Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guardians of Middle-earth

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 04, 2012

Guardians of Middle-earth is an action real-time strategy video game based around The Lord of the Rings franchise.

Early character thoughts

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By hansolol

I haven't spent enough time with all of the characters so this is an incomplete list. Here are some early thoughts.

Looking strong:

Mozgog: This guy can stay in the lane all day! His heal is super useful and has a super short cooldown considering its utility. Probably the best roamer/designated ganker in the game with his speed boost and cc. I can't tell you how many times I've had 2 guys on my ass while I was at about 15% health only to pop the heal, turn around and annhilate them both. Also, why does he have an AOE fear that does that much damage? I mean seriously. Come on. Easily my favorite character and most consistent.

Arathorn: Huge damage output, tons of health and he's ranged! All of his abilities are damage based and do big numbers which is insane considering his auto attack is so strong. He pretty much has everything except a heal. If you've got someone to heal you, you're probably going to win your lane. Pick him if you want to get the most kills.

Haldir: Takes more finesse than the above 2 but still really good. His abilities kinda suck but he makes up for it with long range and a stong auto attack. His A button and Y button abililtes are channel abilities and don't do a ton of damage. They're really used more as cc. If you want to do a ton of damage at range, skip Legolas, pick Haldir.

Looking weak:

Gandalf: Maybe the worst character in the game? You can walk right out of his ult while it's going off. Even if you sit in it the whole time it still doesn't do that much damage. I've found the only way to really make his ult any good is to get behind them, fire off the ult then stun them with B button as they try to run and then X button for more damage. This will kill the squishies but you'll need to stay on the warriors and defenders to finish them off. He's supposed to be a tanky mage but he fails at cc and damage, so what is he good at???

Hildifons: Super fun to play! Without a doubt the most annoying character to lane against especially if he has an enchanter or defender partner. The problem is he has no ability to focus anyone down and he can't get out of trouble when caught out of position. His abilities all take too long when he's got an enemy on his tail, so once a warrior or striker is on your ass, and you're not near a tower, you're dead. Occassionally his ult can get him out of a sticky situation if he puts it in front of him as he's running away. Your role is pretty much to annoy your enemies and do an extra little bit of damage and cc while your carries do the bulk of work.

Ori: I still haven't made up my mind completely about him. He seems like he could be ok. I need to play him some more. His problem lies in the fact that his abilities take way too much time to come out and only his ult stuns. Which means while you're doing your A,X,A,B,Y combo, you're getting wailed on the whole time. Really good in team fights but suffers in lane unless he's got a really strong partner. If you're playing against him and he's doing his casting combo bullshit, just lay into him until he's dead. He's super squishy. You should probably just play Agandaur if you want a nukey glass cannon mage.

Sauron: I know, I know, he's got Karthus' ult. He should be super annoying and broken right? Nah, he's not really that scary. He's super slow and his A button is really hard to hit with unless you've stunned them first with X. Looking at his abilities he looks like he'd be a fantastic ganker. His ganks usually go like this: stealth in with B, stun them with X, knock them back with A and then your auto attack is too slow and under-powered that they get back to their tower before they're at a quarter health. And the ult doesn't do that much damage. It's just an annoying fear on the whole enemy team.

Avatar image for carnifexseverian
    carnifexseverian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By carnifexseverian

Eowyn is definitely my best so far. I'm surprised I don't see more of her in matches. On paper her abilities look pretty bland, but pair her with even a mediocre damage dealer and your lane is a pain in the ass to deal with. With her group heal and shield abilities you always seem to win the battle of attrition even though she's constantly being out damaged by the opponent. Then just as they realize things aren't going their way, nail them with your stun and finish them off. With her passive she will actually gain health while being attacked by a group of minions, very hard to kill.

I agree with you on Arathorn. I use him when I just want kills. You can make some awesome combinations when pairing relics with his passive.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

@Hansolol said:

Gandalf: Maybe the worst character in the game? You can walk right out of his ult while it's going off. Even if you sit in it the whole time it still doesn't do that much damage. I've found the only way to really make his ult any good is to get behind them, fire off the ult then stun them with B button as they try to run and then X button for more damage. This will kill the squishies but you'll need to stay on the warriors and defenders to finish them off. He's supposed to be a tanky mage but he fails at cc and damage, so what is he good at???

Oh, is that why Brad accomplished seemingly nothing for most of the Quick Look, except the handful of times he got kills he didn't really earn because he had like 2+ teammates helping him gank somebody? Now I feel slightly bad for giving him shit for it.

Is the ult at least useful for just obliterating even a fairly large clump of creeps or something?

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By hansolol

@BisonHero: Nah, I understood Brad's dilemma of doing a quick look on a MOBA. It'd be hard to play and talk about any game in the genre. Also, he said early on that he didn't play much Gandalf and wasn't familiar with his abilities. That said, I've never seen someone play so scared. It definitely wasn't Gandalf that was making him play like that. I'll be super interested to see a TNT for this game--see how Brad's SC2 skills crossover to a MOBA.

And yeah, Gandalf's ult is a good creep clearing tool.

gsquirrelgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By gsquirrelgo

I started with Hildifrons and he is a beast especially against non-strikers. His only drawback is that he has no good escape mechanism, only reling on his ultimate to get out of trouble. In 1-lane Hild is unstoppable as you can funnel the entire opposing team quite effectively.

Ori is a pushing beast. The combo between his As it Is Written can decimate enemy waves with ease, again not a really good way to flee but his shield is pretty nice in a pinch. seeing as how this is a MOBA and playing dying is for fools, I would recommend that anybody just starting pick either of these guys as thay can hang back and be super effective. Of course evey noob will run for Sauron, Witch-King and Legolas which are all dangerously fragile.

It is sad that this game is not getting it's due, matchmaking is rough but the gameplay is solid and the depth of customization is quite interesting.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Budwyzer

Seems like Runsig and Nori would be a really really tough combo.   I think I remember seening good and bad guys on same teams. 

So throw them in with the two guys that have catapults and it seems like an unstoppable siege engine.   =D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.