Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GRID

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Jun 03, 2008

GRID is a franchise "reboot" of the TOCA Race Driver series, originally called Race Driver One. GRID uses an engine modified upon DiRT's Neon engine; called the EGO engine. It takes a more arcade-style approach to the series along with plenty other new features/changes.

This game is underated.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rowr

Seriously underated. Im not sure if it suffered from a lack of hype/exposure leading up to it or what?

For those who dont have the patience or skill to play a more realistic driving game, such as Forza 2 or Gran Turismo , yet like to the play the more arcadey driving games (nfs, burnout) , this game is perfect.

Actually I guess even if you are into those games, my brother is the greatest virtual driver ive ever seen (he's played everything) and he proclaimed this to me the other day after he beat it, as the greatest racing game he has ever played.

The races are generally tight and exciting and I find consist of nearly the perfect challenge, you get a few time rewinds to lessen the frustration of ruining a whole race by stuffing up one corner, yet the game is still challenging (there are like 5 difficulty levels if you still think it is to easy.) . The game is beautifully polished and the style is slick.

I love the tight and exciting feel of the races, the sound is top quality whether its pieces falling off your car or the sudden scream of the crowd when you slam into a wall.

Plus the game calls me by my name. When i drive well, by my abbreviated name. Thats awesome.

If you have any interest in racing games check this out.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Vaxadrin

The best part about this game is that you can pick a name an the people in-game call you that.  I chose the name "Torpedo", and everyone calling me that while I raced around the track was hilarious.  Especially since I put in my full name as Torpedo Cornhole.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rowr

ahahah.

I hadnt thought to abuse the system. I thought it was cool enough that it would call me by my own name.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By danielkempster

I agree, it is very underrated. I think its problem is that it's overshadowed by other racing games. If somebody wants a high-octane racing game with loose handling and spectacular crashes, they'll pick up Burnout Paradise. If somebody wants a racing simulation, they'll opt for Forza 2 or GT5 Prologue. GRID is nestled somewhere between the two, and without a specific market to aim at, I think it's been overlooked.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f9e2f09d481
    deactivated-65f9e2f09d481

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I love  the arcade feel of it. There's a good balance between arcade and simulation on GRID. I love the Nissan Cup with the Skyline. I can master that perfectly without using the brakes much.

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Subway

Dirt was better.

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mikevanpwn
    Subway said:
    "Dirt was better."
    I agree.  But GRID was still awesome and under rated.  And what hurts more is that the portable version only sold 7k its first week.  GRID for the DS is arguably the best racing game on the DS.
    ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By ZimpanX

Personally I avoided it because of the lack of split-screen, a feature I believe every single racer should have. Demo was pretty nice though and the graphics are amazing.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zitosilva

I like it a lot really. I only play it in short sessions, like two races a week. But I do think it's great.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Lemegeton

GRID like all Codemasters games is seriously underrated and undervalued. They make awesome games time and time again. I also have the utmost respect for Codemasters
    as they are one of the few game developers that were around when i started gaming 20 years ago and are still around today and making quality games. when i look back and remember playing Dizzy and look at the likes of GRID its astonishing.
    i cannot wait to see what they produce for a Forumla 1 game as they have the license for F1 games now.

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By calf_exercises

man, everytime some says how good this game is I think about buying it but then I remember how much I hate driving sims, maybe I should rent it. yeah, thats a good idea

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By kush

I have only played the demo, but I actually think it was a bit overrated. I hated the way the controls felt and found all the high review scores to be a bit surprising.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rowr
    calf_exercises said:
    "man, everytime some says how good this game is I think about buying it but then I remember how much I hate driving sims, maybe I should rent it. yeah, thats a good idea"
    Thats why you will like it.

Its the perfect mesh of arcade and sim.
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Vaxadrin

I like how you could rewind your terrible fuck ups (of which I had many).

It's like Braid: Racers!

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rowr

yeh i think we are going to start seeing this mechanic in a lot more games.

its going to become the new-old bullet time.

Its going to be in the new xbla duke nukem game in some respect apparently.

Avatar image for galvanizednails
    GalvanizedNails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GalvanizedNails
    Avatar image for vash_the_stampede
    Vash_The_Stampede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is great, it is really easy to pick up and play and the sense of speed is excellent as well

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Subway

Oh and I'll agree it's under rated, it's a ton of fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.