Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

New GTA V screenshots - "Our biggest open world game to date"

• 127 results
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Ben_H

Quite excited for this. The city already looks huge, which is great. I recently went back and played through San Andreas and I definitely love the gigantic map. Now if it is filled with detail it would be even better.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Sooty

I hope it uses the Max Payne movement and shooting because GTA IV was clunky as fuck. If it does that then I think this could be a much more enjoyable game to play than IV was.

and I hope the team that worked on Max Payne 3 PC release a PC version of this. 60 FPS with Dx11, drool.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By deadmanforking

Still not too hyped for this game. But as more and more stuff comes out my hype levels will increase...a lot.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I'm very excited. And I hope they don't "fix" the driving because the driving in GTAIV was awesome.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By AngelN7

@PeasantAbuse said:

I'm very excited. And I hope they don't "fix" the driving because the driving in GTAIV was awesome.

This! I loved the driving in IV felt even better than some other driving games, I also like the shooting but I can see that getting improved but the driving is fine as it is just add more to it.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#56  Edited By ThePickle

@Jimbo said:

@ThePickle said:

@mtcantor said:

@Ravenlight said:

@Hailinel said:

Planes work just fine in Saints Row: The Third, and that open world isn't exactly gigantic. I don't know what Rockstar's excuse is.

That's the same reaction I had. The cities in those two games were of comparable sizes, were they not? Or am I misremembering?

This is because Saint's Row is about having fun. GTA isn't.

Yeah, those silly Rockstar guys just focus on insignificant stuff like "innovation" and "story". What they need is dildo-shooting rocket launchers and tigers in cars.

It doesn't say much for Rockstar if they have been focussing on innovation and story, because GTA 4 still had a shitty story and Saints Row has been doing most of the innovating in the genre this gen.

GTA has never had a bad story. And where exactly is the innovation in Saints Row? Because all I saw were mechanics used in GTA games. Everything else was either ripped from something else or poorly done.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#57  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

A large world is great, but the real question is, will there actually be things to do in that large world? And will they be, you know, fun?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#58  Edited By Seppli

I predict they'll be launching GTAV between late October and mid November. Rockstars' trademark 2 month hype cycle is about to revv up any time now.

Can't wait! GTA San Andreas is my favorite GTA thus far, especially for how big it was, and all the open road in the countryside, perfect for just cruising and listening to the radio - GTAV being even bigger, that's making giddy with anticipation!

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SmilingPig

Not sure that I am excited about yet another GTA.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By hatking

@Bell_End said:

@MAGZine said:

Just fix the driving and get rid of the cellphone, and it will be a magical game.

you could turn the cellphone off in GTA4 thus removing it.

That, and the driving was fan-fucking-tastic. I loved the weighty, yet barely controllable feeling of the vehicles. Plus the real-time damage modeling is still something we've yet to see done quite the same. You could take a car park it against a wall and smash it with a firetruck, and guess what? As long as the engine was working, it had wheels to drive on, and you could fit in the car, it would run. One of the most fun things to do is pancaking an ambulance just to see how crazy you can get with it.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Jace

@HatKing said:

@Bell_End said:

@MAGZine said:

Just fix the driving and get rid of the cellphone, and it will be a magical game.

That, and the driving was fan-fucking-tastic. I loved the weighty, yet barely controllable feeling of the vehicles. Plus the real-time damage modeling is still something we've yet to see done quite the same. You could take a car park it against a wall and smash it with a firetruck, and guess what? As long as the engine was working, it had wheels to drive on, and you could fit in the car, it would run. One of the most fun things to do is pancaking an ambulance just to see how crazy you can get with it.

I'm so sick of hearing people complain about the driving in GTA IV. If you couldn't drive in GTA IV, you are just bad at driving in games. GTA IV had one of the most realistic driving models ever put into a game. That isn't just my opinion, there are tweaks and mods out there that prove it is capable of insane realism. GTA IV has a larger car community than most racing games, and that's just the PC version alone.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mtcantor

@Jace said:

@HatKing said:

@Bell_End said:

@MAGZine said:

I'm so sick of hearing people complain about the driving in GTA IV. If you couldn't drive in GTA IV, you are just bad at driving in games. GTA IV had one of the most realistic driving models ever put into a game. That isn't just my opinion, there are tweaks and mods out there that prove it is capable of insane realism. GTA IV has a larger car community than most racing games, and that's just the PC version alone.

Realistic != fun.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By hatking

@mtcantor said:

@Jace said:

@HatKing said:

@Bell_End said:

@MAGZine said:

Realistic != fun.

I have no idea how realistic it is - probably because I've never tried driving 120 through alley ways, the wrong side of the road, and off plywood ramps - but it certainly is more fun to drive in GTAIV than it is in any other open world games (Burnout Paradise not included).

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By Pie

I'm going to jump into the driving argument and say that GTA4 has amazing driving. @HatKing said:

@Bell_End said:

@MAGZine said:

just about sums it up. How has no one done a damage model that looks and feels as good as it did in GTA 4. Apart from Dirt 3 GTA4 has my favourite driving in any game (and it's not even a driving/ racing game). I would be severely disappointed if GTA5 reverts back to the shitty type of driving you see in other open world games such as Saints row where the cars feel really flimsy and way too "sharp" to drive if you know what I mean.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#65  Edited By Phatmac

Can't wait!

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By probablytuna

Biggest city to date sounds good, but if there's not enough interesting things to do in it, it's pretty pointless.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#67  Edited By pyromagnestir  Online

Oh... This is not enough to cheer me up right now, but it's cool.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Vodun

I'm hoping they bring some of the stuff from RDR in here. Like skinning....

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By hatking

@Pie: I couldn't agree more. In Saints Row, Crackdown, and other open world games of the like, the driving sort of seems secondary, just a means to get from mission to mission. In GTAIV is seems like an important part of the game. You want to drive from mission to mission in GTA. In Saints Row you need to drive from mission to mission. There is a difference.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#70  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Seppli said:

I predict they'll be launching GTAV between late October and mid November. Rockstars' trademark 2 month hype cycle is about to revv up any time now.

Wait what? We're expecting V to hit THIS YEAR? Did they announce 2012 or are you speculating? Surely it's a 2013 release since they made Max Payne this year. 

Oh my god, if V is released this year I'm gonna be ecstatic ^^
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Jimbo

@ThePickle said:

@Jimbo said:

@ThePickle said:

@mtcantor said:

@Ravenlight said:

@Hailinel said:

Planes work just fine in Saints Row: The Third, and that open world isn't exactly gigantic. I don't know what Rockstar's excuse is.

That's the same reaction I had. The cities in those two games were of comparable sizes, were they not? Or am I misremembering?

Yeah, those silly Rockstar guys just focus on insignificant stuff like "innovation" and "story". What they need is dildo-shooting rocket launchers and tigers in cars.

It doesn't say much for Rockstar if they have been focussing on innovation and story, because GTA 4 still had a shitty story and Saints Row has been doing most of the innovating in the genre this gen.

GTA has never had a bad story. And where exactly is the innovation in Saints Row? Because all I saw were mechanics used in GTA games. Everything else was either ripped from something else or poorly done.

Oh yeah, the stories in GTA 1 & 2 were classics alright. I particularly liked the bit where you got to steal a car and run people over.

Saints Row introduced Sat Nav mini-map (or at least before GTA did), and the cellphone as a gameplay mechanic (ditto), which GTA IV borrowed in just about the worst way possible. Saints 2 introduced fully integrated co-op, and did it so well that it should still be considered the blueprint for how to do co-op in this genre. I hope GTA V lifts that because decent co-op is by far the best thing that's happened to the genre this gen. The Saints games have brought plenty to the genre since they've been around.

I wouldn't describe GTA 4 as particularly innovative. I think it was more about the incredibly high production values (which were incredibly high) and the story (which was a trainwreck from about halfway through, imo). It did bring in the cover system, so credit where it's due for that I suppose... if you like that sort of thing.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#72  Edited By TheHBK

@Demoskinos said:

Well me getting this on PS3 confirmed. No way in hell is this shipping on one disc on 360. Hell Id be surprised if they can fit it on two discs.

Yes, because Skyrim's 3.9 GB could only fit on one Blu Ray. The PS3 sure benefitted from the extra space. One day devs might be able to use this thing called procedural generation, so yeah, PS3 is the only system to buy games on. ROOKIE.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By mtcantor

@Jimbo said:

@ThePickle said:

@Jimbo said:

@ThePickle said:

@mtcantor said:

@Ravenlight said:

@Hailinel said:

Oh yeah, the stories in GTA 1 & 2 were classics alright. I particularly liked the bit where you got to steal a car and run people over.

Saints Row introduced Sat Nav mini-map (or at least before GTA did), and the cellphone as a gameplay mechanic (ditto), which GTA IV borrowed in just about the worst way possible. Saints 2 introduced fully integrated co-op, and did it so well that it should still be considered the blueprint for how to do co-op in this genre. I hope GTA V lifts that because decent co-op is by far the best thing that's happened to the genre this gen. The Saints games have brought plenty to the genre since they've been around.

I wouldn't describe GTA 4 as particularly innovative. I think it was more about the incredibly high production values (which were incredibly high) and the story (which was a trainwreck from about halfway through, imo). It did bring in the cover system, so credit where it's due for that I suppose... if you like that sort of thing.

Saint's Row also has fully customizable player characters, complete with multiple voice sets.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By fjordson

Fucking hell. It's so beautiful. I don't know if I've ever been more excited for a game than I am for GTA V.

Though it sadly sounds like this definitely isn't coming out this year. Not a huge surprise at this point I guess, but damn, this feels like the final nail in the coffin with some of their wording.

Lovely shots, though. I like that it seems more...colorful than GTA IV, if that makes sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sheet... That is some pretty big game world, if they can have the Rockstar quality through it all, that's pretty crazy.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#76  Edited By Yanngc33

This game looks great, makes me want to build a kick ass PC

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#77  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Meh.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By MAGZine

@Pie said:

I'm going to jump into the driving argument and say that GTA4 has amazing driving. @HatKing said:

@Bell_End said:

@MAGZine said:

just about sums it up. How has no one done a damage model that looks and feels as good as it did in GTA 4. Apart from Dirt 3 GTA4 has my favourite driving in any game (and it's not even a driving/ racing game). I would be severely disappointed if GTA5 reverts back to the shitty type of driving you see in other open world games such as Saints row where the cars feel really flimsy and way too "sharp" to drive if you know what I mean.

Yep. The driving was realistic. The damage modeling is really cool and fun. The driving PHYSICS is cool and fun. The car HANDLING blew major chunks, and actually was one of the key reasons why I stopped playing IV. (The other being boring/monotonous/tedious/over-serious-but-underwritten story)

But I don't want realistic driving. I want arcadey driving. As someone already said, realistic != fun. If I want realistic driving, I'll play Shift and turn off assisted driving. I have no idea why so many people like the driving in GTA... especially when some people like the driving in Burnout Paradise, but dislike earlier GTA driving. THAT makes no sense, as they're both the same sort of arcadey driving physics.

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By AxleBro

jets and planes confirmed ka-pow

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By mrpandaman

So anyone realize that Rockstar is kind of like the Blizzard for consoles?

I'm always ready for a new GTA, I thought IV was kind of lacking when I compare it to San Andreas, but I am very hopeful for this.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By _Zombie_

The very sad fact that it'd be my first GTA game aside, I'm definitely considering buying this.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the driving in GTA IV for some strange reason.........  Or at least it was fine for me.  

Gringus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Gringus

I thought once you figured out how to drive well in GTA4 it was an absolute blast. It was challenging and rewarding. Chases were always exciting because of that.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By fjordson

Driving was one of the best things about GTA IV. So good.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#85  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@mrpandaman said:

So anyone realize that Rockstar is kind of like the Blizzard for consoles?

I'm always ready for a new GTA, I thought IV was kind of lacking when I compare it to San Andreas, but I am very hopeful for this.

Exactly what I was thinking when I was reading through this thread. Despite them putting out absurdly high quality games, people act like they release nothing but garbage.

GTAIV was definitely over hyped and disappointing in places, but it was hardly a bad game. I'm just hoping for a solid PC release this time.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I just recently went back and played some GTAIV, and while it has some issues (namely the driving and combat not being all that great) I have high hopes for GTAV. Hopefully some of the things from Red Dead like the better shooting and open world challenges for both single- and multiplayer will be brought over and improved upon. Also, I really hope there are some radio stations that I'll like this time around.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#87  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
    I liked the driving in GTA IV for some strange reason.........  Or at least it was fine for me.  
    Yeah it was fine for me as well.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Jimbo

@Fjordson said:

I agree.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#89  Edited By Hizang

I may have been out of the loop for a while, but wasn't GTAV set in just a portion of San Andreas?

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Cramsy

Fucking hype son, so much

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By glyn

@MAGZine said:

YO YO YO YO YO

IT'S BRUCIE BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#92  Edited By Pie

@MAGZine said:

@Pie said:

@Bell_End said:

@MAGZine said:

Yep. The driving was realistic. The damage modeling is really cool and fun. The driving PHYSICS is cool and fun. The car HANDLING blew major chunks, and actually was one of the key reasons why I stopped playing IV. (The other being boring/monotonous/tedious/over-serious-but-underwritten story)

But I don't want realistic driving. I want arcadey driving. As someone already said, realistic != fun. If I want realistic driving, I'll play Shift and turn off assisted driving. I have no idea why so many people like the driving in GTA... especially when some people like the driving in Burnout Paradise, but dislike earlier GTA driving. THAT makes no sense, as they're both the same sort of arcadey driving physics.

To be fair neither me or the person I quoted called the driving realistic and I wouldn't say the driving is realistic. I would compare it more to the kind of driving you see in action films (especially older ones) where the cars slam around corners and almost go on their side due to the soft suspension and the way the cars make that little jump when driving down a bumpy road, stuff like that. I would say the driving is difficult at first however GTA4 takes roughly about 50-60 hours to complete on a first playthrough, they needed to make the driving more interesting for the duration of the game rather than having the more simplified driving from previous games. Once you get good after a while you should be able to swerve in between traffic and and do a tight handbrake turn down an alleyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jimbo said:

@Fjordson said:

I agree.

Me too and I played it on the PC with m&k and it felt great can't wait until GTA 5 they always improve there games alot devs don't or they dumb down there games for mainstream. Rockstar always stuck to there guns and made games that I felt where raw and yet fun and adult centered.GTA3 got me back into gaming and it's been awesome since.I always find GTA4 hate funny since the game has a more serious tone now and it's more realistic I like that they had the guts to to go that route I enjoy it alot.But also I love SR3 craziness. GTA to me will always be the best sandbox games and the most innovative games around.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @mosespippy said:

Making a bigger world is no good if you don't fill it with things to do. GTA IV was sparse for interesting side content.

Agreed. I did enjoy GTA IV (pretty much just for it's main story line unfortunately) but it had it issues and the size of the world was not one of them. 

Still, I'm very excited to see what they have planned for GTA V.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By napalm

Make the game not play and feel like ass and I might consider. And don't artificially extend the story campaign for twenty extra hours.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By CL60

I liked the driving in GTA IV for some strange reason......... Or at least it was fine for me.

It's not strange. I think the people who say it was broken shit are the crazy ones. The driving was fantastic.

MegaMetaTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By MegaMetaTurtle
    @Bell_End

@MAGZine said:

Quoting this because no-one else seemed to notice this feature on the in game phone.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#98  Edited By Dalai

They had me at "biggest open world game to date."

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60 said:

I liked the driving in GTA IV for some strange reason......... Or at least it was fine for me.

It's not strange. I think the people who say it was broken shit are the crazy ones. The driving was fantastic.

I actually didnt really like the driving in Saints Row The Third....  I really dont get what was wrong with the driving in GTA IV
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @glyn said:

@MAGZine said:

YO YO YO YO YO

IT'S BRUCIE BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Brucie, I thought I told you to go fuck yourself? :) 

God, you guys are making me wanna install IV and play it. Again. For the fifth time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.