Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

PSA: Never Be Not Updating

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

In light of today's massive client patch of about 10,000 additional files, I'd like to take this opportunity to provide you with some advice a wise man (myself) once (just now) gave me: "only suckers and narcs don't update their game."

Really, you should be opening that .exe once a day preferably. After all this waiting, you don't want to fire up your game at launch and be met with a fat progress bar.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

Thank for the heads up! This sort of thing has been followed by stress tests in the past, so we may be in for another treat. I'm guess maybe tuesday or wednesday? Probably the last one before pre-launch.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SamStrife

10,000 files isn't a whole lot to update (took me around 5 minutes this past stress test) but I suspect that over this week we're going to see several updates that could all add up. Cheers for the advice duder, will get on this now.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@SamStrife: It really depends on the size of the files. This one's somewhere between .5 and 1 GB, so people with slower connections might have a decent wait on their hands.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SamStrife

@Dark_Lord_Spam: Ah I never actually considered that some of the files could be huge and some could be tiny, that's a good point. That been said, this update only took me a few minutes and I don't have the world's greatest connection by an stretch of the imagination.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Maystack

I'm still preloading Darksiders II, but I'll get around to it when that's done. I'll definitely make sure everything's up to date before saturday (holy shit, yes it's that soon), even if I have to leave it updating 24/7.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By fattony12000

DOING IT!

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh cool, I usually check if there are any updates every 4 days but I didn't check it out this week. Thanks =)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Bollard

@SamStrife: It looks like it's gunna take me somewhere between half an hour and an hour. Love having less than 2Mb down.

@Dark_Lord_Spam: Previous records would indicate this points towards another stress test - what say ye?

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Benny

@Chavtheworld: There's rumors that it will be wednesday, we'll see.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By scarace360

Done and done!

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SamStrife

@Chavtheworld: @Benny: Ooooh another Stress Test? Would be nice to have a mid-week WvW session.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck yeah another stress test. Can't wait to see the balance changes.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bollard

@SamStrife: WvW sounds like a good shout.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SamStrife

@Chavtheworld: Since I got a PC that can run WvW at more than single digit frames-per-second, I've gone crazy for it. Really need to team up with a bunch of Lincoln Forcers and tear it up.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Benny

@selfconfessedcynic: Same, I'm kinda blown away that it's less than a week away now and I'm still not 100% sure on what profession I'm playing but balance changes have swayed me towards the guardian now.

I don't think it warrants a new thread or anything, but there's a post floating around that I thought you might like http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/51308-gamescom-when-its-ready-authenticators-gvg/ Some sort of GvG coming in the near future, authenticators of some sort for accounts & they've confirmed the max level 'endgame' if you want to call it that isn't 100% done yet.

craptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By craptain

If you leave the launcher open all day and they release a patch, will it auto patch or do you have to restart the launcher? I might just leave it up while I'm at work.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bollard

@craptain said:

If you leave the launcher open all day and they release a patch, will it auto patch or do you have to restart the launcher? I might just leave it up while I'm at work.

I *think* you have to re start it. I haven't tested it, but from the way it seems to work it downloads a few files to check if there are new patches whenever you open it, I assume once it's open it doesn't check anymore.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lukeweizer

Have they mentioned anything about having to download a new client for the release version? Or do we just keep updating our beta clients? On and unrelated note - have they said how we retrieve our HOM rewrads? Is it just /bonus type thing like in GW1?

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mister_V

I'm certain you will be able to just update the current client. It would be insane to ask you to download the whole thing again.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@Lukeweizer: There's a permanent in-game item (like a stone or something) that you'll receive to transport you to your copy of the Hall of Monuments. I don't think anyone knows how we'll get the item yet, though.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By shinboy630
    @Dark_Lord_Spam

@Lukeweizer: There's a permanent in-game item (like a stone or something) that you'll receive to transport you to your copy of the Hall of Monuments. I don't think anyone knows how we'll get the item yet, though.

If I had to guess I would say it would be through in-game mail.
    Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Turkalurch

@Lukeweizer said:

Have they mentioned anything about having to download a new client for the release version? Or do we just keep updating our beta clients? On and unrelated note - have they said how we retrieve our HOM rewrads? Is it just /bonus type thing like in GW1?

Automated ingame mail? Hopefully?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheHT

98MB update.

Tarkhein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tarkhein

@Lukeweizer said:

As far as I've heard, you go to your home instance to pick them up, but nothing has been said on what happens in between those two steps.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheHT

Looks like another substantial update is available. Only around 3,000 files, but the bar is barely filled and I've already downloaded about 200MB, so if the rest of the files follow suit it'll be a big update.

Nevermind, it's just 480MB.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheHT said:

Looks like another substantial update is available. Only around 3,000 files, but the bar is barely filled and I've already downloaded about 200MB, so if the rest of the files follow suit it'll be a big update.

Thanks HT - didn't think we'd get one till tomorrow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.