Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guardians of Middle-earth

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 04, 2012

Guardians of Middle-earth is an action real-time strategy video game based around The Lord of the Rings franchise.

GOME. Do you think the community will survive long?

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

I am really interested in this game, but I am hesitant to buy it with the season pass thing and also the fact that XBLA games tend to die out quickly when they're multiplayer focused/only. Not to mention that if you want to play a MOBA game you are probably playing DOTA 2 or LoL.

I am thinking that if I want to pick this up I'll have to play it ASAP before the community dwindles down.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Wait! This is a XBLA game? I just became interested.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By impartialgecko

Downloadable multiplayer games on XBLA or PSN never manage to maintain a strong community, I think the only exception is Monday Night Combat.

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By uberexplodey

I'm willing to give this a shot, I loved Monday Night Combat in it's heyday

jazin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By jazin

I think it's ok far no clue what I'm doing but hey it's interesting

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrOldboy

I bought it. Already having a hard time getting in a match. Avg wait time is 1:16 and I'm at two minutes

Got in a game with two assholes on mics, left lobby and now I'm locked out of matchmaking. WTF?

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Yodasdarkside

I haven't seen one fully-populated game since owning this game day two and playing every night since then. The max I've seen is 3v3, with 2 AI slots on each team, and the AI is abysmal. I may have bought a 15 buck clunker. The game is not bad, but as a complete noob to MOBA games, I'm still not super-clear on all of the systems, or even what the best way to play is. Plus, as with all PS3 games, not everyone has a mic, so coordination (which I gather is vital for this genre) is nigh impossible - everyone just does their own thing.

Avatar image for carnifexseverian
    carnifexseverian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By carnifexseverian

@Yodasdarkside: Yeah I've had one match that was 5 vs. 4 with humans. That's as close as I've gotten to a full non AI game.

I also agree with there needing more clarity on how everything works. The tutorial goes over the basics, but I was surprised how many details were buried in the menus. I didn't know until last night that each Guardian has a unique passive ability which is basically the backbone of their playstyle. Also, if you go into the Guardians section of the menu and use the select button, it explains in much greater detail how each ability works. These would have been good things to know from the start...

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail

@MrOldboy said:

I bought it. Already having a hard time getting in a match. Avg wait time is 1:16 and I'm at two minutes

Got in a game with two assholes on mics, left lobby and now I'm locked out of matchmaking. WTF?

I don't play online multiplayer games on console much, but that does sound like the few times I've attempted it.

Except for the BF: Bad Company 2 beta. That was fun.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By MichaelBach

Bought it today, there is a couple of minutes of waiting time but I have gotten in to some games and having a blast.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Couldn't this have been free to play? I think not going that route was a major mistake.

Or at least $10. Considering its already set up for microtransactions. Seems like a major mistake to me.

I will say it is more appealing to me that LoL from what I played of that because they made some smart changes. Doing away with the shop for example is the right move IMO.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mcfart

@ArtisanBreads said:

Couldn't this have been free to play? I think not going that route was a major mistake.

Or at least $10. Considering its already set up for microtransactions. Seems like a major mistake to me.

I will say it is more appealing to me that LoL from what I played of that because they made some smart changes. Doing away with the shop for example is the right move IMO.

Yeah but that also takes away any long-term viability for the game. If all you have is 20 heroes, and you'll likely play them the same way each time bar skill tree differences, then it would get old fast. The items give many ways to play heroes, and introduces the concept of last-shotting creeps, which is part of getting good at MOBA (I never got good)

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Mcfart said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

Yeah but that also takes away any long-term viability for the game. If all you have is 20 heroes, and you'll likely play them the same way each time bar skill tree differences, then it would get old fast. The items give many ways to play heroes, and introduces the concept of last-shotting creeps, which is part of getting good at MOBA (I never got good)

I think it adds another big point of confusion to new comers. And the strategy it adds I think is less important than making it more accessible. There is already a lot going on. They have their own systems going on as well so its not as if it is all subtraction.

Either way, I think it is smart to simplify the MOBA formula for a console audience.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SonicFire

Yeah, the matchmaking in this game is terrible...I like the game but for an online game there's just no connectivity

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I bet that there will some kind of a small cult following for it on the 360 but not a lot of people so if you want to play the game this is probably the time to do it.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrOldboy

@ArtisanBreads said:

Frankly $15 seems like a good deal for the game. I expected it to be a $40 retail game, but was happily surprised when I heard it was XBLA. That's the only reason I even considered it. I'm glad they decided to got this route instead of maybe trying to sell this as a full retail game.

I've gotten into a few games since leveling to 2 so I can join the "real" games. Wait times were 3-5 minutes, now I've gotten into matches in under one.

The game is fun, but the lag in some games has been game breaking. One second I'm attacking, feeling good, then it freezes and I go from 3/4 health to 0 without me having any input. The gem stuff is a hassle to do, even with the auto stuff in there. I didn't even really use it for the first few matches, I just did auto and went with it. But if you go a bit deeper into it there are some huge advantages you can get if you pay attention.

The game has been fun, the lag though is definitely making me regret buying it. It that wasn't an issue I'd really like it.

Anyways, if you want to get into some game with my mediocre play on your team add me. MrOldboy

edit: Since this posting I had one full elite match and two matches that disconnected within the first 5 minutes. When it takes 5 minutes to get into a match the disconnects really stand out.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hippie_genocide

I watched the QL for this. I was surprised that no one was mentioning the wait times to get into games. It was super long. Anyway, I've never played a MOBA before. LoL and Dota2 seem impenetrable to me, so something a little more... "casual" for lack of a better term is appealing to me and I like LotR so this is interesting to me. I need to check out some reviews for it.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MichaelBach

It's a great game, have really been enjoying it so far but the matchmaking seems straight up broken to me sometimes. I hope they come out with a patch soon to fix this.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I thought this was a retail release. The likelihood of my buying this just went way up, might have to check it out. Hopefully the wait times are just server hiccups and not an absent community.

Avatar image for carnifexseverian
    carnifexseverian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By carnifexseverian

The PS3 had a patch today for connectivity & added a new skin to the 3 lane map which is cool. I think the 360 gets it later this week. I didn't notice any real difference though, still had some disconnects. It did seem like I was finding more full games though. Unfortunately no Elite games, which is too bad.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jdh5153

I'm buying it tomorrow... I'm pretty excited to try it out, it'll be nice to play this type of game from the recliner.

gerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By gerp

Yeah the game it self seems great I've played about 30 matches now and have gotten really good with Gollum, as well as the whole relic and gem system. They seem to have a great basis for a game but between disconnects and much loner wait times then the average time says I still don't know how I feel about the game as a whole.

Sylinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sylinder

This game needs to get patched something fierce.

The matchmaking takes way to long. When you do get into a match nine times out of ten it`s either going to be lag stuttering or someone disconnect and the match ends.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By hansolol

How are there dudes with almost 200 wins on the leaderboard in 3 lane battlegrounds? Did they forget to wipe the stats before launching the game or something? There' no way someone's played that many games since Wednesday. The queues are 5 to 15 minutes on average. I had a 30 minute queue going last night before I cancelled it.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Azteck

Honestly, if you have a PC capable of running DotA2 or LoL you should probably play those, if only for the long-time support they will receive. It's hard to know with an XBLA game, most MP-only XBLA games tend to die off pretty fast.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hansolol

@Azteck: It's actually been pretty nice to play a MOBA for a whole week and only receive a single nasty message. That's why I'm playing.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MichaelBach

This game is great when working, but I can't believe how broken the matchmaking is, I hope they patch it soon so it will have a chance to survive.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sirdesmond

Patch is coming on Friday for XBLA apparently to fix matchmaking and it includes a new map skin too.

I am happy with my purchase. This is great fun. I have played both LoL and DOTA 2 (164 hours or something so far) and I don't find this compares to them really and by that I mean they are fun in different ways. This focuses much more on skills and twitch gameplay over the typical MOBA which is much more about your overall knowledge of roles, gears, items, etc. I like that this boils down the gameplay to the core of what makes MOBAs fun to me: the actual gameplay.

That said, I'm sure I'll still play DOTA and what not since I am heavily invested in it, but I'm having more actual fun with GOME right now.

I'm not biting on the season pass until the time comes though and the community is still around.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#29  Edited By Kidavenger

What is gome?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Azteck

@Hansolol: Guess I'm biased 'cause I play 5-man premades pretty much any time I play. I could see that being a nice change of pace.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jdh5153

So in almost every game I've been in so far my entire team quits and I'm stuck playing solo....It's really annoying. I think if you quit you should be banned for 24 hours or something.... it's so stupid.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jdh5153

@Azteck said:

Honestly, if you have a PC capable of running DotA2 or LoL you should probably play those, if only for the long-time support they will receive. It's hard to know with an XBLA game, most MP-only XBLA games tend to die off pretty fast.

Um...Like Minecraft? Trials HD? They totally died.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Azteck

@jdh5153 said:

@Azteck said:

Are you being ironic now? If you are, you are making a pretty weak point if you stack two games against the masses of other games that lost most of their userbase a month after release.

gerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gerp

@Kidavenger: It's an acronym for Guardians of Middle Earth.

gerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gerp

@Azteck said:

I think the player base might dwindle down to a couple hundred or so dedicated players but someone will probably be playing this for a while, that's if they fix the matching of course, and yeah it's really nice not having a bunch of asshole type horrible shit at you while you try to learn how to play the game.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By yinstarrunner

@jdh5153 said:

@Azteck said:

Two key words you seemed to have missed from the post you quoted: the first is "most", the second is "MP-only".

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Gotham City Impostors didn't last long even with free DLC, I doubt this will either

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hansolol

@sirdesmond said:

the typical MOBA which is much more about your overall knowledge of roles, gears, items, etc. I like that this boils down the gameplay to the core of what makes MOBAs fun to me: the actual game

Yeah, totally. Riot is always talking about how player vs AI is "anti-fun." They always say sitting in a lane farming all day is boring. One of the few things GOME has going for it is that straight out of the gate you're in the action fighting other players. Farm doesn't mean as much and neither do kills. You can jump in and play a few games and then be done with it in an hour. It's way more digestable--almost like a cross between standard and dominion.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BisonHero
    @sirdesmond

Patch is coming on Friday for XBLA apparently to fix matchmaking and it includes a new map skin too.

I am happy with my purchase. This is great fun. I have played both LoL and DOTA 2 (164 hours or something so far) and I don't find this compares to them really and by that I mean they are fun in different ways. This focuses much more on skills and twitch gameplay over the typical MOBA which is much more about your overall knowledge of roles, gears, items, etc. I like that this boils down the gameplay to the core of what makes MOBAs fun to me: the actual gameplay.

That said, I'm sure I'll still play DOTA and what not since I am heavily invested in it, but I'm having more actual fun with GOME right now.

I'm not biting on the season pass until the time comes though and the community is still around.

For people who just want skills and twitch gameplay, I also highly recommend Awesomenauts. After playing that and Super Monday Night Combat, I sorta hate how much metagame and gear bullshit you have to memorize in Dota and LoL.
    kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kindgineer

I really hope so, but there is a major difference between console gamers and PC. League of Legends is already easy enough to play on crappy systems for the PC, so the crowd that "needs" to play on a dedicated console will be lower than usual. However, I really do hope that people stick with it; I'm having a blast.

gerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gerp

@SomeDeliCook: yeah, but I think that's more because that there are some many other great first person shooter on the Xbox and you can get that fix somewhere else but with a MOBA like this you don't really have very many other options on the console, so hopefully people will keep playing it long after release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.