm pretty sure 99.9% of players are going to spend to their hearts content.

...But I guess I will at least be able to drive around in the fake Aston Martin car, though.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

THIS WILL JUST CAUSE INFLATION, THIS WON'T STAND

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm already close to getting the 205k house as it is. I really need to mod my guns and car. I need a 4 door one so I can cruise with da homies

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jimmyfenix
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_xp said:

I'm already close to getting the 205k house as it is. I really need to mod my guns and car. I need a 4 door one so I can cruise with da homies

Argh every car I like is 2-door. I'm gonna have to settle on some 4 door eventually.

By the way, can you mod a Sanchez? You can't mod the 4 wheeler.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

In before the attempted payments cause issues. People will turn on the game and find whatever amount of money they had replaced with 250,000 or when they go to add the money the servers drop and they never appear.

This ain't over yet.

I also tend to agree that I've had a lot of fun being a low-level criminal. It's made getting my first garage in Mirror Park into a personal moment where I decided where I was going to base myself based on what I could afford, what car spoke to the truth of my character (I got a Primo painted black because that's hood as fuck) and not necessarily what is 'the best' car statistically. Knocking over gas stations and getting blasted and losing 5,000 dollars when I only have 20.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie said:

Hey let us compensate you for having to play our shitty online by encouraging you to play more of it

Yeah they should have given out New Super Luigi U or CoD map packs amirite?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

does vehicle purchase loss extend to single player too? Cause that would be dope, I got a pimped-out supercar I won't take out of the garage in fear of it disappearing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Ill just give the money to some random people. The whole point of the progression is working your way to the top even though Im scraping to get money back after buying my 150k apartment that's also what is fun about the game. Most likely overreacting a bit to this but I just don't want the game to be destroyed before it began.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its cool they're trying to do something to make up for it. Bunch of snarky dicks complaining about it lol.

I mean they have it set up for microtransactions to get more cash and they're just giving everyone half a million. Good on them.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lord_Xp

@mideonnviscera: I have no idea. But I do need a Sanchez for the mountain trails. I have lots of things I could buy with that money

Edit: My friend hasn't received any patches at all. But somehow it allows him to play online anyways without problems. Any ideas from you guys?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lord_xp said:

@mideonnviscera: I have no idea. But I do need a Sanchez for the mountain trails. I have lots of things I could buy with that money

Edit: My friend hasn't received any patches at all. But somehow it allows him to play online anyways without problems. Any ideas from you guys?

Your friend is either an idiot or blind. He has the patches.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, im level 32 and i EASILY wasted 200k modding a bunch of cars to try out. 500k isn't all that much, you can relax about it "ruining the game" for everyone.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie: Alright that was the stupid answer. How about a more logical one. I told him the patch download was out. He jumps online, tells me that the patch download screen didn't pop up and continued to play GTAO with me. Same with 1.03 patch. Still able to play.

I use giant bomb to help me because I won't get bitched at by asshats like the 99% of the rest of the internet.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_xp said:

@baillie: Alright that was the stupid answer. How about a more logical one. I told him the patch download was out. He jumps online, tells me that the patch download screen didn't pop up and continued to play GTAO with me. Same with 1.03 patch. Still able to play.

I use giant bomb to help me because I won't get bitched at by asshats like the 99% of the rest of the internet.

There is no way he doesn't have it. He might not have noticed it, accepted out of habit or someone else played and did it for him. He absolutely has to have the patch, he wouldnt be able to play without it.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix:

@pie said:

Yes and anybody that disagrees needs to go read a book

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Clonedzero

@pie said:

@jimmyfenix:

@mideonnviscera said:

@pie said:

Disagrees with what? You weren't forced to play the online when rockstar even said it'd be really janky at launch. So whats your issue, that they're trying to do something nice?

Fuck dude. And people wonder why gamers get such a bad rap

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie said:

@jimmyfenix:

@mideonnviscera said:

@pie said:

Disagrees with what? You weren't forced to play the online when rockstar even said it'd be really janky at launch. So whats your issue, that they're trying to do something nice?

Fuck dude. And people wonder why gamers get such a bad rap

And I hate women

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By zeforgotten

@gorillamopena said:

@zeforgotten said:

@joshth said:

If you can drop 500k off the top of a skyscraper I want to totally do that

Yeah! Though I think sadly it will just be a tiny wad of cash (but still equal to 500k for some reason) that falls down from there and not a rain of dollar bills.
    That is of course if dropping money like ammo is even possible though I would've liked to just get up to the top of the tallets building and just making it rain down on people

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pie

In all seriousness this is only good for Rockstar as it just gets them more headlines about their game (something they don't really need but still) and might encourage people who quit to go back and give it another try. And with it they are basically saying that they don't think the early progression of online is any fun (they already sort of say this with their microtransactions). I don't really see them giving players a way to bypass the early part of online as being a "nice" thing of them to do. Unless you think that they designed the early part of online to be negative in some ways to encourage you to buy their microtransaction stuff, but that would be crazy talk

@clonedzero@mideonnviscera@jimmyfenix

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody who doesn't want the money can deposit it directly to my account! ;)

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's less about letting us bypass stuff, and more about doing something that is good enough that people who lost their characters will be happy.

Anyway, you CAN mod the Sanchez, but only to add explosives and theft prevention. I couldn't even paint it. So there's no need to own one really.

I also just bought a Bati, and can't do body mods. Are the body mods even in online? I want that side pipe exhaust!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@humanity said:

@the_laughing_man said:

I really need a helicopter so i guess that is what i will be spending my money on.

You can buy a hanger for helicopters and airplanes? Where is it? I bought an apartment next to a helicopter spawn so I can always get one, but it would be nice to have a helipad on my house so its right there.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To compensate our broken online mode we will also break the economy a little!

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero: Maybe that's what happened. From what he told me he didn't receive the pop up window to download either of the patches

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BWAHAHAHA Stimulus package.

GTA still taking the piss as always.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: My thought exactly. The best house in the game just became a whole lot less special. While I enjoy that they are compensating people Id rather just earn my money the hard way. Id much rather have a XP boost it something.

The best house is the exact same as the 200k house. Only thing is location which is actually in a worse spot in you are looking to be centralized where everything else is.

What I think is funny about the compensation is that I lost absolutely nothing with all the errors and I get a free 500k. My friend lost his character and has been told to NOT make a new one and he gets the same amount of money but without his level, stats or already purchased apartment. HAHAHA I love not getting the bugs!

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need $737.000 then i'm out

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, you know what. I know what I want. I want to buy a fucking tank. That's what I want. With that 500k + my own money I should be able to afford one. THEN THEN I wreak havoc. Either that or I use the 500k to put 10k bounties on everyone in my serve and watch in glee as they rip each other apart

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.