Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

How commited to guild wars do you think you will be?

• 53 results
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sanity

So basically do you plan to still try and play current releases or are you going to stick with guild wars for the most part. I love how deep i get into mmo's but they also take up most of my gaming time, and im someone who buys way too many games. This week alone i am playing Darksiders 2, Counter Strike: GO, and im going to check out Diablo 3 again if the patch comes out on Tuesday plus the obvious impending launch of this game.

If GW2 really gets its hooks in me i may stop playing mostly every other game i have, but i may also stop impulse buying every damned game that catches my eye. GW2 could be very good for my wallet and very bad for my social life which is more trouble then its worth anyways. Anyone else thinking along these lines?

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SlasherMan

It'll probably take up a good portion of my gaming time for the first couple of weeks at least. I don't see myself being obsessed with it in an unhealthy way though.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

I'm basically dropping out of school for the game.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Vexxan

I tend to go all the way with MMOs and play like crazy for years but this time I'm gonna keep it casual. Besides, I don't have the time that I used to have to play for like day after day.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Cloudenvy

Not very, I think.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool game and everything! I just don't see myself spending all my free time playing it.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Cloudenvy said:

Not very, I think.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool game and everything I just don't see myself spending all my free time playing it.

This. The more videos I see and the closer we get to release, the less excited I get. Again, looks cool and I'll probably enjoy it, but I don't think it'll be my 'goto game.' Not by a long shot.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll play the game like I play all of the games I own. Play a bunch during the first few months but then scale back a bit and play other things.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

If it hooks me anything like the first guild wars, this will be my go-to game for at least a year, possibly more if new content shows up and/or the PvP stays interesting. PvP kept me in GW1 for 2-3 years, so I'm not ruling that out here.

This is not to say that I won't play other games - I'll get around to finishing Darksiders 2 at some point, same with Assassin's Creed 3... jut not for a while after GW2's launch : )

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By scarace360

Committed enough to stop going outside.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By lethalki11ler

Good thing about GW2 not having a monthly fee is that I don't feel obliged to play it more than any other game. WoW on the other hand felt like I HAD to play it in order to get my money's worth... Might sound weird but yeah it'll definitely help me play other games and keep my social level at a high level.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By supamon

If it's as good as I hope it is then I'll definitely be spending months on it as my main game while taking breaks playing other major titles. Depending on how good the content is, how much there is to do. The people I play with is naturally also a factor.

announakis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By announakis

This will definitely be the only game for me in a while (except if I lose it and buy the PC release for dark souls ^_^ to play all the Artorius supplementary content)

I will most certainly play 2-3 hours every day if possible...as Cynic says, if the PvP proves to be as rich as in GW1, I will probably be hooked to the game for years...

Tarkhein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tarkhein

@scarace360 said:

Hear Hear!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Bollard

@selfconfessedcynic said:

If it hooks me anything like the first guild wars, this will be my go-to game for at least a year, possibly more if new content shows up and/or the PvP stays interesting. PvP kept me in GW1 for 2-3 years, so I'm not ruling that out here.

I hope this is true for me, I want to get hooked. Nothing at all is coming out this year that I care about until AC3, and even that won't take up much of my time. I need something to keep me going, and Guild Wars looks promising for that.

legendlexicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By legendlexicon

This will hopefully be my only game purchase for the rest of the year. I have diablo 3, bf3, tribes also to keep me entertained, so I'm using this game as a good financial decision.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Rohok

Not very. Will be playing ArmA 2, Men of War, Sims 3, Skyrim, Mass Effect multiplayer, and just about every other game. This might just be a night time friend get together game. I'm not obsessed with it like most people.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By No0b0rAmA

......A couple of years maybe? Well at least until Q3 2013, when best game ever comes out.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By shinboy630
    @No0b0rAmA

......A couple of years maybe? Well at least until Q3 2013, when best game ever comes out.

The first expansion?
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By No0b0rAmA

@shinboy630: google "Q3 2013 Game"

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Play it once and shove it under the bed.

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By RobbieMac

I will play it pretty often but I will be playing other games without a doubt. I still play BF3 pretty often (new expansion in September will be awesome), I am obsessed with The Binding of Issac, I want to go through all the Half-Life's again and I have quite a few other games that I just pick up and goof around in.

Nyaxite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nyaxite

I'll likely be playing it a fair bit for a while if it stays interesting enough end-game. Borderlands 2 will take the spotlight from it for a bit I'm sure, but the subscription-less model will have me keep coming back. Hell, every now and then I still hop onto GW1 for nostalgia, and I know this game will be leaps and bounds ahead of the first. I know being involved in the community of MMOs is what keeps the lasting-appeal of them, so that's why I'm joining the GB community. It helps that my brother and a few close friends are picking it up. So, pretty much:

@scarace360 said:

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grillbar

fairly little ill play it until i get tired of it and then im done. so maybe 3-5 month on and off but hope ill like it enough to play it more

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vao

Be like any other game, as long as I'm still interested in the game I'll still play, there's also no rule you can only play one game at a time. Guess my upside is I have a job that requires a lot of downtime and ready at a moments notice. So guild wars 2 sounds like a great I'd now that m off the wow hook.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By shinboy630
    @No0b0rAmA

You crazy people and your strategy games.
    Seastalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Seastalk

@JerichoBlyth said:

I'll do one better, I'll buy it and never play it. Hazzah.

craptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By craptain

Im making it a point to not be overly devoted to it. The longer I can make it feel like a new game the better. I'll still probably be playing at least 20 hours a week...

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By MrMazz

Probably a lot since I will be abstaining from BLOPS2 this year and not a lot of other major box releases have me excited at the moment. Can't wait for BioShock Infinite but that is still a ways off. I've spent a fair amount of money upgrading my PC anyways for this so maybe if there is a steam sale.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Subjugation

If it hooks me like WoW did, this will be pretty much the only game I play for a very long time. During my stint with WoW I pretty much solely played it alone. If it's good fun and I'm saving money by not buying other games, cool deal.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By Giantstalker

I find the level of raw enthusiasm for GW2 honestly baffling, it looks decent but I don't see how it's the Second Coming or anything. There are some high expectations for what this is going to be, and I haven't a clue how the game can live up to all that (haven't played the betas yet, I'm just skeptical).

I might buy it if it lives up to the hype a couple weeks down the road, not sure yet. GW1 wasn't my thing.

Echinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Echinos
    If it hooks me like WoW did, this will be pretty much the only game I play for a very long time. During my stint with WoW I pretty much solely played it alone. If it's good fun and I'm saving money by not buying other games, cool deal.

Same here, if its really good it will be the only game I play for a good while. I do tons of research on a game before I even buy it so I know I will like it and not be disappointed.

-Echinos

Selona83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Selona83

Not TO much I hope. And so does my lady I bet:)

I aint going to stress it that is for sure. Stretch the game out as much as I can. I am still a bit on the fence about the things to do at max lvl as far as PVE goes.

Dont get me wrong. ORR sounds awesome. But how long can that last? When it dosent I will just level another character I guess. So I expect to play it for years. As long as I have nice ppl to play and talk to.

Cause lets face it. I dident play WoW for 6.5 years because of the awesome gameplay. To me mmo:s are a social hub and becomes so much more fun when you have ppl to hang out with. I stopped playing some fun mmo:s in the past cause I just felt to alone (that might have been me not making friends). Point being...that is why I reached out for this community. Cause I do not want this happen to this game.

But yeah, new content every now and then. Some fun ppl to play with. And am all happy for years!

Poor you guys!;)

Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Turkalurch

It'll definitely be my go to MMO from now on until Guild Wars 3. :P

I'll still play my shooters, action adventure and RPGs as they releeeeeeeease... and whichever ones I still have in my back log.

But Guild Wars 2 is shaping up to be the MMO I've always wanted (all that seems to be missing is housing :( ). So I'm going to get the most out of it as I can.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By Rohok

@Giantstalker said:

I find the level of raw enthusiasm for GW2 honestly baffling, it looks decent but I don't see how it's the Second Coming or anything. There are some high expectations for what this is going to be, and I haven't a clue how the game can live up to all that (haven't played the betas yet, I'm just skeptical).

I might buy it if it lives up to the hype a couple weeks down the road, not sure yet. GW1 wasn't my thing.

Same. It's not even really an MMO in that it doesn't really offer anything to suggest it's a second universe you can fully live in and immerse yourself in. There's no player-driven economy, there's no housing system, there's no politics, no full-on armor customization. Really I just don't see what separates it from like, say, Dragon Age Origins with multiplayer. The lack of subscription fee is the only thing that's unique to me.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By shinboy630

I've already comes to terms with the fact that I am going to spend thousands of hours in this game, so I think its fair to say I'm going to be pretty commited.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dourin

@Rohok said:

@Giantstalker said:

Same. It's not even really an MMO in that it doesn't really offer anything to suggest it's a second universe you can fully live in and immerse yourself in. There's no player-driven economy, there's no housing system, there's no politics, no full-on armor customization. Really I just don't see what separates it from like, say, Dragon Age Origins with multiplayer. The lack of subscription fee is the only thing that's unique to me.

I....what? Ok, first off, there is a player-driven economy (Trading Post) that is supplemented by the gem store (microtransactions), WoW has no housing system, WoW has no politics, and GW2 has probably the most armor customization of all current MMO's to date. Not only can you customize up to 3 different colors per piece (weapons excluded), but you can also change the visual appearance (a la WoW's transmogrification system) of every piece of gear (I'm assuming here with weapons). I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy here, but I'm guessing neither of you have actually played in the beta at all ( has admitted as much), because if you had, you'd know that GW2 is nothing like GW1 in any way other than the lore. GW2 is a fully-realized MMO world, the same as you would come to expect from games like WoW, SWTOR, Rift, or TERA. Claiming it not to be a "real" MMO because it is missing such sideline features as player housing and politics comes off as desperately nitpickey to find anything wrong with the game to complain about. In fact, with the exception perhaps of a player-driven economy, none of those features you meantioned,

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By No0b0rAmA

@Rohok said:

@Giantstalker said:

lol

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@Seastalk said:

@JerichoBlyth said:

I'll do one better, I'll buy it and never play it. Hazzah.

That's probably closer to what I'll do than I'd like to admit.

Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Turkalurch

@Dourin said:

@Rohok said:

@Giantstalker said:

I....what? Ok, first off, there is a player-driven economy (Trading Post) that is supplemented by the gem store (microtransactions), WoW has no housing system, WoW has no politics, and GW2 has probably the most armor customization of all current MMO's to date. Not only can you customize up to 3 different colors per piece (weapons excluded), but you can also change the visual appearance (a la WoW's transmogrification system) of every piece of gear (I'm assuming here with weapons). I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy here, but I'm guessing neither of you have actually played in the beta at all ( has admitted as much), because if you had, you'd know that GW2 is nothing like GW1 in any way other than the lore. GW2 is a fully-realized MMO world, the same as you would come to expect from games like WoW, SWTOR, Rift, or TERA. Claiming it not to be a "real" MMO because it is missing such sideline features as player housing and politics comes off as desperately nitpickey to find anything wrong with the game to complain about. In fact, with the exception perhaps of a player-driven economy, none of those features you meantioned,

When it comes down to it, with years of following and then playing it for all the beta weekends and some of the stress tests, I'd have to say Guild Wars 2 is more of an MMO compared to any other MMO on the market right now save probably EVE (I'm thinking along the lines of the definition of Massively Multiplayer Online Game). It also promotes the social aspect we've all come to know and love more than the big hitters out there. I don't mean to sound fanboyish either. Its just the facts.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

It'll be filling the same role that GW1 did for me: that is, I'll binge on it for a couple of months after content updates, and otherwise play it consistently as a "back-up game." The only difference is now I have a PC that can handle the dozens of Steam games in my catalog, so I might require such a game less often for a while yet.

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By RobbieMac

@Dourin said:

@Rohok said:

@Giantstalker said:

The housing argument could even be remedied by the fact that ArenaNet has stated in the past that they want to add Guild Halls after release. I can only imagine what types of customization a guild could perform on their guild hall considering all of the NPC's different guild hall locations in GW1 you could choose was pretty large. So I imagine ArenaNet has envisioned something great for Guild Halls.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By project343

Should be my go-to game throughout this school year at the very least. That said, school year is indicative to how much time I'll have to pump into it on a weekly basis.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By UssjTrunks

It's going to be the only game I play alongside CS GO and SC2 for the next few years. However, once school starts (which is soon), my play time will drop dramatically.

punxotani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By punxotani

Same as others. This should be my go to game. I've been trying to get some HOM stuff done but it so hard to play the game after playing gw2 bwe/stress test stuff.

Having a non hardcore raiding guild helps keep me in the game.

As for, " It's not even really an MMO ". those comments are baffling. Not sure if serious. I can agree g2 has a ton of hype though.

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By llamaegg

Completely depends on the activity of the guild. As long as a bunch of duders are active and on mumble a good chunk of the time I'll throw gazillions of hours into it, but if not? I'll drop it pretty quickly. I tend to play MMO's for the community, if I don't have that, I just don't have fun.

craptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By craptain

whores

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@craptain: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By konig_kei

@shinboy630 said:

@No0b0rAmA

You crazy people and your strategy games.

Pretty sure he's talking about farm machines championships 2013, the BIG release of 2013 obviously.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@konig_kei: Hell yeah! I'm going to be camping out for the midnight release parties.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pause422

I could never get seriously commited to another game, especially an mmo ever again, but I would of said I planned to play a really good amount of it for a long time. That may still be true, but it now is very up in the air thanks to Planetside 2 soon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.