Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

So a bunch of people are sending the developers cupcakes...

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sanity

I stumbled on this while browsing and decided to throw 5 bucks in because why not... Kinda dumb but funny at the same time. Basically there going to send around 300 cupcakes to the developers as a thank you. I normally shy away from these things as its usually impossible to make sure the money goes to the right hands but wepay is atleast a reputable way to pay. Wont link the donation page as im not sure if thats against fourm rules but just thought id share as its kinda cool. There over 800 bucks of the 1025$ goal as of now.

Link

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

Well, I prepurchased the game. That's enough of a thank you as far as I'm concerned.

Nonetheless, it's a nice gesture. Cupcakes are great. It is known.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rattle618

Why?

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Why cupcakes? The answer is obvious. Because cupcakes.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By jakob187

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

Why not? The Guild Wars community is not a bunch of dickholes like most communities are.

I know. I know. Generosity on the internet is an odd thing. Take a deep breath. Now exhale. Whoosah.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By N7

I never get paid in cupcakes :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Seems like a very Guild Wars community thing to do. They tend to be a good crowd, hopefully that doesn't change over time.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cupcakes are still a threat!

No Caption Provided

The last time we heard about a developer getting cupcakes, wasn't it Bioware that got send 300 cupcakes from angry Mass Effect 3 fans or something silly like that?

EDIT: Pictures of the Bioware cupcakes:

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sanity

@Village_Guy: Yea, i think the idea stemmed from that but in a nice way this time. haha

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FateOfNever

@jakob187 said:

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

Why not? The Guild Wars community is not a bunch of dickholes like most communities are.

I know. I know. Generosity on the internet is an odd thing. Take a deep breath. Now exhale. Whoosah.

"Why" seems like a legitimate question. You seem kind of angry about it though. Maybe you should be the one taking the deep breaths.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Terramagi

Were the cupcakes red, blue, and green?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By jakob187

@FateOfNever said:

@jakob187 said:

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

"Why" seems like a legitimate question. You seem kind of angry about it though. Maybe you should be the one taking the deep breaths.

Not at all angry. Just don't understand why compassion and generosity are met with a "Why?"...until I remembered that this is the internet, where those two things are next to impossible to find.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

@FateOfNever said:

@jakob187 said:

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

Not at all angry. Just don't understand why compassion and generosity are met with a "Why?"...until I remembered that this is the internet, where those two things are next to impossible to find.

I don't think that it is that compassion and generosity are something we don't have on the Internet, I think it is because the vast majority of people consider buying the game enough of a "thank you" to the developer, besides it seems a bit weird to send them cupcakes now, since we don't really know how the game will pan out. It is stellar now, but who knows if micro-transactions will break the game in the future...

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sanity

@Village_Guy: True, but i think its nice to see this instead of the rampant hate that usually goes on during game launches. And most people are only giving 5-10 bucks so wheres the harm. The idea of doing this is to give something back to the people who actually made the game and not just the company i think. I understand people thinking its odd, it kinda is.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rattle618

@Village_Guy said:

@jakob187 said:

@FateOfNever said:

@jakob187 said:

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

I don't think that it is that compassion and generosity are something we don't have on the Internet, I think it is because the vast majority of people consider buying the game enough of a "thank you" to the developer, besides it seems a bit weird to send them cupcakes now, since we don't really know how the game will pan out. It is stellar now, but who knows if micro-transactions will break the game in the future...

Pretty much this.

Why would a successful company that is accomplishing their monetary goals before their product even launches need compassion or generosity?. Seems a bit excessive to me considering nobody has played the finished game yet.

To be clear: Guild Wars 2 is the only game I´ve ever pre-purchased and Im very excited about it, I just feel this is kind of strange.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By napalm

@Village_Guy said:

EDIT: Pictures of the Bioware cupcakes:

That is the most passive, passive-aggressive move I've ever seen.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hunter5024

Psh, we send awesome shit to Giantbomb all the time. These guys aint special.

Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Icecreamjones

Seems pointless to me, I thank them by paying money for their video game product. They're not my friends.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Wemibelle

I agree. This seems a bit odd. It's not like ArenaNet is soliciting the cupcakes themselves so I guess it's a good idea? Sounds like more people that are so wrapped in the GW2 hype that they feel they need to praise the developers.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sanity

So people kinda went insane and its over 3000$ now, there going to send the extra cash to Child's Play so i guess you could say it turned out to be a great thing.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By deerokus

Down with cupcakes. They suck and are twee. They should send them chocolate brownies or muffins or something.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@deerokus said:

Down with cupcakes. They suck and are twee. They should send them chocolate brownies or muffins or something.

This.

I mean c'mon, cupcakes? Really? Step your baking game up haters.

Khemitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Khemitude

@Rattle618 said:

@Village_Guy said:

@jakob187 said:

@FateOfNever said:

@jakob187 said:

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

Pretty much this.

Why would a successful company that is accomplishing their monetary goals before their product even launches need compassion or generosity?. Seems a bit excessive to me considering nobody has played the finished game yet.

To be clear: Guild Wars 2 is the only game I´ve ever pre-purchased and Im very excited about it, I just feel this is kind of strange.

Why? Because the Company wants the money. Where as the developers and coders and what not like the recognition so doing shows them that people like it and appreciate their work.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Thank you for letting me purchase a videogame?
    Good gesture but a bit strange to do so now...better to wait and see how it is in a year in my opinion.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ThePaleKing

They're not blizzard, activision, ea, or ubisoft. Figure that's good enough a reason to deserve cupcakes.

Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dragon_Fire

@ThePaleKing said:

They're not blizzard, activision, ea, or ubisoft. Figure that's good enough a reason to deserve cupcakes.

Boom! This!

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Undeadpool

@Village_Guy said:

@jakob187 said:

@FateOfNever said:

@jakob187 said:

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

Know what would be hilarious? They send cupcakes as a thank-you and the game turns out terrible. Cause then WHAT will they send as a protest? MORE CUPCAKES?!?!

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By J12088

I'd prefer pizza.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ShaggE

I remember when Telltale was still super-small, a bunch of us would chip in for gift baskets for them after a season was completed. Just a fun thing to do. Not sure why anybody's confused by that sort of thing.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Turambar
    @jakob187 said:

@FateOfNever said:

@jakob187 said:

@Rattle618 said:

Why?

Because the last time a company received 300 cupcakes, it was because they royally fucked up.
    Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rohok

You guys gonna send me cupcakes next for dealing with all this overly hyped BS regarding GW2? I only played it for like an hour last night before going back to SR3 and ArmA 2.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Here is a bunch of cupcakes to say thank you for the videogame you generously sold me.

What?

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Subjugation

It blows my mind how people can't understand why people would send some cupcakes as a thank you for the developer creating something they derive entertainment and enjoyment from.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rohok

@Subjugation said:

It blows my mind how people can't understand why people would send some cupcakes as a thank you for the developer creating something they derive entertainment and enjoyment from.

Because despite everything... It's 60 dollars on the PC.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @N7

I never get paid in cupcakes :(

You'll get paid in Trident Layers and you'll be thankful you're getting that much.
    AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@zeekthegeek said:

Seems pointless to me, I thank them by paying money for their video game product. They're not my friends.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Thank you for letting me purchase a videogame? Good gesture but a bit strange to do so now...better to wait and see how it is in a year in my opinion.

@GunslingerPanda said:

Here is a bunch of cupcakes to say thank you for the videogame you generously sold me.

What?

Pretty much these.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FritzDude

You pay money, you get a good game. Are cupcakes really necessary?

I'm being cynical, aren't I?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.