Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grandia

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Dec 18, 1997

A JRPG that tells the story of the young adventurer named Justin who tries to uncover the reason why the ancient civilization of Angelou disappeared.

Grandia features one of the most disturbing details I've ever seen in a non-horror video game (mild spoilers)

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bigsocrates  Online

I just finished Grandia, an RPG from 1997, for the first time and it's a great game, even if the HD version has a lot of problems and is not the way to play it. It also has a pretty light tone for an RPG of that time, since game companies were focused on making it clear that games could be "edgy" and "adult" so a lot of games dealt (mostly badly) with issues like trauma. Grandia isn't like that. It's like a kid's adventure, where any adversity can be overcome if you just try your hardest, and where most of the human villains end up seeing the light by the end of the game.

That doesn't mean that there aren't characters with traumatic back stories in Grandia, though, and about halfway through the game you meet a character named Rapp, who comes from a village where many of the residents, including his parents, were petrified by some force from an evil tower that got built nearby. The survivors relocated to a new village nearby, but you go with Rapp to destroy the tower and you pass through his old village on the way. There you see a bunch of petrified villagers, who mostly look like normal sprites but grayed out into stone. Rapp's parents are different, though. They look like little eggs.

These are Rapp's parents
    These are Rapp's parents

Rapp explains that he comes to see his parents often and he brings them gifts and polishes them in order to show his devotion, so over time he's worn them down from being like statutes of people to these weird little egg shapes (which doesn't make sense because why would their legs fuse together like that from polishing, and he polished their arms off? but whatever). This shows how much he misses them, which is sad but not remarkable.

What is remarkable is that at some point you figure out a way to de-petrify everyone. There's a big cut scene with swelling music that shows petrified people coming back to life and their loved ones embracing them and being overjoyed. But you never see what happens to Rapp or his parents, presumably because he was such a devoted son that he polished his parents to death. All the other petrified people come back but Rapp's parents are just formless flesh blobs that presumably slump to the ground in a pile of gooey meat. And he's responsible. Because he loved them so much he tried to care for them even after he thought they were gone forever.

This is the kind of stuff that true psychological horror is made of, and it's just a little detail in this game for young teenagers that goes unremarked upon, but I don't think I'll ever forget it. It's really really disturbing.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that’s disturbing. This thread is as advertised.

DrinkMoxie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn that's pretty wild. All we need now is a camera that pans over to Rod Serling telling some parable about how like, "A doting son's love turns to obsession and, eventually, tragedy. These smooth stones, a fitting monument in...the Twilight Zone"

Arcitee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I loved this game back in the day, and would love an HD release on ps4 (with fast forward and all the extra options in FF7 and FF78 HD)

I totally forgot about this part...yeah its messed up.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Damn that's pretty wild. All we need now is a camera that pans over to Rod Serling telling some parable about how like, "A doting son's love turns to obsession and, eventually, tragedy. These smooth stones, a fitting monument in...the Twilight Zone"

You nailed it! Wow, even got the word choice spot-on.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sounds like a villain's backstory in the making.

DrinkMoxie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Holy lord, that is not something 10 year old me picked up on, and was probably better off because that is a horrifying picture you just painted in my mind.

Like all the other PS1 games that opted for sprites as opposed to 3D, I'm sure it holds up, but I don't think I'll ever go back to Grandia. My young self thought it was a grand adventure, and I wouldn't wanna risk tarnishing that memory. You can't go home again and all that.

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Haven’t gone back to Grandia since the early 2000s and like others, it’s the first time I’ve ever properly about this... consider me disturbed.

dsjwetrwete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dsjwetrwete

I've consumed so much media in the past few years that unintentionally concluded that you should never have kids if you want an even remote chance at happiness.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Onemanarmyy

This is the kind of story that you read once and then it sticks with you forever. Junji Ito - Enigma of Amigara Fault does that too.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy:

It’s funny. I had not heard of Enigma of Amigara Fault until a couple weeks ago and now this is the 4th or 5th reference I’ve seen to it since then. I think maybe Vinny mentioned it in a recent Minecraft stream. That story sure does stick with you.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@htr10: I think i stumbled on that like.. 3 years ago? But yeah Vinny brings it up every now and then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.