Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

The Role of Squads

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Gameplay programmer Jordan Massey just put up an article on the ArenaNet blog discussing the function of squads, in particular the requirements for, responsibilities of, and tools given to the commander which leads each one. It seems to be a good middle-ground grouping solution between small parties and unorganized mobs. Here's the link.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Hmm... Not sure how I feel about squad chat being one way. Otherwise, the system seems relatively well thought out.

ED: I'm not sure, but I don't think he's talked about having parties within squads... does that work? I wonder what that dynamic would be like. I like having the option of chat with the people I'm playing with.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Codeacious

@selfconfessedcynic: I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I'm pretty sure that it's possible to be in a party and a squad, and you don't have to all be in the same squad to be in a party.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @selfconfessedcynic: I would assume the systems don't interfere with each other. Squads just seem like an efficient way to organize your strategy in WvW and heavily-populated dynamic events, situations where otherwise people might run around like headless chickens.
    ElSantos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ElSantos

Somewhat related question, has there been official word yet on whether or not /say will be added at some point? I like the one-way communication from squad leaders, it will make organization more effective, but I wish there was a way to communicate between parties that doesn't involve spamming /local.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @ElSantos: Am I right in thinking that /say is a direct, player-to-player communication? If so, GW1 had a whisper system that is returning in GW2.
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isnipeyoudie:@Dark_Lord_Spam:

I'd rather that the party leader selects a squad for the entire party, just as he would select what outpost to teleport to or when to start a mission. I don't think having a 5 man party with 4 in one squad and 1 in another would make much sense, unless you're ONLY doing it for the party chat.

Either way, Jordan doesn't appear to go into it here - he's probably clarified somewhere on a forums but I cbf'd looking. Will see once we get into our first betas.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @selfconfessedcynic: Even better, what if you were in a five-man group and each person was the commander of a different squad? That way you'd be able to coordinate the movements of all of those players by ordering your squads to flank an existing battle, split to cover more ground, collapse in on each other for an assault, etc.
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dark_Lord_Spam:

Hm... point taken.

But then, if we're talking about that level of coordination, I'd assume the people involved would have Vent/Mumble. Voice is by far and away more effective than chat, and in general I only really use chat in very PUG-like circumstances. I'd also bet that that is the norm for the people we're talking about. Heck, I had situations in good old Alliance Battles where the leaders were on Skype together whilst simultaneously being in team speak with the entire group. Needless to say, we wrecked fools.

No, when it comes to everyday-PvP, I am happy saying that limiting 5 man parties to a single squad would be beneficial.

ElSantos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ElSantos

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@ElSantos: Am I right in thinking that /say is a direct, player-to-player communication? If so, GW1 had a whisper system that is returning in GW2.

I mean /say as it is implemented in WoW - a public chat visible to all characters within a certain range (proximity based). /local is the chat for the whole zone, but when you want to communicate just to the people located at your current dynamic event or whatnot, there's no short-range chat channel. When I'm working with 10 random people at a DE, I don't want to spam /local talking about the DE, and I may not want to send a whisper to one person in particular - I may want to address the people within range of me. I understand why GW1 didn't have that, but it's strange to not see it in an open world game like GW2.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @ElSantos: Ah. In that case, I'm not sure. The wiki doesn't seem to have any detailed info on chat functionality.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.