Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

I must be doing something wrong - Need help

Philip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Philip

I am now Level 43, but I am still wearing Armour for required levels late 20's and 30's.

And my weapons are from required level 32 or so.

It appears or feels like I should be running with higher and better gear. I do not even have saved upto 1 Gold yet lol.

Is there any tips for getting gear for more my level, and even making Gold.

Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Synaptic

The biggest thing is get 8 slot bags and sell every blue and green drop you get (assuming you're not gonna use it). salvage the white ones for mats if you're gonna be crafting, and gather mats from nodes to sell, that'll make you some decent money. cash can be hard to come by at certain oints though, don't get discouraged

rynbeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By rynbeed

Get on the trading Post and do a search for Armor at your level. You'll notice a hug difference. And it'll be super cheap.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Don't worry, when I was in my 60s I was still wearing armor and using weapons 20 levels lower than me, so I know how much it can suck. You'll get better armor and weapons as you go along. Usually I started getting level appropriate gear when I went to areas that were closer to my level, but even then the drops were few and far between. As far as gold is concerned, I made my gold by barely buying anything I didn't need and selling everything that I couldn't use. It's the same strategy I use in all RPGs.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@rynbeed said:

Get on the trading Post and do a search for Armor at your level. You'll notice a hug difference. And it'll be super cheap.

Pretty much this. You should be able to get what you need for well under 1 gold, which is affordable assuming you've sold all of your greens and blues.

Alternatively, what a bunch of us who got to lvl80 first did was make sure their crafting levels kept up with their levels and just crafted their own gear while salvaging all of said drops for the mats. Crafting is incredibly quick to level if you approach it correctly (focus on making crafting discoveries rather than just making a lot of the components), so that's also a fast way to level in itself.

Finally, an option is to 100% areas for the silver and good rewards - though my general recommendation is to never get hung up on 100%ing things since that can get hair-pullingly frustrating and is a much much slower way to level than just doing level appropriate stuff (or even better, stuff 4-5 levels above you).

Philip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Philip

Thanks for the suggestions, I think my main problem was salvaging every item, and not selling. I thought I could increase my crafting to craft good equipment, but it has not paid off at all.

I have so far found 1 rare, I think I will try to sell on TP, its not for my class :(

rynbeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rynbeed
    @Philip

Thanks for the suggestions, I think my main problem was salvaging every item, and not selling. I thought I could increase my crafting to craft good equipment, but it has not paid off at all.

I have so far found 1 rare, I think I will try to sell on TP, its not for my class :(

Yeah, I thought I would be doing crafting as well. Turns out I still don't like to work in my MMOs.

If your bank is loaded with salvage materials you can make a quick buck selling them on the trading post. More than just selling to NPCs. So far it's been the best way to make a couple bucks after a day of exploring.

Oh also, I came back to the post to add this, make sure the new Armor you buy has tuffness on it. You'll notice yourself surviving a lot longer the more tuffness you have. Happy gaming duder!
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jozzy

I am level 64 or so and weapons and armor on the AH are still incredibly cheap. If you just want a blue you can have it for a silver (pretty much vendor prices), if you want something yellow it will only be around 2-15 silver. The economy seems a little wrong in this game, the AH is flooded with decent weapons and armor because people want to unload while they are questing. There is really not much reason to care about drops at all, maybe it changes at max level?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Seppli

@Philip said:

I am now Level 43, but I am still wearing Armour for required levels late 20's and 30's.

And my weapons are from required level 32 or so.

It appears or feels like I should be running with higher and better gear. I do not even have saved upto 1 Gold yet lol.

Is there any tips for getting gear for more my level, and even making Gold.

Just go to the trading post and buy mastercraft gear. Shit's less than a silver a piece. If you don't want to do that, farm materials yourself and push your tradeskills until you can build level-appropriate gear.

My advice - don't care about gear until you hit level 80. Play in whatever zone you like - as long as they're not higher level than you are, you will have a great time regardless of your gear.

Philip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Philip

I have been doing better now, however is there an easy way to find class specific gear in TP, it seems a little hard to navigate.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Seppli

@Philip said:

I have been doing better now, however is there an easy way to find class specific gear in TP, it seems a little hard to navigate.

Nope - but you can narrow it down considerably by specifying level range and quality and slot, and then searching for the surfix (aka label of stats loadout) of your choice.

The Trading Post will definitely see improvements in the near future. Narrowing down the search by differentiating between light/medium/heavy armor will certainly be one of the first improvements to come.

That said, it's not that hard to get what you need out of the search mask. Just apply yourself.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By clush

@selfconfessedcynic said:

Alternatively, what a bunch of us who got to lvl80 first did was make sure their crafting levels kept up with their levels and just crafted their own gear while salvaging all of said drops for the mats. Crafting is incredibly quick to level if you approach it correctly (focus on making crafting discoveries rather than just making a lot of the components), so that's also a fast way to level in itself.

Crafting yourself is probably the single most expensive way to get gear. Also it makes you level up real fast which means your gear will only be level appropiate for an even shorter amount of time. For a guy struggling for gold and level appropiate gear this is probably the worst advice.

Better to stay out of crafting, sell your materials and buy gear from the trading post. Greens are dirt cheap by default and are probably the way to go if you want the most bang for your buck.

Also, in my experience a couple Magic Find runes are a good investment. Don't go crazy with them because the runes themselves can be pricey too, but investing in like +20% Magic Find will pay for itself in no time.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ajamafalous

Blues sell for vendor price on the trading post because people are dumb and don't understand markets, so you can upgrade your gear every 4-5 levels for essentially zero money.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By clush

@ajamafalous said:

Blues sell for vendor price on the trading post because people are dumb and don't understand markets, so you can upgrade your gear every 4-5 levels for essentially zero money.

That could very well be because people need to clear up inventory space without a vendor nearby. But it's true, if you aim one or two notches below rare yellow gear the TP is a good place to get them cheap.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@jozzy said:

I am level 64 or so and weapons and armor on the AH are still incredibly cheap. If you just want a blue you can have it for a silver (pretty much vendor prices), if you want something yellow it will only be around 2-15 silver. The economy seems a little wrong in this game, the AH is flooded with decent weapons and armor because people want to unload while they are questing. There is really not much reason to care about drops at all, maybe it changes at max level?

Around level 70, rares and exotics on the BLTP start to get exponentially more expensive. Exotics because everyone at level 80 wants a specific set, and rares because everyone at level 80 wants to salvage them for ectos.

Philip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Philip

I did a good buying session on the TP to upgrade armor and weapons. probably spent no more than 5 silver with some Rares in the mix.

Will see if I can survive longer in battle.

Avatar image for halcyontwilight
    halcyontwilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By halcyontwilight

@clush said:

Crafting yourself is probably the single most expensive way to get gear. Also it makes you level up real fast which means your gear will only be level appropiate for an even shorter amount of time. For a guy struggling for gold and level appropiate gear this is probably the worst advice.

Better to stay out of crafting, sell your materials and buy gear from the trading post. Greens are dirt cheap by default and are probably the way to go if you want the most bang for your buck.

Also, in my experience a couple Magic Find runes are a good investment. Don't go crazy with them because the runes themselves can be pricey too, but investing in like +20% Magic Find will pay for itself in no time.

Crafting your own gear is more expensive than buying cheap blues/greens off the TP, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. If you looking from a pure cost perspective, what clush said is correct. However, the experience you get from crafting is superb and more importantly it gives you the opportunity to really customize their gear and play around with different builds. The initial cost of getting crafting materials for one crafting profession is negligible if you've been properly exploring, doing events, and filling hearts. The money you'll get from selling all of his fine crafting and raw mats of your level on the trading post won't be amazing, and in my opinion those mats will be better spent being converted into experience through crafting.

If you haven't been gathering/salvaging raw mats consistently and you don't have a decent amount of fine crafting mats, then crafting definitely isn't recommended. And definitely don't jump into two or more professions that both require the same materials.

Also try to salvage smartly. Look at your bank and see what you have a surplus of. If you have too much wood, sell the weapons/shields that you get. If you have too much ore, sell the heavy armor you can't use. And so on. Salvage the items that give you raw materials you can use, and sell the rest.

You earn a fair amount of money from completing events and 100% areas, so if you're really in dire need of money, go questing and explore. 100% zones also gives you some nice bonuses appropriate for the zone area, which you can either use or sell.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By clush

@halcyonTwilight said:

@clush said:

Crafting your own gear is more expensive than buying cheap blues/greens off the TP, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. If you looking from a pure cost perspective, what clush said is correct.

Crafting is also more expensive than buying the exact same item off the TP, not just blues and greens.

And whether you've gathered your own materials or not really shouldn't matter. They are worth the same whether you buy them or go get them yourself. If they're not worth it to buy for your own crafting then using the materials you gathered yourself isn't worth it either. You might also be surprised how much some materials are selling for, it really is nothing to be sniffed at.

If getting xp was a problem in this game then maybe crafting would be more worthwhile, but you'll probably get the same xp, if not more, simply walking around in a new zone compared to the same amount of time spent crafting.

@halcyonTwilight said:

Also try to salvage smartly. Look at your bank and see what you have a surplus of. If you have too much wood, sell the weapons/shields that you get. If you have too much ore, sell the heavy armor you can't use. And so on. Salvage the items that give you raw materials you can use, and sell the rest.

If you have too much wood, sell the wood. If you have too much ore, sell the ore. In fact, sell all your materials because they're worth way more than any item you could ever craft with them. Only salvage items if the raw materials gained are worth more than the item itself (this is only very rarely the case, with the exception of upgrade components... always check those, sometimes the upgrade component is worth more than the complete item). Otherwise you'd be better off vendoring the item and buying materials with the money made. You'd be even better off vendoring the item and then not buying materials because you don't do crafting.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By shinboy630

@clush said:

In fact, sell all your materials because they're worth way more than any item you could ever craft with them.

Legendaries. That is all.

Avatar image for halcyontwilight
    halcyontwilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By halcyontwilight

@clush: You bring up valid points which I do agree with. However, we're looking at crafting from different perspectives. I'm looking at it as a investment that has relatively minimal costs (again, assuming that he doesn't need to buy a significant amount of crafting materials to keep his profession(s) leveled). He will make money by selling all his crafting mats. But the benefits of crafting (more direct interaction with the stat mechanics, easy xp, gearing alts, crafting 80 rare/exotic gear for cheap, legendaries) are significant enough for me to still recommend it as a viable option for any player to explore.

In addition, the xp you get from crafting makes leveling easier by letting a player catch up to the recommended level for the zone or by letting a player overlevel/overgear a zone (even after level scaling) to make world exploration more efficient.

Crafting in this game can be a money sink with no easy way to profit from it, but it still has its benefits and is still worth considering as an option to explore for any GW2 player. Money for class training books and gear can be easily earned through exploring and questing, without having to sell all your crafting materials. Sure, gold does become an issue at end game, but having leveled craft(s) can alleviate some of those issues. I've actually saved a lot gold at 80 by crafting my own set of exotic gear and superior runes, since prices for good lvl 80 gear are so overpriced.

Again, I'm arguing that crafting is a option worth exploring that can turn into a good investment. From my experience it's relatively easy to craft and have enough money to level at the same time. If you're hellbent on maximizing the amount of money you get while leveling, then by all means sell everything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.