Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

GW2 Combat Mod

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UssjTrunks

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

With the press of a button turn Guild Wars 2 into a true action experience. It displays a centered crosshair (23 available in 1.0, with adjustable positions) and moving the mouse now turns your character and camera. When ever you cast a spell or action it will temporarily lock on and perform on whatever is underneath the crosshair. Left Click auto attacks, Right Click dodges & Mouse Scroll can be assigned to whatever you want. (all can be changed) Your movement and targeting will be as intuitive, fluid and accurate as an FPS Bringing up panels such as Inventory, Map, Hero, etc will toggle you out of combat mode and give you your cursor back.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10amev/combat_mode_10_released_arenanet_repond/

Arenanet's stance on mod use (up to interpretation): http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10a0qk/official_response_clarifying_the_stance_on_mods/

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

omigawd i need to try this.

thanks duder!

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Giantstalker

... if there's a controller version of this, I think I might actually try it out.

Partially because it's crazy, partially because it would be awesome.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Giantstalker said:

... if there's a controller version of this, I think I might actually try it out.

Partially because it's crazy, partially because it would be awesome.

According to the dev it works great with gamepads.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Giantstalker

@UssjTrunks: It's a deal, sir, and downloading as we speak. You tried it yet? With or without controller?

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Giantstalker said:

@UssjTrunks: It's a deal, sir, and downloading as we speak. You tried it yet? With or without controller?

I've tried it with the mouse. Works as advertised, although I'm still playing around with keybinds (haven't tried it in combat yet, just against test dummies).

Since you have to play it in windowed format, make sure your desktop resolution isn't higher than your normal game resolution or performance will take a hit.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Just a quick mention here; Arena-Net does NOT, in any form, okay the use of THIS mod, they okay mods as a whole that will not grant certain players an advantage; which I personally believe that this mod will; especially in conjecture with siege weaponry; but honestly just with ranged-weapons all around.

Don't get me wrong, I think that it's a really cool idea; but I don't support this being introduced to the game as that'll fuck up what is, in my opinion, the best launch-balance I've ever seen between classes. Ranged classes already have an advantage; and now add onto that the extra mobility that comes from joining attack and move key-inputs? No. Sorry; and I'm afraid that Arena-Net will be of the same opinion as I, so you fellas might want to hold off on downloading that. And you definitely want to avoid doing Tournament PvP with it.

And just a call-out for the creator of this mod. TPS-inspired? BOOO! Give me RTS/Isometric-controls!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

So it's a mod that makes the game Tera?

If I wanted to play Tera, I'd go play Tera. If you're into this, though, more power to ya.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Do_The_Manta_Ray said:

Just a quick mention here; Arena-Net does not, in any form, okay the use of THIS mod, they okay mods as a whole that will not grant certain players an advantage; which I personally believe that this mod will; especially in conjecture with siege weaponry; but honestly just with ranged-weapons all around.

Don't get me wrong, I think that it's a really cool idea; but I don't support this being introduced to the game as that'll fuck up what is, in my opinion, the best launch-balance I've ever seen between classes. Ranged classes already have an advantage; and now add onto that the extra mobility that comes from joining attack and move key-inputs? No. Sorry; and I'm afraid that Arena-Net will be of the same opinion as I, so you fellas might want to hold off on downloading that. And you definitely want to avoid doing Tournament PvP with it.

And just a call-out for the creator of this mod. FPS-inspired? BOOO! Give me RTS/Isometric-controls!

It doesn't give any more of an advantage than hardware mods like MMO mice and keyboads (which are allowed). It also helps people with disabilities.

It's an overlay mod (allowed), and it changes the gameplay by removing the need to hold right-click to camera pan (much like MMO mouse/keyboard software allows you to have macros). That doesn't seem like any significant advantage to me, but I'm sure we'll get an official response from Anet soon.

I'll edit the OP in the meantime with a "use at your own risk" disclaimer, as the chance for a ban is there.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By shinboy630

I'm not sure how Anet would feel about this. Sure, they allow some mods, but like Gaile said mostly things like Texmod that don't effect balance in any way. I'm not sure fully altering the combat system would fall under that umbrella.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UssjTrunks

@jakob187 said:

If I wanted to play Tera, I'd go play Tera. If you're into this, though, more power to ya.

I've never played Tera, but after trying this mod, I have to say that it's a lot more intuitive. This is what the combat system should have been like from the start.

I hope they don't shoot it down.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@UssjTrunks said:

@Do_The_Manta_Ray said:

Just a quick mention here; Arena-Net does not, in any form, okay the use of THIS mod, they okay mods as a whole that will not grant certain players an advantage; which I personally believe that this mod will; especially in conjecture with siege weaponry; but honestly just with ranged-weapons all around.

And just a call-out for the creator of this mod. FPS-inspired? BOOO! Give me RTS/Isometric-controls!

It doesn't give any more of an advantage than hardware mods like MMO mice and keyboads (which are allowed). It also helps people with disabilities.

A lot of solid, valid arguements in that "NO WAY". Look, mate; the mod in question allows you to move and shoot with one input. Change targets and fire off shots whilst changing the direction in which you're running with a single sweep of the mouse + 1 singe click, where as that would otherwise require -mouse to target - click to focus - q/e for strafe with additional mousemovement if you don't wanna' move horizontally - hotkey, 1-2-3, etc for attack.- So, yes, that gives people an unfair advantage; one that removes a series of input-combinations, and this is just in a 1-target scenario; add additional ones and boom, you got yourself an TPS, not an MMO.

And yes, when you have a big-ass cursor in the middle of the screen that you can compare the trial-and-error guesswork of siege-weaponry, that helps determine where your shots land. And yes, the direct mouse-controlled directional movements remove the need to use auto-run in order to simulate the same experience. And yes, let's not even start speaking of what it can do to sniping around rocks, and pieces of the environment.

And sure, there's special keyboards and mouses that allow you certain advantages; but they do not come anywhere close to creating such short-cuts, as they are still bound to the game-mechanics as established at hand. There's no "run and attack and turn" button on the keyboard or on the mouse, and even then, that'd be another input required.

And just what disabilites are we speaking of here? I don't mean to be disrespectful for people with disabilities, but who will be helped by this other than those who cannot co-ordinate each hand to work in unison, as would be required of key-board + mouse, or a gamepad; as in that they'd only need to use the mouse. And if they aren't able to co-ordinate hand movements, motor functions in that function, they would, as per following logical definition not be able to co-ordinate the seperation between game and input mechanics. I don't mean to insult any one-handed people out there; clarifying that. I just don't see the explanation given by the creator of this mod as a viable arguement, and far more like a desperate plea to have his mod OKAY'd for usage inside the game, which it probably won't be as per and due the points I mentioned earlier.

Just to clarify, man; I'm glad you brought this to our attention, it's pretty damn cool. I do however feel the need to express that there is NO confirmation that it's safe as per Arena-net regulations, you COULD get BANNED for using this mod. That's the final line.

Edit: Added the final line, and wrote "who" will be helped instead of "how" will, etc..

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@jakob187 said:

I assumed the problem with Tera's combat control was that the huge amount of rooting it relied on made everything feel stationary. Since this doesn't add that to GW2, I can't imagine it being anything but an improvement.

@UssjTrunks said:

@Do_The_Manta_Ray said:

But I'll edit the OP with an "at your own risk" disclaimer, as the chance for a bad is there I suppose (until Anet gives further clarification).

The two problems I can see ArenaNet having with this based on what they've said is that there's potential for macros (which have been flatly disallowed) and the cross-hair modifies the interface to grant an advantage over the game's native options.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Branwulf

It's been confirmed this counts as a third party program, so don't use it.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jesterroyal

Cheiron says this,

Basically, anything that touches the game client in any fashion, including but not limited to visuals, overlays, controls, inputs, outputs, automation, sounds, or play experience is going to be referred to as a mod. The Guild Wars 2 software package is meant to be delivered and used AS-IS, with zero flexibility for the end user. If your script changes anything about the game itself, how it’s displayed, or how it’s played, then it’s forbidden 3rd-party software.

and mod says this

Hi,

Indeed, as Cheiron said, this programm can be assimilated as a third party one, and therefore is not allowed on our game.

Please note that utilisation of third party software can lead to a definitive suspension of your account.

Now that the answer has been given, I will close this thread.

From the arena net forums. 3 hours ago on this bottom one.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By UssjTrunks

: That's just a standard customer service response. This response from Gaille (a higher level employee), is a little more telling:

This is a very interesting question, and I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

As you are aware, we cannot approve or review or "vet" any third-party program; that is a given. However, our position is somewhat different than the one expressed in the GM response, so I've already contacted the team to be sure that everyone is on the same page.

Our general statement is that anything that gives advantage is forbidden. There are many utilities that help the player without taking a hit on others, without, for instance, being a detriment to the other players in a match. TexMod is one example of a program that doesn't really give anyone an advantage over someone else. I've heard about certain programs that help disabled players, and those seem just fine, too. And of course there are others. We can't say "Sure, use this and that and that other thing" because that's tantamount to "approval," but we do recognize the distinction between advantage-giving programs and those that simply make it easier to play the game under specific circumstances.

Thanks for pointing out that response. We'll get things clarified so that future responses are consistent with our policies.

Again, use this at your own risk. But as far as I can tell, it can't even be detected because all the mod does is hold down right click and apply a UI overlay. The community response has also been huge. It wouldn't look too good on them if they banned people over a feature that the majority of players support. I have a feeling that if anything, this feature will make its way into the game eventually.

I've been using it for a day, and it's terrific. There is no way I'm going back to the standard UI after trying this. With that said, it has a number of disadvantages as well because the mod requires auto-target to be enabled.

It provides two major conveniences:

1. You no longer need to hold right click to camera pan

2. You can bind actions to your mouse even if it isn't an MMO mouse

The crosshair doesn't really do anything. It just denotes the centre of the screen (and centres your cursor there).

These aren't in any way advantages. If you play against someone who doesn't use this mod, you aren't going to beat them just because you are using it. The mod doesn't do anything that the standard UI can't do. It's like comparing an MMO-mouse to standard keybinds. The mouse is more convenient to use than pressing traditional keybinds, but it doesn't provide an advantage, only a convenience.

You are absolutely right though, this is still a third party program. Therefore, you are taking a risk if you use this mod, so tread with caution.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jesterroyal

Yeah, i figure its a "The more you know" situation. Especially since its the GM's that would be doing the banning if it were more than just an AHK script and a circle in the middle of your screen. Right now I agree that its pretty much undetectable if i understand the script right. I'm not too bad on holding down the right mouse so its not too much of an issue for me. Each person needs to take the risk into account and do what they want from there especially since this one doesn't particularly hurt anybody.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By UssjTrunks

Hi guys. Im the Combat Mode dev, Thought I would update you with the email I got earlier.

http://i.imgur.com/VH0Nf.png

"It's not that we don't approve OF mods, it's that we cannot approve the mods themselves through a review and approval process. I can see where your program would be very beneficial, and I wish that I could put a big "approved" stamp on it, after having the source code reviewed and ensuring that everything is properly aligned, of course. However, we're just not able to do that now -- we don't have the staffing to review programs, no matter how helpful or benign they may be.

As you've quoted me saying -- which is fine -- if the program gives no advantage to players, it's highly unlikely that it would result in account termination. If someone has problems playing the game, I assume they could uninstall and leave the game code intact. But if we said "This is ok" and someone found it caused game problems, they'd look to us for support, and we can't support someone else's program. If we said about some third-party program "This is fine" and it contained malware of some kind, players would look to us to help them restore their systems and would be angry at us for having "approved" the program. So, with all respect, we must be a bit "hands off" on the process.

I admire your efforts and the generosity of your time in this project greatly, and wish you well in the future!"

Gaile Gray - Arena Net Support Liason

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By UssjTrunks

If anyone is still using this mod, update 1.1 has been released: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10s4s6/combat_mode_11/

Key feature: You can now toggle "lock auto-target" on and off without holding the button down. This effectively allows you to "click" on targets and stay locked onto them (in prior versions, you had to actually attack your target in order to make a selection, and it was easy to lose target in group fights). Now, you just need to move your reticle over a target, and hit you "lock target" button to select them.

HeyMrDeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HeyMrDeadMan

CM 1.1 is the game experience that should have shipped day 1. Just sayin.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.