Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Alright duders, I’m trying to grow a beard and I have some questions.

First off, I’ve had thick sideburns and facial hair beneath the chin and around the neck area since I was 13-15, I’m 17 now, and my mustache and facial hair on the soul patch area and chin are pretty weak, this year I’ve noticed some improvements, but nothing big . So my first question is. Is there a way to increase the density of my beard and increase its growth speed? Secondly my father keeps telling me that shaving makes your beard stronger, but I’ve read that that’s a myth. Thirdly does genetics plays an important role? And finally, to what age does a beard continue to develop?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EuanDewar

This thread aint shit till Claude gets here.

TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@EuanDewar: If all else fails, i guess i could try to shave his beard off while he sleeps and pass it off as mine.
jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I just kept it minimal till I knew it would become a proper beard. The picture I have in my profile is my beard at it's longest, I have trimmed it after that. But I spent at least a year to get it like that, and I didn't start saving for that till I was 20 or something.

I would just trim it and keep it in a state where it looks fine until the time you can really unleash the proper beard within you.

As for your questions... 1. I don't think so. 2. I think that was a myth, yes. It feels like it grows stronger, just because it does that as you age. 3. Probably. 4. No idea.

I bet that helped a lot.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By valrog
http://www.beards.org/

This might prove useful. I haven't succeeded in growing an admirable beard myself, I'm starting to fear that I never will...
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By subject2change

No there is no way to increase hair growth, some people are naturally lucky and others aren't. No shaving more often does not increase speed of growth, that is indeed a myth.

I've had a Beard since I was 19, i've shaved it off once since then. I am turning 25 in a month.

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jumanji

My beard had patchy coverage through my teens and early 20s. It filled in more and more each year. I am now 25 and I can grow a full beard.

HOWEVER

I think beards look like shit on secular white males. I have noticed that strangers and colleagues are generally more gregarious when I'm clean shaven than when I'm bearded. Unless you're doing it for religion or culture or whatever, just fuck it and go clean shaven.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Drink lots of red bull and stop masturbating

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King
@LunarAura said:

Drink lots of red bull and start masturbating

This is the proper advice.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By benpack  Staff
Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Nadafinga

Just don't try to force it, simply emphasize your facial hair's strengths. Me, for example, I have good growth on my chin, but can't really grow much for a moustache or side burns. So I wear a chin goatee only. There's nothing sadder than a guy who tries to grow a splotchy, weak ass beard.

Also, the older you get, the thicker it will probably get. So even if you can't grow certain areas very well right now, in a few years you might see it filling in.

TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Jumanji: BLASPHEMY! 
@LunarAura: I'll try and no.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mikemcn
What I lack in technical advice, I hope I can make up for in inspiration, let this man be your guide.
What I lack in technical advice, I hope I can make up for in inspiration, let this man be your guide.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude

Beards are hit and miss as far as I know. My beard is in flux at this time. I had shaved my chin, but it's filling out now.

But here's my epic beard dance.

make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jay444111
@TheDudeOfGaming: Did you start wanting to get a beard before watching the robin williams OoT trailer, or after?
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Jay444111: Way before.
thesavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thesavage

Question 2: Since I joined the army and have had to shave everyday, I quickly went from being able to get a way with shaving every other day to the point that I almost have to shave twice a day. Weather it's a coincidence or not I don't know. I just know that my facial hair grows at least twice as fast as it used to.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

it's just something that happens with your facial hair. i tried growing, it didn't work when i tried. i say just shave it out, and wait a while.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of it is just genetics and putting up with the itching until your beard is fully grown.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By stantongrouse

Patience is the thing, and lucky genetics. I was facially follicly challenged into my mid twenties, and as no other men in my family can grow much past a series of fuzzy wisps I just thought that would be my fate too. Then, at about 27-28 something, possibly my Irish genes, kicked in and a robust ginger beard just manifested itself. Now, at 40, it's becoming more silver than red but it's weirdly thick for someone who spent their early twenties with dramatic beard envy.

Also, facial hairs grow at quite different speeds. Some good advice given to me was have it trimmed for a few months on a short clipper setting and then notch it up one, keep it like that for a month or so, and repeat. This helps the slower growing hairs fill out, without the ones that seem to race out looking so lonely.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been 8 years, hopefully OP has a Gandalf-style beard by this point.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunflame88: gosh darn, I get caught out by these revitalised threads far to often (I'll blame my phone view version of the site rather than my complete lack of checking). Man, always 8 years late to the party...

Sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24 Sweep  Moderator

Moved to the appropriate forum.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.