Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Congratulations ArenaNet - Guild Wars 2 Wins GC Best Online Game

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Guild Wars 2 has won the official 'Best of Show' award at GamesCom in the category of Online Games...

I come away very impressed. Having watched a lot of videos and reading up on the game's mechanics and trappings, Guild Wars 2 looks like it might take the established WoW gameplay mechanics and build upon them like Blizzard did with WoW upon the mechanics of Everquest. The next big step in MMORPG gameplay. It seems like everybody is as impressed as I am and the GamesCom officials gave ArenaNet the nod and the crowned them 'best online game' of GamesCom 2010.

Watch the video. It's has official ArenaNet narrative. It speaks for itself. Enjoy.
    Freqtal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Freqtal

I've not read a whole lot about the game (perhaps I should), and this is the first gameplay footage I've seen, and sure, it looks like GW, but it also looks like every other RPG, and I can't help seeing the WoW-influence. Maybe this isn't representative for how the combat will be, but this looks like WoW's go-around-hitting-stationary-mobs-alone, rather than how GW was, where the mobs usually were in packs and moved around (of course at set paths and spawn points, but still). Not especially psyched about the idea that everything is supposed to be soloable, instead of having to have a team, even if they were henchmen (which is one thing I liked about the PvE in the first one). Maybe I'm just too nostalgic when it comes to GW :P

And on a less relevant note, looks like they're going for the big numbers and critz this time, huh? Oh well, guess it's not a big deal, just wondering how it will effect the PvP and how it will be different from the first one. Has there been any gameplay info on the PvP yet? Loved the first game and still thinks it has the best PvP of any (RPG)-game I've played.

Still looking forward to this though, looks pretty good.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Seppli
    @Holta said:

" I've not read a whole lot about the game (perhaps I should), and this is the first gameplay footage I've seen, and sure, it looks like GW, but it also looks like every other RPG, and I can't help seeing the WoW-influence. Maybe this isn't representative for how the combat will be, but this looks like WoW's go-around-hitting-stationary-mobs-alone, rather than how GW was, where the mobs usually were in packs and moved around (of course at set paths and spawn points, but still). Not especially psyched about the idea that everything is supposed to be soloable, instead of having to have a team, even if they were henchmen (which is one thing I liked about the PvE in the first one). Maybe I'm just too nostalgic when it comes to GW :P And on a less relevant note, looks like they're going for the big numbers and critz this time, huh? Oh well, guess it's not a big deal, just wondering how it will effect the PvP and how it will be different from the first one. Has there been any gameplay info on the PvP yet? Loved the first game and still thinks it has the best PvP of any (RPG)-game I've played.  Still looking forward to this though, looks pretty good. "

I guess GW 2 will keep the high quality worldwide (as in planet earth) PvP going. The big difference to the first game is the gameworld itself, which isn't heavily instanced, but rather persistent akin to WoW. Most quests will be in the form of dynamic multistage events, instead of regular quest. Somewhat like Warhammer's public quest, only evolved to be bigger with more persistent effects on the gameworld and more rewarding to every player. Also, there will be a bigger emphasis on class/weapon combatinations, which can be hotswapped on the fly, switching up your offensive skills. They tout that they got rid of the classic healbot class. Everybody can revive fallen friendlies (even NPCs) and everybody got a self-heal, which should make all encounters way more dynamic. There's even a 'down-but-not-out' mechanic, where the player still got some skills at his disposal. On top of that your character will have an own origin story, much like in Dragon Age : Origins, only it will span the entire game. Depending on how you act, the NPCs will react differently to you. All of which will be fully voiced.

All of these mechanics are being played by the public at GamesCom and are accounted for - most everybody walked away from the demo deeply impressed.
    LlamaLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By LlamaLlama
    @Holta said:
    "I've not read a whole lot about the game (perhaps I should), and this is the first gameplay footage I've seen, and sure, it looks like GW, but it also looks like every other RPG, and I can't help seeing the WoW-influence. Maybe this isn't representative for how the combat will be, but this looks like WoW's go-around-hitting-stationary-mobs-alone, rather than how GW was, where the mobs usually were in packs and moved around (of course at set paths and spawn points, but still). Not especially psyched about the idea that everything is supposed to be soloable, instead of having to have a team, even if they were henchmen (which is one thing I liked about the PvE in the first one). Maybe I'm just too nostalgic when it comes to GW :P And on a less relevant note, looks like they're going for the big numbers and critz this time, huh? Oh well, guess it's not a big deal, just wondering how it will effect the PvP and how it will be different from the first one. Has there been any gameplay info on the PvP yet? Loved the first game and still thinks it has the best PvP of any (RPG)-game I've played.  Still looking forward to this though, looks pretty good. "

Check out the Gametrailer walkthrough. Lots of moving mobs and players. As for henchmen, they're doing a balance of solo and team from what I hear. Ever since GW2 was announced, they have stated that you could play with or without sidekicks, a new type of hero. Playing without a sidekick would just give you some bonus in abilities that would be your aid rather than having a buddy. Don't know if the sidekick is still around, but perhaps they just weren't showing them this time around.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Geno

As much as I look forward to Guild Wars 2, I still can't help but think that it will end up like GW1; abandoned. While many other MMOs get substantial gameplay and content updates years into their lives, GW1's updates pretty much ended after only 2 years (where the last expansion was released). Currently in its 5th year, the only updates to be seen are skill balance updates every 4 months or so. Though the first game sold something like 10 million copies, I doubt that there are more than 10,000-20,000 active players currently. The "pay once" model is enticing to new players, but I don't think it's a good strategy for the long term. MMOs are expensive to maintain and develop, and a one-time cash influx doesn't really seem wise. GW2 seeks to rival WoW (again), but will be attempting to do so on a fraction of the budget that WoW gets. Will we be seeing a repeat? After the devs start running out of money they'll start working on GW3 and all but abandon GW2? Not a comfortable thought. I would gladly pay a monthly fee for this game since it looks so promising. I wish Anet knew what an "unsustainable business model" was so they could avoid making another big mistake. I would like GW2 to be a true WoW competitor, not just a flash in a pan. 

Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Althox

I doubt they'll make a whole new game if they ever wanted to expand GW2. They'd just make another expansion. And they wouldn't make a "pay once" thing if they couldn't, but they can, so that's a really good thing and it will bring more players, which means more money, and more money means more content. So in my opinion there are no bad things about their idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.