Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guardians of Middle-earth

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 04, 2012

Guardians of Middle-earth is an action real-time strategy video game based around The Lord of the Rings franchise.

This is my first MOBA, finding it curiously addictive.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Yodasdarkside

PC MOBAs I don't have the time for, and I fear the community vitriol for newbies, but I am finding GOME very accessible and fun to play. If only it didn't take between 7 and ten minutes to get into a game, I'd be much happier. There's a great variety in playstyles, some awesome ebb and flow and to have the whole thing wrapped up in LOTR clothes is just the icing on the cake.

Avatar image for carnifexseverian
    carnifexseverian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By carnifexseverian

I'm with you. This is my first MOBA too, and find the key is the gameplay. Just fantastic gameplay that values decision making over twitch reactions. Matches are a series of decisions based on game knowledge and discipline.

My only prior knowledge of MOBA's came from limited discussions from the Bombcast, where I usually only heard about the toxic community. This game makes me want to dig into some of the big boy MOBA's once I put together my PC I'm planning on building within the next year. I'm definitely enjoying this in the meantime though.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By John1912

Seems like it would be a great entry point into the genre. LoL and Dota are no joke.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By morningstar

It looks like a lot of fun, don't have time to play it sadly =(

Robot_Moses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Robot_Moses

Try League of Legends. It's a bit less arcane in its' mechanics than DOTA2. It's free and the co-op vs. bots modes give you great exposure to the game without having to worry about people raging. If you like that enough, try stepping up to player vs player in LoL or DOTA2.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By Yodasdarkside

Follow-up - I got so tired of waiting 10-15 minutes to get into a game, I contacted Sony to ask about a refund. When they asked why, I said I thought it was unreasonable to be asked to spend approximately half my playtime waiting in lobbies only to be connected to a game solely populated with A.I. Got the refund two days later - but I can still play the game which seems weird.

Such a shame because I jumped back in last night and I really enjoy the experience - I just feel I shouldn't have to keep a good book on hand for the down-time!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spoonman671

I've played MOBA hybrids before, but this is my first traditional MOBA. I've had a lot of fun with it after having figured out how to play a couple of characters.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zombie2011

I'm interested in MOBA's but don't have the time to really learn everything, I've been playing a ton of Awesomenauts since release and still love it. It's simple and fun, and they still update it with a new character every month.

I might check this out, the QL looked interesting but I wasn't sure if it was simple or complex at the time.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to necro this thread, since I just got PS+ and have been playing this game a bit. I have really enjoyed it. It's totally a MOBA for people who are not willing to do serious research to be safe from flaming.

The player base seems a bit small, but you can still get a game going in a few minutes. The whole one lane thing is totally stupid thought and unfortunately many people seems to be playing that. The lack of any communication system is a bummer. It would be nice to have similar quick call out system as in DOTA2.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just started playing this also, and I'm having quite a bit of fun. Never played a MOBA before but have learned a fair bit through share osmosis. The disconnects are a bit annoying but they aren't too frequent so far.

Not a lot of people playing it on xbox at the moment though, haven't gotten into a match without AI controlled characters yet, it's usually a few AI's for each team.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I've heard a lot of good things about this game, Erik Kain over at Forbes gave it favorable marks. I used to play League of Legends religiously a year and a half ago so I do have some experience with the genre. I'm also an unabated LOTR fan and I'm curious to see how much they butcher the lore (I mean that in a mostly humorous sense) to make this kind of game work story-wise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.