Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grow Home

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 04, 2015

Grow Home is a climbing game starring B.U.D. (a Botanical Utility Droid) who is researching the elusive Star plant & helping it bloom.

Anyone else playing Grow Home?

espgaluda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's pretty great. I get a weird unkillable exe process thing every time i quit the game that forces me to restart the PC before i can play it again, but its totally worth it.

Just unlocked my 6th checkpoint.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Mostly finished it. There's not much to it except finding stuff in the environment but the exploration itself is fun enough to sustain the game. I quite liked it and it is really pretty.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By sirdesmond

I just picked it up after watching @patrickklepek's video of it on his Youtube channel. It's cheap and has a cool style plus nice, relaxing exploration. I'm starting it now!

Edit: Just played this up through the 4th checkpoint and got the first 40 crystals. The physic-y, procedurally generated animation is wonderful and the music and world are pretty stunning overall. Once you get some progress it's really fun to just fly down through all the islands and plants you've explored.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Got sent a code for this today, keen to check it out. I'll probably stream it next week and I'll be sure to share my thoughts here. Glad to see you guys are enjoying it, looks rather interesting.

dietomaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This game is really cool. I've been dying for a good platformer like this for a while. The robots' physics-based movements can be kinda wonky (such as weird momentum making you go flying off ledges sometimes), but climbing that damn plant is actually really gratifying.

espgaluda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By espgaluda

So I was ready to quit for the night. I saw the next checkpoint flashing up above and there was a spare star plant thing to ride, so i did that to get there quicker. Mistakes were made...

http://i.imgur.com/5Ju0XKM.jpg

Totally lost control of the growing vine thing and it freaked out right on top of the check point...

http://i.imgur.com/t0Sa1FX.jpg

The out of control vine got lodged right up against the third fold-down foot thing on the checkpoint and prevented me from pulling it down, thus rendering the checkpoint useless.

Luckily, once I made the long and nervous climb up to the next checkpoint above the waterfall area, the broken checkpoint magically started working again and i can teleport to it now. It just has a huge vine stuck right through the middle of it forever i guess.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems like one of those calming games so I think I'm gonna save it for a particularly stressful day. I got to the first couple of checkpoints. I really like the climbing/grabbing mechanics... they work surprisingly well.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

This is my favourite game of 2015 so far. An absolute treat. BUD is such an adorable, clumsy character. More than that though, the procedural and physics-y nature of the platforming makes for a completely different 3D platforming experience. It isn't about precisely executing on designed challenges, but is much more about playfully engaging with a toybox-like space. It just feels so fresh despite existing in a genre that had been run into the ground a couple generations ago.

EwanSuttie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Normally in a game if you are climbing something tall or are going through a difficult platforming section it is incredibly frustrating to fall off. With this game because the thing you fall off is your own creation it really lessens the disappointment and is quite fun to fly past your creation and add to it on your way back up. Wasn't a big fan of the ending, if found it a little too challenging/stressful compared to the relaxed nature of the rest. I also have no interest in the post credits challenge presented, not what I'm after, seems tedious.

Play this game, its lovely!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

This is my favourite game of 2015 so far. An absolute treat. BUD is such an adorable, clumsy character. More than that though, the procedural and physics-y nature of the platforming makes for a completely different 3D platforming experience. It isn't about precisely executing on designed challenges, but is much more about playfully engaging with a toybox-like space. It just feels so fresh despite existing in a genre that had been run into the ground a couple generations ago.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, although climbing on the ceiling of the indoor areas is unfortunately frustrating because of the camera.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got done playing the game, overall it was pretty great. I liked the rock climbing aspect of the traversal system, and falling and floating was awesome. The relaxed tone and style appreciated.

The only down note was the fact that I missed the tutorial message telling you that you can control the direction of the plant. I wasted about an hour and a half trying to find the right sprout to take me to the islands.

DuncanKeller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to really love really tactile games, where it feels like you can just touch and play with everything in the environment. Absolute pleasure to play, although finding all 100 crystals is going to give me headaches for days. Damn my Vinny syndrome!

Buarpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished it a day or so back, and man oh man what a treat of a game. I even went and got all 100 crystals plus the bonus post credits thing. (If anyone is wondering the prize for doing it is a ninja skin that makes your guy jump twice as high)

If you like traversal in games, do not hesitate to pick it up. Grow Home is currently my GOTY 2015.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9d14856890c
    deactivated-5c9d14856890c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a perfect word Ubisoft is planning on expanding on this blummin' gem of a game. I feel bad for any one playing it with vertigo though

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

This looks cool but I am so intensely in debt right now I'm not going to buy this purely because I think the name is dumb.

Yep, that'll make me feel better.

getsomegoagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing for a few days now. It's great! It's a creative take on platforming. I'm at 99 crystals though and can't find the last one. Any thoughts on unusual locations for them? I certainly don't expect anyone to list all 100 but what are some of the harder to find ones that you have come across?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Definetly my favorite new thing I've played this year. I've gotten everything and restarted a couple of times but unfortunately the magic lessens on subsequent playthroughs.

First time though, awesome! I want more of it, more!

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By onarum

Just finished it and it's fucking fantastic, also everyone should get 100% of the crystals, it's very worth it :)

Man I wish they had made so the levels where procedurally generated, wouldn't mind generating a new world now and then and make the thing grow all over again.

getsomegoagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum said:

Just finished it and it's fucking fantastic, also everyone should get 100% of the crystals, it's very worth it :)

Man I wish they had made so the levels where procedurally generated, wouldn't mind generating a new world now and then and make the thing grow all over again.

I'm sure trying to get all of the crystals but one is proving hard to find.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@getsomegoagain: for me the last one was one that is at the second floating island, the bigger one, there's an area where there are a lot of trees and a bunch of holes in the ground, and it was in the very edge of that area, and man it took me a while to find it, found the ones hidden in caves and all no problem, but for some reason that one which is in plain sight gave me a workout..

A good strategy is to wait till it gets dark then glide using a leaf and look for the faint glow the crystals give, of course this won't help with the ones inside caves, in that bigger island there are 2 distinct caves and there's a crystal in one of em which incidentally was my 99th.

Warihay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

Is there any news of this coming to consoles?

getsomegoagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

onarum: you are awesome! Turns out that's exactly the one I missed. At least I think so. I haven't gone back to look yet as I just now read your post but I do not remember collecting one at that location so I'm sure this is it. I'll pounce on that tonight. Thank you so much!

Warihay: I haven't heard of a console version coming but I would not rule it out. For one thing this game would be absolutely perfect on consoles in my opinion (not that it isn't perfect on PC, it IS!). For another, if you look at comments on articles and videos (google "grow home" to find these) and search various forums for comments on the game there are loads of people wanting this for console. My daughter doesn't play PC games but she loves her Xbox. If they released it on console I love the game so much I would happily buy this again so that she could play it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's really charming and colorful. A refreshing dose of positivity.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just got done playing and beating it in one sitting. The most wholesome ubisoft game in awhile, in terms of joy of play.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warihay: I haven't heard of a console version coming but I would not rule it out. For one thing this game would be absolutely perfect on consoles in my opinion (not that it isn't perfect on PC, it IS!). For another, if you look at comments on articles and videos (google "grow home" to find these) and search various forums for comments on the game there are loads of people wanting this for console.

I wish this was how it worked. Red Dead for PC would've been out long ago if it was!

getsomegoagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcorb said:
    @getsomegoagain said:

Warihay: I haven't heard of a console version coming but I would not rule it out. For one thing this game would be absolutely perfect on consoles in my opinion (not that it isn't perfect on PC, it IS!). For another, if you look at comments on articles and videos (google "grow home" to find these) and search various forums for comments on the game there are loads of people wanting this for console.

I wish this was how it worked. Red Dead for PC would've been out long ago if it was!

Right? Word my man, word!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.