Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Playing Favorites: Franklin, Michael, or Trevor

• 58 results
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

Poll Playing Favorites: Franklin, Michael, or Trevor (245 votes)

Franklin, the Gangster 27%
    Michael, the Family Man 48%
    Trevor, the Drug Dealer 24%

Well, you gotta hand it to Rockstar: If they know anything it's how to cut a compelling trailer. Despite my general dislike for all thing GTA, I can't help but feel pumped for GTAV. Now that we've met the gang, who's your favorite? It's probably just because of the song, but right now I'm really feeling Michael. He seems like the one poised to have the most transformative experience over the course of the game.

• 
    Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Franklin because TDE

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Such a hard choice between Michael and Trevor for me, but I ultimately chose Trevor. Dude is just so unhinged and crazy (and his lines so far have been pretty funny). He feels like the right character for how most people play GTA, which is fucking shit up everywhere.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Trevor has a pretty big personality but I like Michael the most probably due the most human of the bunch.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like them all honestly. Trevor seems like the most out of control and interesting one though, so i'll go with him for now. There being 3 different protagonists that you play as is a pretty awesome idea.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

michael....he needs that chaos !

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's the "All 3" option? Seriously, they all sound like great characters. I can't choose between an old man who hates his life, a crazy guy and CJ's clone.

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I hope Trevor doesn't become too much of a comic relief

unless it's really funny...

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By MistaSparkle
    Ley_Lines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed Franklin's video the best, reminds me of San Andreas.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By colourful_hippie

@herk said:

I hope Trevor doesn't become too much of a comic relief

unless it's really funny...

This is my worry too, he seem's like the most obvious therefore the least interesting of the 3. Hopefully that means he will actually have more depth that what's shown in the trailers.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I really love the gangster stuff with Franklin. I know we've seen it before with CJ but that was also my favorite GTA game to date. Okay...that is a lie Vice City is my favorite but...San Andreas is my second favorite!

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By Castiel

1. Michael. For me he seems like the most nuanced of the trio and Queen is pretty awesome.

2. Trevor. Definitely the funniest of all the trailers and it's really close to be number one.

3. Franklin. Not bad, but also not that surprising. It was pretty much what I was expecting it to be.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked the Michael trailer.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ley_lines said:

I enjoyed Franklin's video the best, reminds me of San Andreas.

yeah, getting some san andreas nostalgia. trevor looks like the most fun so far.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Michael intrigues me the most, even if he does have the potential to be a Tony Soprano rehash. I'm really looking forward to seeing the interplay between him and his family.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Michael seems the coolest. I suspect Trevor will be the funniest by far, though.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JouselDelka

You can't knock the hussle, son. Gotta keep hussling.

Basically San Andreas was my favorite out of the bunch.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19 chaser324  Moderator

For the time being, I've got Franklin at the top of my list followed closely by Michael. I can see both of those characters having pretty solid story arcs associated with them throughout GTA V.

Trevor on the other hand, while I'm sure he'll bring a lot of crazy and keep things entertaining, I don't see anywhere for that character to really go. I'm sure the Houser brothers will manage to do something interesting with him, but it just isn't clear what exactly it's going to be.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Michael, by far. It's the one that gives Rockstar more to work with with, creatively speaking, and is also the one that is further away from past GTA characters.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm tired of reluctant heroes. So I'll go with the crazy redneck.

brianmcdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure Trevor is going to do some crazy stuff throughout his story arc but I think Michael is my favourite so far.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's more impressive that none of them seem uninteresting.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Semi-suicidal, full-blown psychopath Trevor for me. I like to play my GTA games *RPG-style*, and Trevor seems like the guy to be, if one roleplays in a GTA game.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 Franklin - I feel he will be the most down to earth guy out of the three, being in a tough spot while trying to do better.

2 Micheal - Micheal is cool and i think his story will be the center piece but i kinda feel like you know his deal already rich guy with rich problems.

3 Trevor - Trevor seems alright in that crazy you don't know what he will do next and ultimately screw up the other two hard work with his craziness. but

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Michael just does NOT sound like a man in his 40s to me, so the jury's still out on him for me. All his cutscenes look really interesting to me, though, since none of them appear to be OBVIOUS mission-starters.

I got to go with Franklin, because Trevor seems like your basic video game crazy, but Franklin had the best edits and the best friends (I loved hearing "sni-i-ITCH", it's been a while).

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mrsignerman44

I'm definitely most excited to play Michael's story. But then again, all of them look really awesome.

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ThomasG666

Trevor! He looks batshit insane!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MrKlorox

Trevor because he's the first character since Tommy Vercetti that feels like he should be a GTA protagonist. But I'll still enjoy role-playing the other two when I'm not causing mayhem and slaughtering innocent pedestrians.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting a Breaking Bad vibe here, so I'll go with Franklin.

Michael is obviously Walter White. Guy who probably got into crime to set his family up for the good life, but then became addicted to the power and thrills of crime and went back to it after he got bored of being rich. Franklin is his Jesse Pinkman I'm assuming from Michael's line in the previous trailer saying that Franklin is like "the son I never had." At some point Franklin's going to realize that killing people in large elaborate heists is no different than the gang life he was trying to escape and there's going to be tension between them. If it follows the Walt/Jesse relationship, Michael's gonna be a huge asshole later down the line and Franklin's going to end up being the thug with the heart of gold who tries to bring Michael back down to earth.

Trevor's the only one I don't really care about because he doesn't care and he has no real stake in the story, at least just based on everything we know thus far. He doesn't really have any motivation except for the excitement of the action. That type of character can certainly work and he's most likely there to offset the seriousness of the other two, but from his character vignette, I'm not really interested in his part of the story.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xyzygy

Trevor looks hilarious. Can't wait to play as him. They all look great though.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rebel_Scum

I prefer Michael's story but Trevor reminds me of Murdoch from the A-Team and is probably the most interesting character because of that link I have in my mind about him. Franklin as a character and his story will probably surprised me more since I don't have as high expectations as I do for the others.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@castiel said:

1. Michael. For me he seems like the most nuanced of the trio and Queen is pretty awesome.

2. Trevor. Definitely the funniest of all the trailers and it's really close to be number one.

3. Franklin. Not bad, but also not that surprising. It was pretty much what I was expecting it to be.

This sums up my thoughts pretty well. I voted Michael anywhoo, as that sort of professional career criminal--with all of his Tony Soprano similarities including the family and stuff--sounds really appealing to me.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope that when you swap to play as Trevor that he's always up to no good, preferably in the process of beating up old people.

ZetaRidge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ZetaRidge

They're all great but I'll have to go with Franklin since his trailer of this game reminds me the good old days of gang bangin' in San Andreas. Plus I think the trailer had the best music of all. However, I am interested in Michael and how things will go during the story. As for Trevor though......He's nuts....and I kinda like him. Humorous whilst absolutely insane. I definitely can't wait for this game. :)

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jimmyfenix

@scroll said:

I hope that when you swap to play as Trevor that he's always up to no good, preferably in the process of beating up old people.

when game informer played the demo in november they said when rockstar switched to trevor he was sitting on a toilet having constipation issues :D

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scroll said:

when game informer played the demo in november they said when rockstar switched to trevor he was sitting on a toilet having constipation issues :D

So wait... the main characters when you aren't controlling them continue to do "stuff" in the world?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix said:

@scroll said:

So wait... the main characters when you aren't controlling them continue to do "stuff" in the world?

yes. apparently they said when rockstar switched back to franklin he was in a strip club. i think its going to get weird if you take franklin to the hill billy town or if you take trevor to south los santos

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix: Well fuck me. I hadn't heard that before. Thats pretty nuts.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Michael trailer was fucking awesome so he's my favourite for now, even though he is the most typical GTA protagonist of the three.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By WalkerTR77

Easily Michael. I hope his portion of the game heavily features dad music. Fucking Phil Collins, Huey Lewis, Robert Palmer, Queen, Genesis all of it.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By scroll

@scroll said:

That sounds wonderful.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

They all seem pretty great, I sure the scenes involving all of them will be amazing.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Franklin had the best trailer, so I voted for him, but the whole, "Guy who wants to stop committing crimes but keeps committing crimes" seems a lot like Nico Bellic's improbably story, so I hope it's not just a black rehash of that.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@veektarius said:

Franklin had the best trailer, so I voted for him, but the whole, "Guy who wants to stop committing crimes but keeps committing crimes" seems a lot like Nico Bellic's improbably story, so I hope it's not just a black rehash of that.

Not improbable at all, he got pulled back into crime though helping his cousin, just needed a taste like a drug addict. Plus alot of the missions he was doing was just for information about the man that betrayed him.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Franklin cause he reminds me of Stringer Bell from the Wire.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#47 chaser324  Moderator

@bourbon_warrior said:

@veektarius said:

Not improbable at all, he got pulled back into crime though helping his cousin, just needed a taste like a drug addict. Plus alot of the missions he was doing was just for information about the man that betrayed him.

I'm not so sure. Franklin seems to want to get out of the hood and stop messing around with small time drug dealing and gang beefs, but it doesn't seem like he's necessarily interested in getting out of crime altogether. His motivation for teaming up with Michael seems like it's just to do crime on a bigger, better, and classier level.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I want to say Franklin because of my love for San Andreas but Michael seems like a much more interesting character.

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Hawkerace

Michael reminds me of Vercetti.

Vote.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50  Edited By Sooperspy

I gotta say Franklin cause his story really reminds me of San Andreas and I love me some San Andreas.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.