Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

GW2 Races

Boondocks24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Boondocks24

I was thinking about new races the GW2 team could probably add to the game, and i just decided to make a forum on it

I'd like to see the developers add Koda's as a playable race in the game, that would be awesome

Lagaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Lagaroth

Obligatory 'Quaggan' post.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jesterroyal

Tengu are next for sure. Then maybe the hipster bears.

Miniexadoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Miniexadoor

how about a race of panda men and a new class focused on unarmed combat

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have a few dumb (amazing) Tengu names in mind, so I hope they release Tengu. Not holding my breath though.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Seppli

@Boondocks24:

If the big bad of the next expansion is Primordus the Destroyer - then it's the Tengu. If the big bad of the next expansion is Jormag - then it's the Koda. Aside that, there's only the Hylek and the Quaggan, neither of which work as a playable race, as far as I'm concerned.

Dunno. Maybe one of the other big bads and a completely new race.

Oh - then there's those wierd underwater Assassin mantis-butterfly-looking dudes... who the 'eff knows what they are about.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I'd play a Kodan.

eternalrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By eternalrift

@Seppli: You mean the Largos. There's a good case for them being playable when the deep sea dragon shows up.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'm not sure about the kodan, they were initially just random artwork by one of the artists. The developers liked the design enough that they made up some lore and through them into the game. I guess it's not impossible, but there isn't a whole lot of variety you can get from customising polar bears, they're a bit too similar to the charr and even worse, would probably draw some very close comparisons to another MMO that recently introduced a panda race.

The tengu are pretty much a sure fire thing though. They're teased numerous times through-out the game and just before release in the new content they added for GW1. They have their own city just outside of Lions Arch that we currently can't get into, they have four factions just like the other playable races (3 character choices and one evil faction as an excuse to have tengu enemies), there's plenty of variety in their feather patterns and their body structure is pretty much the same as the charr, meaning they could easily re-use their armour designs.

I'm pretty sure we'll see the largos sooner or later too. New content or a full on expansion focusing on underwater content is inevitable and they seem much more likely than the quaggan or hylek.

sworen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By sworen

If not the tengu, then the Hylek would be interesting to play. Tengu seem like the more likely pick though because they are the most humanoid to fit.

zollington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zollington

Hylek all the way.

Boondocks24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Boondocks24

@Zollington: Hylek are awesome, i would like to play as them also, but i like the Koda a lot more, i mean their polar bear humanoids, pretty beast

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

If anything, I feel like the kodan are way less likely to become playable, since norn already have the whole "be a giant fucking bear" thing sewn up. Largos and tengu seem like shoe-ins for the eventual underwater and Canthan expansions, respectively, and hylek would work for Elona. What I'd really like to see as a long-shot are playable centaurs, if the insane logistics could somehow be worked out.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Dark_Lord_Spam: Yeah, they did rule out the centaurs because of animation problems, but I'd really love for them to be added eventually. They did a lot of interesting things with the centaurs in GW1, it's a shame to see them reduced to basically just being nameless enemies this time around.

Avatar image for sharpshotapollo
    SharpShotApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By SharpShotApollo

I can definitively see the Tengu being the next race based on the fact they were almost playable to begin with and the fact there are 3 entrances to the Dominion of Winds already, just sealed off. Also, they're awesome.

TheFreepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheFreepie

Tengu all the way, yo.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By squiDc00kiE

A Quaggan in full CoF gear. Done.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.