Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

What race will you play first in Guild Wars 2?

• 124 results
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm getting increasingly excited about Guild Wars 2, probably as a result of all the amazing Gamescon footage that has recently hit the internet. You can find a collection of all the best stuff in this thread over here (Big love to Seppli)

I don't know if anyone obsesses over this stuff like I do, but I tend to plan out my race and class way in advance of actually buying a game. I was planning on starting Guild Wars 2 with a Charr character as... well... they are giant badass warrior cats. However having seen this new footage the idea of playing an Asura is growing on me...

How about you guys?

EDIT: I wrote "Nord" Instead of "Norn" - that's what happens if you make polls at 5am. I can't edit it, so use your imaginations!

Sylvari - Asura - Norn - Human - Charr
    Sylvari - Asura - Norn - Human - Charr
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By LordXavierBritish

CHARR MOTHER FUCKER.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SuperWristBands

Human. Probably gonna play that protection warrior class.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I don't understand why people play Human characters in MMO's. To me that always seems so lacking in imagination. I would much rather play something gnarly. I loved my Troll in wow, they were easily the most original and interesting race.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sweep said:

I don't understand why people play Human characters in MMO's. To me that always seems so lacking in imagination. I would much rather play something gnarly. I loved my Troll in wow, they were easily the most original and interesting race.

Well, I would agree with you, but I have to say - the races in this game seem a bit lacking in imagination other than the Charr.  That Asura is ugly as sin, the Sylvari looks like an elf (which is basically a human), the Nord a large human, and the human a human. (I don't mean to hate on the game, it looks so very amazing so far other than the race choices which is a very very insignificant thing). I loved my gnome/undead/orc/tauren characters in WoW and never dreamed of rolling a human.  Anyways...

If I decide on a thief, I'll be human or possibly Asura depending on what they look like at release.  If I roll a warrior or guardian, definitely a Charr.  That dude is bad-fucking-ass.
    geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By geirr

The picture added to this doesn't include the updated Sylvari "look", so out of geekness I post this link to their not too recent blog update about "growing the Sylvari".

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @Sweep said:

Humans are normally the balance race. Jack of all traits kinda deal. It is just like taking the middle ground. 

Anyway, I really am not sure if I am going to play GW2.. to be honest the first one was total trash in my eyes. I'm aware it is supposed to be totally different and such, but in the end they gota keep some of it true to the original. You know for the fans. 

I've read some nice things about it. I won't trash GW2 cause I haven't tried it. If i was to pick I would go with those werewolf guys, those are the Char I am assuming... if i remember the first game's baddies correctly. But I am just basing it on looks.. He looks like he can tear some new anus passages.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By BabyChooChoo

NORD, BITCHES

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Enigma777

@LordXavierBritish said:

CHARR MOTHER FUCKER.

Anyone who doesn't pick the bad-ass horned lions doesn't know whats up, amarite?!

Also I pity the fools who go with the Asura. No. Just no.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Enigma777

@TotalEklypse: I believe the werewolves (and werebears and god knows what else) are actually the Nords.

JimmyRedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JimmyRedd

Human of course, in no race traitor.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz
    @Sweep said:

I played Troll too even after berserking was nerfed and made their racials useless, they just looked alot cooler.

as for GW2, i'll probably play Charr....
    Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Trebz

Charr. For reasons obvious to anyone else that's interested in the Charr.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

At the moment, my vote is cast as an Asura Guardian. But... who knows. It seems like that changes every month or so with this game.

I may find myself ABOUT to make an Asura but at the last second changing to Human. It just feels right for that to be my first character...

But, yeah, one of those two to be sure. Maybe.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Charr Elementalist -> Asura Thief -> Sylvari Mesmer -> Human Warrior/Guardian -> Norn Ranger for me.

@Sweep

said:

Well, Divinity's Reach is the only major city we've seen anything significant of, but I imagine that given how incredible it already looks people may base their decision on that.

And I don't know if you can change the poll, but the giant, viking-like race are called norn, not nords.
    Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Muerthoz

I don't know what each race's specialties are but based purely on looks I would choose Charr. Although if the game gets overrun with Charr players I would try out Asura.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Vexxan

Definitely Sylvari.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SuperWristBands

@Sweep said:

I like the way human armour looks on humans and I play these games for the armour designs. The whole "awesome game" thing is secondary but very welcome.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@xobballox: The sylvari are definitely not elves, not in any way. Their culture, backstory and personalities are vastly different. If anything, the humans in GW2 are the most similar to the elves, being a part of the oldest races in Tyria and are now facing extinction.

The recent gameplay videos really warmed me up to the asura. They have a lot of charm and look like a lot of fun to play as. I'll probably play through the game as one of them, along with my friend who is playing a norn. That'll be a fun team.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By TheHT

Human Elementalist. I want to experience everything as a regular old relatable human dude before I get into anything else.

For now though, it's definitely: Human Ele -> Sylvari Warrior -> ???

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By apoptosis61

i am a gnome lover  

ASURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Maystack

My main is gonna be a Norn mesmer. That is, if the unannounced profession is actually a mesmer, which they've been hinting strongly at.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gargantuan

Probably an Asura warrior.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By coakroach

If I can convince enough people to all roll with Bear Form Norn Hunters with Bear pets then thats what i'll be doing. 
    Otherwise I think i'll go with a Sylvari Necromancer after seeing how crazy they look if you make them look all autumn...autumny? 

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @coakroach: My Wolf Form norn ranger will have a wolf pet, if that works.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Bollard

I want a normal sized character, which rules out Asura and Nord, so it'll be Charr (size excused due to being... a giant animal-man thing) or Sylvari for me.

mcbonjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By mcbonjon

I guess the Humans are a standard for the folks that aren't daring for a new design. As for me, I'm going with the Sylvari. 

I want to try out all the races, especially the Charr. 

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I can be a massive cat with horns? DUHHH

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Seppli

Torn between Charr and Norn and to a lesser extent Asura and Sylvari. Most likely gonna go with a Guardian or Warrior. In that case I'd roll a Charr or Norn. Elementalist and Necromancer and Thief are also pretty high on my list, here I'd opt for a Sylvari or Asura. Loving the engineer too - If I'd roll an engineer first, it'd be a Charr or Asura. What I'm not gonna do is Ranger. I rolled a Hunter as main in WoW for many years and I'm past animal companions. I just don't dig persistently splitting my character's powers between two entities - since all classes have ranged options too, I'll just go with something else.

I voted Charr, because it's what I'll most likely play first. Guardian or Warrior or Engineer. Second character likely gonna be an elementalist - either Sylvari or Asura. From what I've seen thus far, I find the elementalist the most awesome class with the most diverse and flashy skills, yet I'm not naturally attracted to playing cloth charaters. Robes are for monks and girls.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By c1337us

I have decided I am going to play this game yet. But if I do it will be the humans because I don't much care for any of the other stuff there.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hugh_jazz

To begin with I'll create a human ranger(decendant of my GW1 character, same name and HoM items etc.) because I'm a traditionalist. I think my second will be Nord, though. I think the Charr might be the best enemy race I've seen in a game, but I wouldn't really want to play as one.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seppli
    @Sweep said:

Have you seen the female models for humans? I could roll with that all day long. Plenty dudes like a nice apple bum dangling in-front of them when playing MMORPGs.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    Asura!

I love mage types and these guys are just what I'm looking for in a kiss ass mage!
    zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35  Edited By zyn

Female Human Elementalist.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
    SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SexualBubblegumX
    @Sweep
     In my case I've always done humans in MMOs because Humans are flat out awesome in 3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons. 
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Seppli said:
    @Sweep said:

Have you seen the female models for humans? I could roll with that all day long. Plenty dudes like a nice apple bum dangling in-front of them when playing MMORPGs.
    So what you're saying about your human character is...
    she's got them apple-bottom jeans (jeans),
    boots with the fur (with the fur)?
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By project343

Asura. 'Cuz they is cute and tiny. :D

tarquinbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tarquinbb

i'm going to remake my guildwars 1 character.  therefore, i'd imagine that human is a nobrainer for the majority of people who loved their guildwars 1 char :/

besides that fact, humans allow more for the imagination because they are diverse race by nature...

i really like the look of all races - but i don't really care for the non-human races cliched and weird/religious cultures.  no doubt their starter areas are littered with quests and lore to try to get you attached to their backstory - but frankly i don't give a damn, i want to be my own character with my own feelings and beliefs.  all of the non-human races might as well be night elf from world of warcraft.

according to the poll, and hearing from friends, charr is going to be way overcrowded... doesn't that make charr the dull option?

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @tarquinbb said:

i'm going to remake my guildwars 1 character.  therefore, i'd imagine that human is a nobrainer for the majority of people who loved their guildwars 1 char :/ besides that fact, humans allow more for the imagination because they are diverse race by nature...  i really like the look of all races - but i don't really care for the non-human races cliched and weird/religious cultures.  no doubt their starter areas are littered with quests and lore to try to get you attached to their backstory - but frankly i don't give a damn, i want to be my own character with my own feelings and beliefs.  all of the non-human races might as well be night elf from world of warcraft. according to the poll, and hearing from friends, charr is going to be way overcrowded... doesn't that make charr the dull option?

Why the hell does being another race prevent prevent you from infusing your own choices into the character? That's what the personal story is for. Every player character is supposed to be something of an anomaly - that's why you'll never see any charr guardian or norn thief NPC's. It's also why you're the one saving the goddamn world.

And a larger population instantly makes a race uninteresting? Now you just sound like an annoying hipster. Every race has their own lore limitations, including the humans, your option as a human player with (theoretically) free will is to decide whether you want to ignore your race lore.

By the way, the humans have the most blatant "wierd/religious culture" in the game. The charr are the only race with no form of transcendent belief structure.
    Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Maystack

It sucks that Norn aren't more popular. They can turn into bears people! BEARS!

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Maystack said:
    It sucks that Norn aren't more popular. They can turn into bears people! BEARS!
    The Official Giant Bomb Guild Lincoln Force (TM) should run every holiday event as a mob of norn rangers with bear pets and the Bear Form elite. All shall tremble before our might.
    Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Maystack
    @Dark_Lord_Spam: People will cower in fear from us instead of the mad king haha.
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Human rangers are the way to go.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Seppli
    @Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@Seppli said:

@Sweep said:

So what you're saying about your human character is... she's got them apple-bottom jeans (jeans), boots with the fur (with the fur)?
    Hmmm? More like BONITA  APPLEBUM...  
    Guess that's more of Sylvari Apple Buttom
    Guess that's more of Sylvari Apple Buttom
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By tekmojo

Human or Char, I would prefer to get into the whole Human lore as I haven't played the first one, seems like a good race to be indoctrinated in. Thinking warrior or ranger type class. Will fuck shit up.

tarquinbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tarquinbb
    @Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@tarquinbb said:

i'm going to remake my guildwars 1 character.  therefore, i'd imagine that human is a nobrainer for the majority of people who loved their guildwars 1 char :/ besides that fact, humans allow more for the imagination because they are diverse race by nature...  i really like the look of all races - but i don't really care for the non-human races cliched and weird/religious cultures.  no doubt their starter areas are littered with quests and lore to try to get you attached to their backstory - but frankly i don't give a damn, i want to be my own character with my own feelings and beliefs.  all of the non-human races might as well be night elf from world of warcraft. according to the poll, and hearing from friends, charr is going to be way overcrowded... doesn't that make charr the dull option?

Why the hell does being another race prevent prevent you from infusing your own choices into the character? That's what the personal story is for. Every player character is supposed to be something of an anomaly - that's why you'll never see any charr guardian or norn thief NPC's. It's also why you're the one saving the goddamn world. And a larger population instantly makes a race uninteresting? Now you just sound like an annoying hipster. Every race has their own lore limitations, including the humans, your option as a human player with (theoretically) free will is to decide whether you want to ignore your race lore.  By the way, the humans have the most blatant "wierd/religious culture" in the game. The charr are the only race with no form of transcendent belief structure.

then you agree that the non-human race cultures are cliche?  i was clearly referring to the cliche 'nomadic norn' or 'savage charr' cultures and not dissing on religion.

maybe it's just bad memories of EOTN.  i wasn't really excited by the new races.
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Meowshi
    @Sweep said:

They are more easy to relate to.  You know, seeing as how we are actually human and all.  People who play humans often are trying to play as "themselves" in a fantasy setting, rather than trying to play through the role of another character.   

Besides, humans are often a "neutral" race, and don't have restrictive racial stereotypes such as, "Always big and angry" or "always small and intelligent". Humans offer the most variety in appearance and personality. 

Also, the trolls in WoW suck.  The trolls in previous Warcraft games were so much cooler!
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Meowshi

I'll probably roll an attractive human noble first.  You know, typical fantasy fare. 

I might go ferocious Charr and inquisitive Sylvari though. 

The other two races hold absolutely no interest for me.  The Norn aren't big enough in-game to really be interesting as giants, and the Asura are...blegh.

CornishRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By CornishRocker

Glad to see more people getting excited for GW2. I'll be rolling a human first, but I'll be making one of every race down the line.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.