Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

The Grand Theft Auto V Trailer: What Did You Think?

DMack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#601  Edited By DMack

@TrueEnglishGent: Would you settle for "I wanted to walk away and live a clean life, but I got sucked back in?" :P

Tech-wise, I don't expect a leap the size of San Andreas -> GTA4, but remember the significant improvements between GTA3, VC, and SA. I'm buzzin' with anticipation.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#602  Edited By Yanngc33

Are they workin with a new engin?

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#603  Edited By DG991

I don't know what I want from this game...

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#604  Edited By fjordson

Every time, I wonder if Rockstar can outdo everyone yet again. And every time they do. Every fucking time. The amount of details packed into such a short view of the game is stunning. I can't even begin to fathom how well realized the world is going to be. Hype already through the roof.

The king is back.

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#605  Edited By Ujio

Hi-jackable planes, please. They teased us in IV with that airport and the jumbo jets, now they need to deliver or no sale =P

MrQuizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#606  Edited By MrQuizmo

Just let me drive a taxi in this one. That's all I want.

Also, if this is more GTA IV, sign me up. I played that game, and it's DLC, to completion more than anything else I own. Something about Rockstar's worlds and characters get to me in ways few other games can.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#607  Edited By Tennmuerti

one word: Underwhelming.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#608  Edited By DougCL

i think the money font could mean that he is an ex-bank robber. they even show some heist action in that trailer. also, heat took place in LA right? if that is the case i think it would be a good direction for the series to go. in all the previous GTA games, the main character has been a fairly generic underworld bruiser as far as skill-sets go. it would be pretty rad to be able to play as a professional, someone who has honed their craft and is known as a criminal of some distinction.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#609  Edited By Cold_Wolven

All I can say is...PLANES!!!

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#610  Edited By TorMasturba

@loopy_101 said:

It's GTA IV with a San Andreas skin. Not impressed.

If you look at everything like this then GTA: San Andreas and Vice city were slightly better looking GTA 3's, and to use a different series of games Skyrim is Oblivion with upressed graphics etc, etc...

The games industry has tonnes of sequals, and sequals have similarities to their predeccesors nothing new here.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#611  Edited By tourgen

robbing banks would be fun

Avatar image for geekwhenspoken2
    GeekWhenSpoken2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#612  Edited By GeekWhenSpoken2

I think it looks cool, San Andreas was probably my favorite GTA game, but the one thing that always bothered me about it, was that the game world never felt distinctly like LA. From what we've seen in the trailer I think Rockstar nailed it. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the game and getting to know the protagonist.

supertom11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#613  Edited By supertom11

I was pretty underwhelmed with GTA4 but then Red Dead blew me away. I rolled my eyes a bit at the "bad guy trying to go good but can't" protagonist but fix the gameplay and I'll give it a shot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ca25b1c8f18a
    deactivated-5ca25b1c8f18a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On more thought, I definitely think all 3 cities will be in it, based on countryside shots and stuff, they're probably just holding back on showing that stuff for a bit, and I have to say, the graphics look much better but I'm most happy about the improved color pallet from GTA4, it was always too grimy and grey.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#615  Edited By FilipHolm

My first impression is that the tone and story is a nice mix of the serious, grown up humor and satire of IV with a lot of the great parts from the old games (planes bro, planes...). I'm really excited for this! There is no smarter game franchise than gta imo, and like I say in pretty much every gta related post: IV was my favorite, and this just looks sweet.

EDIT: Wait.... is that Ray Liotta...?

sanchez8797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#616  Edited By sanchez8797

looks like they using a different engine,i like it looks good.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#617  Edited By korwin

I look forward to the fresh batch of news stories about how this game is corrupting the youth.

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#618  Edited By fraser

I'm a huge fan of the non-San Andreas games. GTAs are all about tone for me, and San Andreas was so big and varied that it just kinda unraveled until there was no real cohesive tone that persisted throughout the whole game.

It was one of the reasons I adored GTA4. I'm a bit worried that the same will happen again in 5, and it'll become less striking and memorable because of its vastness. I'm less doubtful than I would be though, just because Red Dead assured us that Rockstar seriously know how to do vast open spaces with character and definition. So here's hoping! It'd be mad to pass any kind of definitive judgement at this stage.

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#619  Edited By blacklab

Visuals are impressive, if in engine.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#620  Edited By Winternet

I want to spend countless hours on side quests about CJ, Grove Street, The Truth and co.

EndrzGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#621  Edited By EndrzGame

While in the past the reveal of a new GTA trailer would have me totally stoked, I must admit I'm just lot feeling it this time around. Guess I'm just tired of the franchise as a whole. What they showed here didn't really sell me on anything. I'll be keeping an eye on any news that comes down the pipe but as of right now I have zero interest in this.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#622  Edited By ZmillA

The next gameinformer cover story will be GTAV FACT. They have gotten first reveal since GTA3

Dalfiuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#623  Edited By Dalfiuss

Shit looks boring. The gameplay has become stale, and there is no excitement in spending time in the cities. I was really hoping Rockstar would do something drastically different. I'm afraid this game is not going to have anywhere near the impact that GTA4 did.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#624  Edited By CatsAkimbo

I'm Pretty tired of California settings. I realize that most of the game developers are located there so there seems to be some extra love for the place, but there's a whole world out there. I've only been to LA once, but I feel like I know it intimately from all the games set there.

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#625  Edited By fentonalpha

I remain unimpressed.... not so much that i don't think it will be good.... it sure looks pretty but Skyrim looks better and that's the problem. GTA has pushed many other games to stand out above GTA that i wonder if GTA can rise above the things it has created. Will this new San Andreas be bigger than Panau Islands? Will the cities look better than BF3? Will there fun factor be as high as Saints Row 3 (though we don't know if SR3 is fun yet)?

Basically can this game take the crown again, nothing I've seen in that trailers says so yet.

(And no i don't think Skyrim is influenced by GTA it was just a graphical comparison of wilderness)

Avatar image for aguynamedjustin
    aGuyNamedJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#626  Edited By aGuyNamedJustin

Sooooo.... that sure does sound like Ray Liotta doing the voiceover, eh? Tommy Vercetti moves to the best coast to 'retire'?

Heath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#627  Edited By Heath

Rockstar bitches out.. worst selection ever.... they are literaly going to have to have transformers level distruction to la if they think this was a good choice.. and even then its corny . They should have picked Monticarlo or some where in italy or a generic unamed EURO" city... this is like... such a weak choice...........

GTA4 was fine beacuse it was first time on a new engine. .... it can copy the classic GTA3 .... buttttt to then copy one of the spawns of GTA3 SA is just weak... rockstar honestly.. just push this baby out... i dont even want you to make it good.. make it bland make it mainstream make it deal with issues we cared about a year ago with soiljaboy .. think you are up to date... then hurry up and start working on a europian revolution game... if you dont make a game about revolution in the next 1-2 years you have failed as artists.. what happend to the rockstar i new? after Lost and the Dammed you have been releasing and Hyping up shit.... honstly

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. there is nothing bad ass and curent and political about LA other than them trying to reduce peoples TV sizes to less than 40inch... GEJUS CRIST.

Just stop working on all missions and stuff in the city.. make suberbia like crazie and set most of the game there.. RUN AWAY FROM THIS FKING CITY ROCKSTAR.... this is so 2000's faaaaaaaaaaaaak be CURENT AGAIN ROCKSTAR GET SOME YOUNGBLOD.. not old english men and cashed up yanks who think "RAP and SA" are still the cutting issues.. look into Witch House and Grimes and HOrrorcore.. thats what your games should be able..

You disapointing us ... some one in managment prob told them that a italian in LA would sell big due to demographics of SA/Vicecity..

Jesus crist rockstar... go to chirch or some thing get a clue

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#628  Edited By rachelepithet

1) I think that, most likely, this game is running on GTA4 tech, and if you remember last gen, while GTA3 blew everyone away, by the time San Andreas came along it looked like a horrible mess compared to contemporary PS2 & Xbox games, I'd expect GTA5 to feel the same way. All those pop-ins, glitches, hiccups, framerate chugs look especially bad now that 60FPS Modern Warfare is the norm.

2) Seeing as they had two expansions for GTA4, I'd expect those two locations (San Fran/Vegas) from San Andreas to show up in DLC form.

3) Does this mean San Andreas stories comes to Vita/3DS in 2012?

4) Vice City was the most completely great GTA game, but I wouldn't want to play a new game in VC based on GTA4 technology. GTA6/VC2 would be a next gen title, and a helluva way to care about buying one of those future systems.

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#629  Edited By DrBendo

Meh. GTA has declined since Vice City. San Andreas was decent, but didn't really do it for me; GTA 4 was pretty boring. They keep trying to do things "bigger", but nothing gets much better. Having a rich, detailed world is only worth it if it's fun to play with; going from point A to point B to watch ham-fisted cut-scenes between playing chauffeur was far from riveting.

If Rockstar is going to keep revisiting locations people have already played, I think they'd be better off doing London in the '60s or '70s. The location and time period would help the game stand out and ease the stale gameplay and tone that the franchise has been stuck in recently. More amateurish attempts at satirizing modern American cities isn't the best selling point. Rockstar is usually pretty decent at capturing eras in style, and I don't see why they stopped taking advantage of this for GTA.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#630  Edited By Subjugation

@Heath: That was perhaps one of the most painful things I've ever tried to read on the internet.

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#631  Edited By BitterAlmond

Hopefully the PC port will get some TLC this time 'round. EFLC was an especially jumpy port.

Chindie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#632  Edited By Chindie

Hasn't blown my socks off if I'm honest.

I love GTA and I loved San Andreas but this... it appears to just be GTA4 again, with a slight tart up and hints at a wider setting. That doesn't get me hyped.

I'm sure it'll be a great game and I'll be first in line to play it... but it just doesn't get my heart racing. Hopefully they've learnt to trim back some of the tedium introduced with GTA4.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#633  Edited By ThePickle

Something seemed really cheesy about the writing. Like a parody or something, and not the right kind of parody. Hopefully it'll be more focused than San Andreas.

WholeFunShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#634  Edited By WholeFunShow

Prediction: as alluded to by Alex, I don't think the VoiceOver guy will be the only protagonist, the Little Jacob/Packie(Paddie?) or GTA4 episodes protagonists will have moar fleshed out stories which move in and out of each other and will always be online to link up w the appropriate char for missions.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#635  Edited By valrog

Also, what's up with Tommy Vercetti "theories"? He would be like 60 now (not to mention in a different universe), and he was a sociopath. Hard to imagine him as settling down, normal dad kind of guy.

lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#636  Edited By lkpower

@Heath said:

Rockstar bitches out.. worst selection ever.... they are literaly going to have to have transformers level distruction to la if they think this was a good choice.. and even then its corny . They should have picked Monticarlo or some where in italy or a generic unamed EURO" city... this is like... such a weak choice...........

GTA4 was fine beacuse it was first time on a new engine. .... it can copy the classic GTA3 .... buttttt to then copy one of the spawns of GTA3 SA is just weak... rockstar honestly.. just push this baby out... i dont even want you to make it good.. make it bland make it mainstream make it deal with issues we cared about a year ago with soiljaboy .. think you are up to date... then hurry up and start working on a europian revolution game... if you dont make a game about revolution in the next 1-2 years you have failed as artists.. what happend to the rockstar i new? after Lost and the Dammed you have been releasing and Hyping up shit.... honstly

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. there is nothing bad ass and curent and political about LA other than them trying to reduce peoples TV sizes to less than 40inch... GEJUS CRIST.

Just stop working on all missions and stuff in the city.. make suberbia like crazie and set most of the game there.. RUN AWAY FROM THIS FKING CITY ROCKSTAR.... this is so 2000's faaaaaaaaaaaaak be CURENT AGAIN ROCKSTAR GET SOME YOUNGBLOD.. not old english men and cashed up yanks who think "RAP and SA" are still the cutting issues.. look into Witch House and Grimes and HOrrorcore.. thats what your games should be able..

You disapointing us ... some one in managment prob told them that a italian in LA would sell big due to demographics of SA/Vicecity..

Jesus crist rockstar... go to chirch or some thing get a clue

Don't be dramatic! The trailer is less than 90 seconds long and you're judging the game before you even know what it is There have been hints that this game would be in SA since GTAV came out. You could see that Niko had a plane ticket to SA through the social club. I'm not saying this game will be groundbreaking buy it has the potential to be great. SA was and still is an awesome open world city. Just wait... You might be pleasantly surprised.

PS Use spell check or something and don't be such a troll

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#637  Edited By Franstone

Why do the mods for GTA4 look better than GTA5?

I'd like to know that one...

Shouldn't Rockstar just hire the dude that created that?

I've personally never ran the mods myself but I've seen images.

I expected a little more, ahhh maybe next generation...

Edit: Shit, I know the answer to that, silly me...

Because consoles will be the main target for the money grubbing publisher.

You could not do that on this generation of consoles.

: (

blake_brown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#638  Edited By blake_brown

It's GTA so they don't have to win me over, I'm sold.

San Andreas is the one game in the series I didn't play, so this will be even more exciting for me.

udabenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#639  Edited By udabenshen

Love the use of the Small Faces song.

TheKbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#640  Edited By TheKbob

Seems like other sites are all creaming their pants over this, but the Giantbomb community just blankly stares or gives a resound "Damn * (0.5)", if you know what I mean.

Me? I have never really cared about GTA. Vice City looked interesting, but I can never get into the "mindless fun". The only games near that I have really dug were RF:G (Thor's hammer + Physics!) and Just Cause 2 (Surfin' Jets, HELLZ YA!).

I did like RDR and I have LA Noire on the shelf to play, but I am in them for the story. This? Bad guy, gone good,... goes bad? Isn't that just the same thing, again?!

I'll just still be standing around looking puzzled at how people are attracted to these games. And attracted in droves...

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#641  Edited By Blind_Evil

I hate to be short, but I am thoroughly unimpressed.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#642  Edited By ez123

Aww, I wanted Washington DC. GTA 4 is one of my favorite games ever but after that trailer, I have very little interest in this game.

Plus, now that the LA rumor is true, some of the other stuff might be too and none of that sounds any good.

cavemantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#643  Edited By cavemantom

I have a feeling the story is still going to take itself way too seriously for how poorly its told, and for how often they try to hearken back to the jokey bits from the PS2 games (field dusting the migrant workers?).

I also suspect most of the missions will be heavily scripted, offering little room for improvisation and vehicle choice again, unless there's a jetpack hidden somewhere.

Regardless of my doubts, there are planes. I'm in.

Wokisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#644  Edited By Wokisan

I have to admit, it was a bit of a letdown for me. I really liked San Andreas but I was hoping for a brand new setting this time around. That being said I sure I'll be getting it day one.

As a side note why is Joystiq talking about the 'Vinewood' setting for the game...it is as if they don't realize that GTA's LA is Los Santos. Odd.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#645  Edited By UnrealDP

Awesome, looks great! Nothing new or anything, but in all honesty i'd kill for another GTA IV style game, for i couldn't have loved the story more and the gameplay never got old for me, also what's up with all the negative Nancy's in here?

guynamedbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#646  Edited By guynamedbilly

I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping for a new locale, but I know that GTA5 will probably still be fun so I'll probably still play it. The game is a bit unimpressive visually though. It looks like GTA4 with a little more brown and orange.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#647  Edited By PJ

The tonal shift in 4 was really off putting since it wasn't what I've come to expect from GTA. It's not a bad thing really, just that my expectations were set in a different direction. While there still were a lot of similaritys to the old GTAs the tone made me experience them in a different and not so fun way. The game felt downright overbearing at times. I really hope they lighten up the tone a bit in this one and dont take it self super seriously like 4 felt like it did, even though that's not really the case.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#648  Edited By AV_Gamer

Is that an older Tommy? That would be cool if so.

It would also be cool if C.J makes a cameo appearance.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Screw all you pessimists, this trailer made my day. This is exactly what I want.

DBagalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#650  Edited By DBagalot

@ez123 said:

Aww, I wanted Washington DC. GTA 4 is one of my favorite games ever but after that trailer, I have very little interest in this game.

Plus, now that the LA rumor is true, some of the other stuff might be too and none of that sounds any good.

I to with many others wished for a new location such as DC, I would've been more excited. Now i'm just like "Okay cool, another GTA that is coming out on this generation consoles."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.