Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Storywise a continuation of GW1?

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By RainVillain

Interested in this game but should I play through Guild Wars 1 first?

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Riddell
    shikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By shikon

you can get some items tough  if you played GW1. but your going to need to do some serius grindage if your starting from scratch..

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Riddell
    @Shikon said:
    " you can get some items tough  if you played GW1. but your going to need to do some serius grindage if your starting from scratch.. "
    Holy Grammar!
    RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By RobbieMac
    @Shikon said:
    " you can get some items tough  if you played GW1. but your going to need to do some serius grindage if your starting from scratch.. "
    Not worth it at this point in my opinion.  Plus at the beginning of the game it will give a run through of what happened in those 250 years.

As Riddell said wiki can give you details on things that will be retained in Guild Wars 2 from GW1 (feuds, religion, etc.)
    Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Brians

Speaking as someone who owns Guild Wars 1 and has played the Guild Wars 2 Demo at Pax they are completely different games.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#7  Edited By tearhead

GW1 is an amazing game, but you have to realize this is an mmo released in 2005, with three expansions. Playing all of that will be ad daunting task. The amount of hours you will have to pour into this game to get all the story is gargantuan. If you just wany story read the wiki, but if you also want to experience a great game, go for it.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By NickL

GW1 is a cutscene filled game... I'm sure by this point someone has put up a compilation of every cutscene in all the games on youtube, i would highly suggest that 

i wouldnt recommend playing through it though, it is primarily a multiplayer game and everyone has been done with the story stuff since 2008 or so 
    the last missions are extremely hard with only heros/henchman and i think impossible without heros 

edit : also if you are into lets play's im sure there are plenty that play through the story

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Riddell
    @Briguile said:
    " Speaking as someone who owns Guild Wars 1 and has played the Guild Wars 2 Demo at Pax they are completely different games. "
    What were your impressions?
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jeffsekai

I'd like to know why the Charr are playable. Aren't they evil?

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By mazik765
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " I'd like to know why the Charr are playable. Aren't they evil? "
    The Charr were evil because one of the castes in their society led them to worship evil creatures as Gods. Now they have gotten rid of that caste and while they are still militaristic and aggressive they are not evil.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @mazik765 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " I'd like to know why the Charr are playable. Aren't they evil? "
    The Charr were evil because one of the castes in their society led them to worship evil creatures as Gods. Now they have gotten rid of that caste and while they are still militaristic and aggressive they are not evil. "
    Makes sense, thanks.
    Chylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chylo

250 years past GW1, but I'm positive Anet will throw some easter eggs into GW2 or make homages to the original. Can't wait to find those. 

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Brians
    @Riddell:  Guild Wars 2 is Awesome and I'd rather wait and play that from the beginning than go with Guild Wars 1. Since I didn't start playing Guild Wars from the start a lot of the quests and stuff are hard. Guild Wars 2 has a more interesting art style and appears to make the story more personal. Also combat is kind of changed and the Graphics are way better in Guild Wars 2. Basically its hard to go back to one after seeing all the cool shit Arenanet is adding in Guild Wars 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.