Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Sudden terrible performance on PC

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

So I have an issue that boggles my mind. I recently had to reinstall windows 10 on my desktop and after doing so this game is completely unplayable. The fps is really bad and it is constantly stuttering. Before it was locked in at 60fps. I have already verified the file integrity, reinstalled the game, and even dropped all the settings to as a low as they can go. I have also played other games like fallout 4 to see if this issue runs across all games but it's totally fine. I only suddenly have this issue with gta 5. Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be? I'm completely lost with this one and don't know what else to try.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@xanadu: Are you using a controller?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xanadu
    brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By brandondryrock

@xanadu: Disconnect it, and then try it. I was having the same issue, and that was the easy solution I could find. I didn't look into it far enough to see how to actually fix the problem so you can use the controller and not have performance issues.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Do you have a custom soundtrack? I found mine caused stuttering issues, potentially related to it "Automatically scanning for new music." Try disabling that option in the audio menu or deleting the soundtrack, helped my stutters a little.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: Wow. I read that and thought no way that is the issue but it totally was. Thank you so much, it runs totally fine now. Also, I was able to get it to run smoothly while using my Xbox One controller. I actually have an xbox one, 360, and steam controller wireless dongle and I unplugged all of them. After the game started, I reconnected just the Xbone dongle and no issues occurred. Even restarting the game with the dongle still plugged in caused no issues. Again, thank you very much!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.