Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

List of functional nuances

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

So in this thread we'll just post random things we've noticed happen or that you can do that don't really have a spot in any other specific Topic or aren't considered easter eggs. (Use this thread for functional aspects and quirks of the game, see the list so far below. Don't use it for comments like "You can go play tennis." or "noticed this detail." Guess I should have made the title a little clearer.)

So after finishing a mission and returning to Michael's crib (as Michael) I saw Tracey take off somewhere in her car, dropped her top and on the road she went. Well I decided to follow her to see if she was actually going to some sort of activity. About five minutes into it I realized that:

Tracey in the car changed into a random dude NPC, without me even noticing when the change occurred. And it wasn't that a new driver got in, but the character model actually changed to a guy at some point.

LIST:

Story Characters change into random NPCs on the road when not in missions. - @hurricaneivan29

Unique characters can drive you around outside of missions - @jimmyfenix

You can steal and save cars connected to unique characters. I.E. Amanda's "KRYST4L" plated sports car. -@mikkaq

Vigilantism is not tolerated by the cops even when helping them directly, and increases wanted level - @crusader8463

Hair may grow back on the characters throughout the game if they get haircuts early on. - @OldManLight

Always use the character whose name is marked for a mission that multiple protagonists can start (EX: if the map has an M, go with Michael). If it's a mission that isnt marked as a characters name, give this a thought! Which character is most closely related to the mission giver (EX: if it's a bureau mission, go with Michael) - @Naru_Joe93

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Had one strange experience choosing Trevor and it spawned me to where he was in the middle of the park wearing only underwear screaming at a scared bum that ran off, "I don't care if you did not wash it!!!". That left me with a thousand questions I did not want an answer to. Love some of the dialog and partial conversations you run into.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

I was walking around under a bridge and I met a female bum. She told me to piss off. So I did.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I was Heading out with micheal and saw a Mini parked so i got in it. I was surprised when i was forced into the Passenger side and Tracey was driving it. I kept pressing Right on the Dpad and was saying "Hey Tracey"

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I like that police chase people other than you and events actually happen around you that have nothing to do with you. Adds flavor to the world, and makes me feel less like a kid in a sandbox and more like a crazy criminal.

I just need someone to tell me "Stop! You have violated the law!" And I'll run them right over.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: That almost happened for me, cops got into a shootout with some Vagos... and then I ruined the verisimilitude of the situation by running back and forth looting everyone who died while the shootout was still happening.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Clonedzero

I like that police chase people other than you and events actually happen around you that have nothing to do with you. Adds flavor to the world, and makes me feel less like a kid in a sandbox and more like a crazy criminal.

I just need someone to tell me "Stop! You have violated the law!" And I'll run them right over.

Yesterday i just swapped to Franklin and he was walking out of a store and there was a massive police chase and shoot out in the middle of the street right in front of me. Like 3 cop cars chasing an SUV, the SUV crashed and a bunch of dudes jumped out and had a shoot out with the cops, they killed the cops then got back in the car and drove off. It was crazy.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Stealthmaster86

@believer258: That happened to me last night. Unfortunately, the cop car crashed my car and I suddenly got a One Star Wanted Level.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

There's an early mission as Franklin where you have to take Michael's wife's car to get repaired and then drop it off. So I dropped the car off and decided to switch to Michael for a while. When I finally switched back to Franklin, he not only got back in the car but took it on a joyride. Now Michael's wife's car sits in Franklin's Grove Street garage, having effectively stolen it. So now I roll around in a red convertible with "KRYST4L" on the plates.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animated couch cushions in cutscenes blew my mind.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Watching Lester get into the car differently because of his bum leg was a neat little touch.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@believer258 said:

Yesterday i just swapped to Franklin and he was walking out of a store and there was a massive police chase and shoot out in the middle of the street right in front of me. Like 3 cop cars chasing an SUV, the SUV crashed and a bunch of dudes jumped out and had a shoot out with the cops, they killed the cops then got back in the car and drove off. It was crazy.

I had that happen too. I tried to help the cops by taking down the gangbangers and they just all turned on me the second I took one of them down and I had a wanted level. Was rather disappointed. I wasn't expecting a ticker tape parade or anything, but it was a rather disappointing outcome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Switched to Franklin and he was being chased by a homeless man.

And when I noticed that when Michael was wearing sandals and that they actually animated like sandals would when you walk was kind of a weird "wow" moment. The attention to tiny details like that is really impressive.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

at first I thought it was just shadows, but if you go running around with a character they will actually get sweaty which is really neat. The way the characters you take on a heist actually talk is cool too, like Franklin calling my driver by name in the first heist b/c he had gotten us lost. it would have been really easy for them to just make all the drivers guys and use a generic 'homie' or 'dude' rather than their names.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever I switch to Michael, he's sitting on a bench yelling like a dick at a forest ranger or beach lifeguard because they told him to put out a cigarette or whatever.

"You think it will burn down the area? Let me tell you something, this whole neighborhood is a fucking ash tray, buddy!" .. something along those lines.

Love it!

Also, if you park a car on grass and blow it up, a fire truck will come, and about 4 firemen will jump out and chase the fire around with their extinguishers and put it out. THING IS, if you threaten them, they aim their fire extinguishers at you :D

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: I didn't shoot them expecting a cop in real life to react that way. I just ran up behind them and knocked them in the head. Forgot to take into account that the PC's have super strength and can kill people in 1 hit.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found the intersection where the police station was in LA noire. It's posh apartments now, I also had a look at the top of the hill where the crashed car is in the first proper mission in LA noire. Was kind of hoping there would be some kind of nod to that game but i didn't find anything.

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I remember being Michael and leaving my house and seeing the kid leave the house taking the mini. I got in with him and he proceeded to basically drive within 2 blocks of his house ...for a while.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was playing as Michael, just decided to get my hair cut, walked into the hairdressers and it was being robbed, they put a gun to my head told me to get down then left. I then chased after them, killed them all and brought the stolen money back to the hairdresser. It was a pretty amazing moment, something I did not expect at all.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nekroskop

During the first mission as Trevor I acidentally killed the love interest of the man Trevor killed in the cut-scene and it changed the dialogue during the car ride. I went back and avoided her and the dialogue was entirely different.

Also if characters have a mission where they meet eachother you can see the scene play out from totally different perspectives.(tennis coach etc.)

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Teoball

I've just been driving around doing the tow truck missions and such as Franklin for five hours. The last(?) tow truck mission popped up before I even met Michael, but Tonya still said she had seen me cruising around with a white guy.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when i noticed lamar was wearing slippers in a certain part. Had me laughing real hard.

Also hearing one of my favourite "underground" bands on the radio blew my mind

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teoball said:

I've just been driving around doing the tow truck missions and such as Franklin for five hours. The last(?) tow truck mission popped up before I even met Michael, but Tonya still said she had seen me cruising around with a white guy.

To be fair, she was high at the time...

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JouselDelka

I was playing as Michael, just decided to get my hair cut, walked into the hairdressers and it was being robbed, they put a gun to my head told me to get down then left. I then chased after them, killed them all and brought the stolen money back to the hairdresser. It was a pretty amazing moment, something I did not expect at all.

Now *that* is a sexual fantasy right there! Hope it happens to me.
    Now *that* is a sexual fantasy right there! Hope it happens to me.

Read it in his voice, dude's hilarious on the GTAV radio.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

couple things i've noticed that made me smile at how much subtle awesome stuff is in this game,

1. got trevor a haircut early in the game, completely bald, a few hours later of gameplay i noticed his haircut began growing back.

2. got into a gunfight in the street going after random event criminals, shot a ton of holes in there car but no fire no explosion like past GTA games, they got back in there car and drove away, left a trail of gasoline on the ground that i could ignite.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@oldmanlight: Yeah, I just read #1 in another one of your posts in another thread. Thanks for sharing here as well! With #2, can they actually run out of gasoline, I've heard that they can; I'd just like some confirmation.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By awesomeusername

When click the right stick to look behind you while driving, whoever you're playing as looks at the mirror. Nice little touch.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

couple things i've noticed that made me smile at how much subtle awesome stuff is in this game,

1. got trevor a haircut early in the game, completely bald, a few hours later of gameplay i noticed his haircut began growing back.

2. got into a gunfight in the street going after random event criminals, shot a ton of holes in there car but no fire no explosion like past GTA games, they got back in there car and drove away, left a trail of gasoline on the ground that i could ignite.

1 is awesome, and I saw my friend have 2 happen to him. He fucked a car up badly and it left a trail of gas, but he liked the car and wanted to keep it. The car then backfired and caught the gasoline on fire. He drove away immediately though so I dunno if it would've exploded the car.

I love that cops now chase other people. I was walking Chop, tossing the ball in the alley behind Franklins' house, and I hear a car crash, police sirens, doors opening and then gunshotsand screaming. And then I continued the walk.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.