Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Free GW2 Trial Weekend: April 19-21

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

If you or a friend have been looking to try Guild Wars 2, are still unsure about buying the game (you should), or just want to kill some time, ArenaNet is partnering with sites to hand out thousands of codes for a trial taking place over the April 19th weekend. Note that different sites are doing give-aways at different times.

Here's a list of places you can get them:

EDIT: Updated the participants. Evidently, GameSpot, Twitch.TV, and PC Gamer will also have keys at some point.

Also, if you participated in the last free weekend (the one in November), that account will be registered for this weekend as well.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MMORPG are giving them out as well: http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/437/Guild-Wars-2-Weekend-Free-Trial-Key-Giveaway.html

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm thinking about buying this. Does ArenaNet usually accompany discounts with these free trial events?

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@toastman: Usually not, because they don't charge a sub they normally don't have the game on sale that often. Your best bet would be amazon or somewhere else to find a sale price.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Thanks for the heads up man I've been waiting to give this a shot.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why bother. Seriously.

The early game of this might convince a lot of people to buy it, and it is really sad how everyone can't be warned. Watch videos; talk with players who have invested more than a weekend and use that to judge the game and not by this sneak peek.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: I hear Defiance is pretty good. Buy a couple of copies of that.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: I hear Defiance is pretty good. Buy a couple of copies of that.

are... are you Defiance? :\

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Funkydupe

@ripelivejam: :( You shouldn't buy Defiance. I'm terrible at this good cop / bad cop / ambivalent cop routine...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ripelivejam
    packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@funkydupe: You sound mad bro, which means you didn't actually participate in ANY of the MMO aspect of this game. If you're a loner, yes this game is terrible. If you join the community, play with others, you can have a great time. This game really started becoming awesome once I linked up with an awesome guild on Yaks Bend *cough* Lincoln Force *cough*

BUT we actually enjoy having a good time, so maybe that's not for you.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@packfan104l4: Nah I'm not mad t'all. Playing any game with friends can make the experience better on that we can agree.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By penguindust

I want to pick up a copy someday but I don't want to pay more than $40 for it. I'm cheap. Typically, I don't spend more than that on any game.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to pick up a copy someday but I don't want to pay more than $40 for it. I'm cheap. Typically, I don't spend more than that on any game.

Good man.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Does anyone know how well this runs on the new Macbook pros?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@somberowl: I have a Yoga, which has the exact same specs as the new Airs. And it works like a beautiful charm. Have the game set on medium. I would assume the Pros have more power and it'll probably run a little better.

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ThomasG666

Nice, I'll check it out! I was playing the 1st one back in the day, sadly not much time left for an MMO these days.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if my laptop can run it at a decent FPS on med setting.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It goes on sale pretty frequently at different outlets (Amazon, Green Man Gaming, etc.). I've actually seen it as low as $35 several times, so just keep your eyes open.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fattony12000

@packfan104l4 said:

You sound mad bro, which means you didn't actually participate in ANY of the MMO aspect of this game. If you're a loner, yes this game is terrible. If you join the community, play with others, you can have a great time. This game really started becoming awesome once I linked up with an awesome guild on Yaks Bend *cough* Lincoln Force *cough*

Well, over the past seven months (although I've not played in two or three) I managed to put in 99 hours and 23 minutes into the game, pretty much all solo. That is, not being in a party or anything, just rolling with whosoever is around me. And I've been a fully signed up member to Lincoln Force since day.

lonersforlifedotcom

packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@packfan104l4 said:

You sound mad bro, which means you didn't actually participate in ANY of the MMO aspect of this game. If you're a loner, yes this game is terrible. If you join the community, play with others, you can have a great time. This game really started becoming awesome once I linked up with an awesome guild on Yaks Bend *cough* Lincoln Force *cough*

Well, over the past seven months (although I've not played in two or three) I managed to put in 99 hours and 23 minutes into the game, pretty much all solo. That is, not being in a party or anything, just rolling with whosoever is around me. And I've been a fully signed up member to Lincoln Force since day.

lonersforlifedotcom

Wasn't saying it's NOT possible, it's just more likely to be enjoyable in a group I've found. Don't be a lurker, come chill with us sometime! Join the guild events on Saturday, free rares! (if we don't fail)

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By alanm26v5

@toastman said:

I'm thinking about buying this. Does ArenaNet usually accompany discounts with these free trial events?

It must have just gone on sale for $40, but not sure for how long. https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/
    Edit: apparently until the 28th.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By penguindust

@dark_lord_spam: Thanks I will. I check SteamGameSales.com frequently, but so far without much luck.

UPDATE:

@alanm26v5: I saw that this morning before I went to work. I'm buying it later tonight. Like I said in my response above, I was waiting for a better price-point.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000 said:

@packfan104l4 said:

lonersforlifedotcom

Wasn't saying it's NOT possible, it's just more likely to be enjoyable in a group I've found. Don't be a lurker, come chill with us sometime! Join the guild events on Saturday, free rares! (if we don't fail)

#lurksfolife #livelurkordiehard

I know, I know. I'm just super awkward and shy. Although I am thinking of getting all back up into this fine game in a couple of weeks.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@packfan104l4 said:

@fattony12000 said:

@packfan104l4 said:

lonersforlifedotcom

I know, I know. I'm just super awkward and shy. Although I am thinking of getting all back up into this fine game in a couple of weeks.

If and when you do hop back into GW2, give mumble a try. I'm super shy as well and I pretty much live on our guild mumble.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

well this sucks, while all my friends are done exams, here I am preparing for my last and I missed out a chance to play this game with them (since i dont own it).

packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000 said:

@packfan104l4 said:

@fattony12000 said:

@packfan104l4 said:

lonersforlifedotcom

If and when you do hop back into GW2, give mumble a try. I'm super shy as well and I pretty much live on our guild mumble.

Wait, this is news to me!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.