Grim Dawn is an action role-playing game released on February 25, 2016. It is developed by Crate Entertainment, who consist of a handful of veterans from Iron Lore entertainment, the makers of Titan Quest. Grim Dawn is being built with an improved version of the Iron Lore engine and toolset used to create Titan Quest. Grim Dawn will endeavour in an ambitious attempt to improve upon loot, character advancement and general exploration that has been set by games such as Diablo and Torchlight. Grim Dawn also features a contrasting environment to the Titan Quest series, as it is set in a post-apocalyptic world featuring newly implemented features such as dynamic weather effects, destructible environments, NPC factions and expansive class combinations.
Players will be thrust into a dark, war-torn world called Cairn where a once proud empire has been brought to ruin and the human race brought to the brink of extinction. Cairn has become ground zero of an eternal war between two otherworldly powers, one who was seeking to use human bodies as a resource, and another that was intent upon destroying the human race before that could happen. This cataclysmic war has not only decimated human civilization but is warping the very fabric of reality and giving life to new horrors.
For the small enclaves of human survivors that exist scattered throughout the world this is the dawn of a grim new age where iron has replaced gold as currency and the importance of salt as a weapon makes it too valuable to waste on food. The humans have quietly watched the warring invaders destroy one another and have been able to learn the strengths and vulnerabilities of the foes. A few survivors have begun to exhibit strange new abilities after surviving possession or exposure to the warp. These unnatural powers are feared by some but give many new hope of launching a resistance to fight the "outsiders" and reclaim what's left of their world.
- Combine any of five distinct skill classes each with multiple skill trees to specialize in. Advance your class mastery up to 75 levels to unlock dozens of powerful skills and synergistic modifiers. New classes to be periodically released through downloadable content.
- Gameplay consisting of 200 levels of character progression, equipment, and enemies to fight for a huge amount of replay value.
- Multiplayer! Specially balanced fights/battles will put your teamwork to the test.
- Collect blueprints that allow you to combine salvaged components into unique crafted items and then use those items with higher-tiered recipes to complete items of unprecedented badassness.
- Players can take advantage of the three-dimensional world by rotating the camera, but levels are designed to where players don't have to rotate the camera if they don't want to.
- Refined loot system. Get less junk items and ensures more consistent rewards from hero and boss monsters.
- Satisfying enemy damage and death effects with an option to enable blood and gore.
- The ability to spend money to reclaim skill and attribute points alleviates the fear and frustration of having to make early, uninformed decisions.
From April 17th until May 18th 2012 Crate Entertainment ran a successful Kickstarter campaign. The initial goal was to raise $280.000 to speed up development time and to improve the quality of the assets. The end result was a total pledge of $537,515, 191% of their initial goal.
The extra money will be used to add new features and content to the game :
- Dual wielding pistols (feature tech and new animation set)
- 25 extra pieces of unique item art
- Additional end-game boss monster (total of 2)
- 25 more pieces of unique item art
- A new environment set
- 2 additional monster types (models and animations)
- Three large, high-level dungeons, each with its own theme and named hero monster. The dungeon entrances will randomly appear in the world.
- Savage two-handed melee weapons (includes animations and all the art required to create an entirely new item type)
- Additional end-game boss (total of 3) to encounter in some dark and dangerous corner of the world.
- New survivor town hidden in the remote wilderness for you to discover. Will include a new faction group and new quest-lines to unlock once you've gained their trust.
- 2 additional monster types (models and animations) and another 25 extra pieces of unique item art
- A new dungeon art-set
- SURVIVAL MODE! In survival mode players will fight to stay alive against increasingly difficult waves of monsters. It will release sometime after the game so as not to delay development.
- A new faction and story-line!