Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 28, 2005

Guild Wars is a 'competitive online role-playing game' developed by ArenaNet and published by NCsoft, notable for instanced, skilled play and for being one of the first games of its time without a subscription fee.

Rocky Style Montage: Get 1-20 and 30 Rewards question.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darklight

Just to be clear, this isn't about a dude going from 1-20 and getting the "Closer to the Stars" reward in a Rocky montage style video with motivational music in the background. Sorry if the title was misleading.

So now that this is out of the way, I don't really know how active the GW community is active on Giant Bomb but I'll ask anyway. I have played Guild Wars a long time ago (not in a galaxy far far away.... sorry, couldn't resist that crappy joke, please don't leave) on release. But along the way I lost the will to continue and stopped playing. Some month ago I bought the game again on steam with all the expansion with the exception of GWEN. My goal was this: Getting 30 rewards so I can get all the good stuff in Guild Wars 2. Plus it would have been a good way to learn the background story/lore stuff. But after playing some hours, I could not get into the beat to continue my goal. I lost interest and I don't really know why. Be the game play, a lack of interest in the story or no immediate goal except the "get 30 rewards" which is kinda overwhelming. So I shamelessly (not sure if I can say that here, correct me if I'm wrong) gave up on the game.

After playing Guild Wars 2 this weekend I looked back at the past and started to have remorse about all the stuff I missed and will miss by not finishing Guild Wars / GWEN. So I want to revive my goal and give it a go again. I came here for advice and with a bunch of question. Keep in mind that I have not been playing for a while so consider me as a new player that did a minimum of research of the game. I'll put my question in a cool unordered list to show my skill as a poster:

• What class would be fun to level with Heroes?
    • I guess Nightfall would be the fastest way to level to 20?
    • Is there anything I should fix as a goal when starting? What should be my first goal?
    • Do you know any good step to step guide that would help me getting from 1-20 + 30 rewards?
    • Any advice? Something I should not miss? Anything?
    • Is the 30 rewards possible, in like... a month? What time would you think it takes?

In short, I don't mind following a walkthrough of someone and walking in his step if it helps me keep immediate objective (more like "go from A to B to C" kind of goal instead of "go from A to Z" with nothing else to look for in the middle. If you understand what I mean.). I think that after following someone step for some time I'll be able understand the mechanic better and "fly on my own" if you will. I just need the best way to achieve this and that's why any advice/guide (be video or text) that you think would help would be really appreciated.

I had something witty to say at the end of this but I totally forgot what it was... oh well. :/

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The rewards are very much meant for those who devoted a lot of time to the original GW, I don't think you could just randomly pick it up and hope to get all the points. Many of them require obtaining very expensive items or completing late game, difficult content. It doesn't help that the amount of people going back in at attempt to do this are pushing the prices and economy up even higher than they would have been a few years ago. Even basic minipets can now cost a fortune.

If you have a guild or some experience friends to play with, you could probably get quite a few of the points. Things like completing all of the missions + bonuses / hard mode / vanquishing the areas, are not hard with experienced players, but will still take a lot of time, definitely not doable within a month.

I'd recommend aiming lower. Getting to 10 points is probably doable within a month or two, and still gets you access to some nice items (the entire heritage armour set, plus the fiery dragon sword). If you're still up for more after that, bump your goal up to 15.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By darklight

Alright, I'll try that instead and ask a friend that play non stop if he could help wit some stuff.

Thanks for the input!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.