So a bunch of people are sending the developers cupcakes...

Avatar image for sanity
#1 Edited by Sanity (2158 posts) -

I stumbled on this while browsing and decided to throw 5 bucks in because why not... Kinda dumb but funny at the same time. Basically there going to send around 300 cupcakes to the developers as a thank you. I normally shy away from these things as its usually impossible to make sure the money goes to the right hands but wepay is atleast a reputable way to pay. Wont link the donation page as im not sure if thats against fourm rules but just thought id share as its kinda cool. There over 800 bucks of the 1025$ goal as of now.

Link

Avatar image for theht
#2 Posted by TheHT (14632 posts) -

Well, I prepurchased the game. That's enough of a thank you as far as I'm concerned.

Nonetheless, it's a nice gesture. Cupcakes are great. It is known.

Avatar image for rattle618
#3 Posted by Rattle618 (1505 posts) -

Why?

Avatar image for lunar_aura
#4 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2824 posts) -

Why cupcakes? The answer is obvious. Because cupcakes.

Avatar image for jakob187
#5 Edited by jakob187 (22940 posts) -

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

Why not? The Guild Wars community is not a bunch of dickholes like most communities are.

I know. I know. Generosity on the internet is an odd thing. Take a deep breath. Now exhale. Whoosah.

Avatar image for n7
#6 Posted by N7 (4159 posts) -

I never get paid in cupcakes :(

Avatar image for irvandus
#7 Posted by Irvandus (3170 posts) -

Seems like a very Guild Wars community thing to do. They tend to be a good crowd, hopefully that doesn't change over time.

Avatar image for firepaw
#8 Edited by Firepaw (3073 posts) -

Cupcakes are still a threat!

No Caption Provided

The last time we heard about a developer getting cupcakes, wasn't it Bioware that got send 300 cupcakes from angry Mass Effect 3 fans or something silly like that?

EDIT: Pictures of the Bioware cupcakes:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3
Avatar image for sanity
#9 Posted by Sanity (2158 posts) -

@Village_Guy: Yea, i think the idea stemmed from that but in a nice way this time. haha

Avatar image for fateofnever
#10 Posted by FateOfNever (1876 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

Why not? The Guild Wars community is not a bunch of dickholes like most communities are.

I know. I know. Generosity on the internet is an odd thing. Take a deep breath. Now exhale. Whoosah.

"Why" seems like a legitimate question. You seem kind of angry about it though. Maybe you should be the one taking the deep breaths.

Avatar image for terramagi
#11 Posted by Terramagi (1167 posts) -

Were the cupcakes red, blue, and green?

Avatar image for jakob187
#12 Posted by jakob187 (22940 posts) -

@FateOfNever said:

@jakob187 said:

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

Why not? The Guild Wars community is not a bunch of dickholes like most communities are.

I know. I know. Generosity on the internet is an odd thing. Take a deep breath. Now exhale. Whoosah.

"Why" seems like a legitimate question. You seem kind of angry about it though. Maybe you should be the one taking the deep breaths.

Not at all angry. Just don't understand why compassion and generosity are met with a "Why?"...until I remembered that this is the internet, where those two things are next to impossible to find.

Avatar image for firepaw
#13 Posted by Firepaw (3073 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@FateOfNever said:

@jakob187 said:

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

Why not? The Guild Wars community is not a bunch of dickholes like most communities are.

I know. I know. Generosity on the internet is an odd thing. Take a deep breath. Now exhale. Whoosah.

"Why" seems like a legitimate question. You seem kind of angry about it though. Maybe you should be the one taking the deep breaths.

Not at all angry. Just don't understand why compassion and generosity are met with a "Why?"...until I remembered that this is the internet, where those two things are next to impossible to find.

I don't think that it is that compassion and generosity are something we don't have on the Internet, I think it is because the vast majority of people consider buying the game enough of a "thank you" to the developer, besides it seems a bit weird to send them cupcakes now, since we don't really know how the game will pan out. It is stellar now, but who knows if micro-transactions will break the game in the future...

Avatar image for sanity
#14 Posted by Sanity (2158 posts) -

@Village_Guy: True, but i think its nice to see this instead of the rampant hate that usually goes on during game launches. And most people are only giving 5-10 bucks so wheres the harm. The idea of doing this is to give something back to the people who actually made the game and not just the company i think. I understand people thinking its odd, it kinda is.

Avatar image for rattle618
#15 Posted by Rattle618 (1505 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

@jakob187 said:

@FateOfNever said:

@jakob187 said:

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

Why not? The Guild Wars community is not a bunch of dickholes like most communities are.

I know. I know. Generosity on the internet is an odd thing. Take a deep breath. Now exhale. Whoosah.

"Why" seems like a legitimate question. You seem kind of angry about it though. Maybe you should be the one taking the deep breaths.

Not at all angry. Just don't understand why compassion and generosity are met with a "Why?"...until I remembered that this is the internet, where those two things are next to impossible to find.

I don't think that it is that compassion and generosity are something we don't have on the Internet, I think it is because the vast majority of people consider buying the game enough of a "thank you" to the developer, besides it seems a bit weird to send them cupcakes now, since we don't really know how the game will pan out. It is stellar now, but who knows if micro-transactions will break the game in the future...

Pretty much this.

Why would a successful company that is accomplishing their monetary goals before their product even launches need compassion or generosity?. Seems a bit excessive to me considering nobody has played the finished game yet.

To be clear: Guild Wars 2 is the only game I´ve ever pre-purchased and Im very excited about it, I just feel this is kind of strange.

Avatar image for napalm
#16 Edited by Napalm (9230 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

EDIT: Pictures of the Bioware cupcakes:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

That is the most passive, passive-aggressive move I've ever seen.

Avatar image for hunter5024
#17 Posted by Hunter5024 (6702 posts) -

Psh, we send awesome shit to Giantbomb all the time. These guys aint special.

Avatar image for icecreamjones
#18 Posted by Icecreamjones (429 posts) -

Seems pointless to me, I thank them by paying money for their video game product. They're not my friends.

Avatar image for wemibelle
#19 Posted by Wemibelle (2410 posts) -

I agree. This seems a bit odd. It's not like ArenaNet is soliciting the cupcakes themselves so I guess it's a good idea? Sounds like more people that are so wrapped in the GW2 hype that they feel they need to praise the developers.

Avatar image for sanity
#20 Posted by Sanity (2158 posts) -

So people kinda went insane and its over 3000$ now, there going to send the extra cash to Child's Play so i guess you could say it turned out to be a great thing.

Avatar image for deerokus
#21 Edited by deerokus (932 posts) -

Down with cupcakes. They suck and are twee. They should send them chocolate brownies or muffins or something.

Avatar image for babychoochoo
#22 Posted by BabyChooChoo (6661 posts) -

@deerokus said:

Down with cupcakes. They suck and are twee. They should send them chocolate brownies or muffins or something.

This.

I mean c'mon, cupcakes? Really? Step your baking game up haters.

Avatar image for khemitude
#23 Posted by Khemitude (233 posts) -

@Rattle618 said:

@Village_Guy said:

@jakob187 said:

@FateOfNever said:

@jakob187 said:

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

Why not? The Guild Wars community is not a bunch of dickholes like most communities are.

I know. I know. Generosity on the internet is an odd thing. Take a deep breath. Now exhale. Whoosah.

"Why" seems like a legitimate question. You seem kind of angry about it though. Maybe you should be the one taking the deep breaths.

Not at all angry. Just don't understand why compassion and generosity are met with a "Why?"...until I remembered that this is the internet, where those two things are next to impossible to find.

I don't think that it is that compassion and generosity are something we don't have on the Internet, I think it is because the vast majority of people consider buying the game enough of a "thank you" to the developer, besides it seems a bit weird to send them cupcakes now, since we don't really know how the game will pan out. It is stellar now, but who knows if micro-transactions will break the game in the future...

Pretty much this.

Why would a successful company that is accomplishing their monetary goals before their product even launches need compassion or generosity?. Seems a bit excessive to me considering nobody has played the finished game yet.

To be clear: Guild Wars 2 is the only game I´ve ever pre-purchased and Im very excited about it, I just feel this is kind of strange.

Why? Because the Company wants the money. Where as the developers and coders and what not like the recognition so doing shows them that people like it and appreciate their work.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
#24 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -

Thank you for letting me purchase a videogame?
Good gesture but a bit strange to do so now...better to wait and see how it is in a year in my opinion.

Avatar image for thepaleking
#25 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

They're not blizzard, activision, ea, or ubisoft. Figure that's good enough a reason to deserve cupcakes.

Avatar image for dragon_fire
#26 Posted by Dragon_Fire (376 posts) -

@ThePaleKing said:

They're not blizzard, activision, ea, or ubisoft. Figure that's good enough a reason to deserve cupcakes.

Boom! This!

Avatar image for undeadpool
#27 Posted by Undeadpool (6115 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

@jakob187 said:

@FateOfNever said:

@jakob187 said:

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

Why not? The Guild Wars community is not a bunch of dickholes like most communities are.

I know. I know. Generosity on the internet is an odd thing. Take a deep breath. Now exhale. Whoosah.

"Why" seems like a legitimate question. You seem kind of angry about it though. Maybe you should be the one taking the deep breaths.

Not at all angry. Just don't understand why compassion and generosity are met with a "Why?"...until I remembered that this is the internet, where those two things are next to impossible to find.

I don't think that it is that compassion and generosity are something we don't have on the Internet, I think it is because the vast majority of people consider buying the game enough of a "thank you" to the developer, besides it seems a bit weird to send them cupcakes now, since we don't really know how the game will pan out. It is stellar now, but who knows if micro-transactions will break the game in the future...

Know what would be hilarious? They send cupcakes as a thank-you and the game turns out terrible. Cause then WHAT will they send as a protest? MORE CUPCAKES?!?!

Avatar image for j12088
#28 Posted by J12088 (471 posts) -

I'd prefer pizza.

Avatar image for shagge
#29 Posted by ShaggE (8538 posts) -

I remember when Telltale was still super-small, a bunch of us would chip in for gift baskets for them after a season was completed. Just a fun thing to do. Not sure why anybody's confused by that sort of thing.

Avatar image for turambar
#30 Posted by Turambar (8025 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

@FateOfNever said:

@jakob187 said:

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

Why not? The Guild Wars community is not a bunch of dickholes like most communities are.

I know. I know. Generosity on the internet is an odd thing. Take a deep breath. Now exhale. Whoosah.

"Why" seems like a legitimate question. You seem kind of angry about it though. Maybe you should be the one taking the deep breaths.

Not at all angry. Just don't understand why compassion and generosity are met with a "Why?"...until I remembered that this is the internet, where those two things are next to impossible to find.

Because the last time a company received 300 cupcakes, it was because they royally fucked up.
Avatar image for rohok
#31 Posted by Rohok (581 posts) -

You guys gonna send me cupcakes next for dealing with all this overly hyped BS regarding GW2? I only played it for like an hour last night before going back to SR3 and ArmA 2.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
#32 Posted by GunslingerPanda (5203 posts) -

Here is a bunch of cupcakes to say thank you for the videogame you generously sold me.

What?

Avatar image for subjugation
#33 Posted by Subjugation (4970 posts) -

It blows my mind how people can't understand why people would send some cupcakes as a thank you for the developer creating something they derive entertainment and enjoyment from.

Avatar image for rohok
#34 Posted by Rohok (581 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

It blows my mind how people can't understand why people would send some cupcakes as a thank you for the developer creating something they derive entertainment and enjoyment from.

Because despite everything... It's 60 dollars on the PC.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
#35 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7097 posts) -
@N7

I never get paid in cupcakes :(

You'll get paid in Trident Layers and you'll be thankful you're getting that much.
Avatar image for alexandersheen
#36 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5150 posts) -

@zeekthegeek said:

Seems pointless to me, I thank them by paying money for their video game product. They're not my friends.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Thank you for letting me purchase a videogame? Good gesture but a bit strange to do so now...better to wait and see how it is in a year in my opinion.

@GunslingerPanda said:

Here is a bunch of cupcakes to say thank you for the videogame you generously sold me.

What?

Pretty much these.

Avatar image for fritzdude
#37 Posted by FritzDude (2316 posts) -

You pay money, you get a good game. Are cupcakes really necessary?

I'm being cynical, aren't I?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.