Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero 5

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

The fifth game in the core Guitar Hero franchise, and the third in the series from Activision and Neversoft. Though the game goes by the Guitar Hero moniker, it features full-band gameplay like its predecessor, Guitar Hero World Tour.

Guitar Hero 5 is doing very well...

AvD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By AvD
    Hmm...

Surprised?  Excited?  Annoyed?  Don't care?... I personally was going to purchase this after The Beatles: Rock Band so I'm glad that I won't be disappointed.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By trophyhunter

I'm happy I bought two days ago and think its the best GH yet

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I'm surprised. Also, remember when it was a big deal if OXM gave a game a 90+ score, and then they blew it all by giving fight night Round 3 a 100? I guessed they opened the 9.5+ floodgates since then.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By demonbear

the tracklist bores me so i'll pass. The beatles rock band is looking way better. I could play with my parents!

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By trophyhunter
    @demonbear said:
    " the tracklist bores me so i'll pass. The beatles rock band is looking way better. I could play with my parents! "
    you really think the beatles is going to be better it only has 45 songs instead of 85, no character creator, most of the Beatles songs are super simplistic.
    the only think its got going for it is the crazy dreamscape stuff. I don't see what people are so excited about. Now if they came out with rockband 3 I'd be like fuck you GH5
    Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Lashe
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @demonbear said:
    " the tracklist bores me so i'll pass. The beatles rock band is looking way better. I could play with my parents! "
    you really think the beatles is going to be better it only has 45 songs instead of 85, no character creator, most of the Beatles songs are super simplistic. the only think its got going for it is the crazy dreamscape stuff. I don't see what people are so excited about. Now if they came out with rockband 3 I'd be like fuck you GH5 "
    No, what it has going for it is that it's The fucking Beatles. Why do you want 85 songs when you could have 45 Beatles songs? Why do you need a character creator when you have one of the most iconic bands of all time? 
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By demonbear
    @Lashe said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @demonbear said:
    you really think the beatles is going to be better it only has 45 songs instead of 85, no character creator, most of the Beatles songs are super simplistic. the only think its got going for it is the crazy dreamscape stuff. I don't see what people are so excited about. Now if they came out with rockband 3 I'd be like fuck you GH5 "
    No, what it has going for it is that it's The fucking Beatles. Why do you want 85 songs when you could have 45 Beatles songs? Why do you need a character creator when you have one of the most iconic bands of all time?  "
    This guy gets it. 

Plus its a game i could play with my gf, my parents, kids, anyone. GH5? 85 tracks of idontgiveashit is not as good as 45 freakin' Beatles songs
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By skrutop

The party play mode is a wonderful idea.  I really hope that Rock Band introduces that in the next iteration.

From the gamespot review: "Previously, you could save failed bandmates only by using the star power you earned by nailing glowing notes."

I thought that once someone failed out in GHWT, the entire band would fail instantly.  Is that not the case?

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Lashe said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" @demonbear said:
    No, what it has going for it is that it's The fucking Beatles. Why do you want 85 songs when you could have 45 Beatles songs? Why do you need a character creator when you have one of the most iconic bands of all time?  "
    easy I don't like the beatles or think their music would be fun in a game I mean I like "here comes the sun" and "come together" but I thought come together was an arrowsmith song for about 5 years
    AvD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AvD
    @Lashe said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @demonbear said:
    I'm with you.  45 Beatles songs are much more appealing to me than 85 songs that are always hit and miss.  But this is a biased statement as I am a Beatlemaniac.

Still, something could be said for the extras and difficulty (I love a challenge) that GH5 has over TBRB.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Pie
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @Lashe said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" @demonbear said:
    easy I don't like the beatles or think their music would be fun in a game I mean I like "here comes the sun" and "come together" but I thought come together was an arrowsmith song for about 5 years "
    Dude.....
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By demonbear
    @AvD said:
    Still, something could be said for the extras and difficulty (I love a challenge) that GH5 has over TBRB. "
    Thats the thing for me. If GH3 teached me anything, its that my talent for these games is limited and the effort and time required to get better at it is far too high. If you say here's a casual beatles music rythm game, I say, twist and shout baby.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By trophyhunter
    @skrutop said:
    " The party play mode is a wonderful idea.  I really hope that Rock Band introduces that in the next iteration.  From the gamespot review: "Previously, you could save failed bandmates only by using the star power you earned by nailing glowing notes."  I thought that once someone failed out in GHWT, the entire band would fail instantly.  Is that not the case? "
    yeah in GHWT when someone failed the whole band did  
    but in GH5 to save someone you just have to play well not even use star power
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Pie said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @Lashe said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" @demonbear said:
    easy I don't like the beatles or think their music would be fun in a game I mean I like "here comes the sun" and "come together" but I thought come together was an arrowsmith song for about 5 years "
    Dude..... "
    well arrowsmith did a cover of come together and that was the first time I heard that song so you can see how I thought it was not a beatles song
    nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By nrain

I'm tottaly surprised that it's geting great reviews, more good games is great. I wasn't gonna bother but after all the good reviews I'll very likely pick it up.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By trophyhunter

right here on giantbomb the players were 76 yesterday today there are 368 players on giantbomb

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @demonbear said:
    If you don't like the Beatles, then you won't like the Beatles Rock Band. Simple as that.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @Lashe said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @demonbear said:
    Lashe, that is how I feel. I must say I am surprised by the inherent quality of the game (GH5) because I expected it to be nothing more than another cash-in. I may pick it up soon. Nonetheless, TB:RB still has my vote out of the two because, dude, the Beatles are awesome. Everyone loves them (besides a few including the TC) and 45, pure Beatles songs will be fantastic. I pre-ordered that; this I will get eventually but at a discounted price.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By damswedon

all comes down to set list. and not a single guitar hero game has enticed me with that alone since 3
    also 45 beatles songs > any guitar hero setlist post 2

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Surprised? No. Annoyed? Very.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheGreatGuero

My copy just came in the mail today. I've only played 5 songs in quick play so far, but everything seems to be good. The difficulty seems to have been beefed up quite a bit with some of the songs, but I'm not complaining or anything.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Jolly_Lolly said:
    " Surprised? No. Annoyed? Very. "
    annoyed that people are enjoying a good game? what are you a batman villain
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By jonnyboy

Buying it anyway, couldn't give a shit what the critics say, good or bad. 

I don't like being told what I should or shouldn't enjoy. I like to find out for myself.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman

Guitar Hero is nothing more than a cash in and it has been since GH3. No thanks, Rock Band games are more my style. You've got to vote with your wallets guys, don't encourage Activision and Neversoft to do business this way.

AvD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AvD
    @TheGreatGuero said:

" My copy just came in the mail today. I've only played 5 songs in quick play so far, but everything seems to be good. The difficulty seems to have been beefed up quite a bit with some of the songs, but I'm not complaining or anything. "

This is good news.  One of the main factors that I liked about the GH franchise was the difficulty, and GH:WT felt too much like RB in that there was not much of a challenge for me on guitar and bass.

@JJWeatherman said:

" Guitar Hero is nothing more than a cash in...

It appears that the critics do not agree with this for GH5.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @AvD: I suck at guitar, so I don't know if it'll be better for me. I've never been able to fully make the leap to hard. I can usually make it through about half of the songs on hard but that's it, and it gets to the point where I'm no longer having fun so I don't really keep practicing to get there. However, medium is generally too easy for me and I can get 5 stars on every song without much difficulty. Dude, however, in the few songs I've played, I've already encountered some really difficult solos on medium. The end of Tom Petty's American Girl killed me. I wasn't expecting that at all. But the good news is that it seems I won't be able to breeze through medium like I have on the last several games.
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By clubsandwich
    @Pie said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @Lashe said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" @demonbear said:
    Dude..... "
    Agreed....
    CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CarpetRemnant
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @Lashe said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" @demonbear said:
    Yeah but surely you're still capable of noticing that most other people fucking love the freaking Beatles and that what they are so excited about is The Beatles! If you don't like them then, just a guess, maybe you won't like the game yourself but surely you can still see why most other people are excited?

Personally I shall be getting both games and enjoying them both immensely.

Oh and why exactly is guitar hero a cash in now? Surely any game is a cash in?
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @Jolly_Lolly said:
    annoyed that people are enjoying a good game? what are you a batman villain "
    No, no, I didn't mean it like that. I'm annoyed because I just recently bought GHWT, but I guess I should have waited for this instead.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Jolly_Lolly said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @Jolly_Lolly said:
    annoyed that people are enjoying a good game? what are you a batman villain "
    No, no, I didn't mean it like that. I'm annoyed because I just recently bought GHWT, but I guess I should have waited for this instead. "
    ooh alright then
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By raviolisumo

When will these music games die? I'm really sick of them. I'm completely fine not buying a new set of plastic "instruements" to clutter my house. I'll just take the RB2 store please. Also, as someone else said there hasn't been a setlist in GH that I liked since II.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EvilTwin

Guitar Hero is like a sports franchise now.  As long as they don't completely screw it up, it will always get positive reviews.  It's the same thing that happened to Tony Hawk.  I guess that's what Neversoft is best at.  /dick move

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Wes899 said:
    " When will these music games die? I'm really sick of them. I'm completely fine not buying a new set of plastic "instruements" to clutter my house. I'll just take the RB2 store please. Also, as someone else said there hasn't been a setlist in GH that I liked since II. "
    well if you don't buy them why do you wish for the death of them.
    your wish is putting thousands of people out of jobs and taking away a game thousands of  people like. 
    now how do you feel huh? huh?
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By TheHBK

I went to target and noticed that they had it there.  I hadnt seen anything on this game really.  Seemed like a surprise that it was out and i was like, ok...  JUst didnt seem like a big deal like world tour.  Beatles Rock Band is gonna be huge!  But this game, just makes me say, meh.  Van Halen is more exciting than this.  Maybe thats why so many buy GH5, so they can get VH for free.
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By raviolisumo
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @Wes899 said:
    " When will these music games die? I'm really sick of them. I'm completely fine not buying a new set of plastic "instruements" to clutter my house. I'll just take the RB2 store please. Also, as someone else said there hasn't been a setlist in GH that I liked since II. "
    well if you don't buy them why do you wish for the death of them. your wish is putting thousands of people out of jobs and taking away a game thousands of  people like.  now how do you feel huh? huh? "
    An honest question, why are you acting like the defender of the game in this thread? Sorry, I guess I'm in the wrong for not accepting Activision/GH as my lord and saviour. 
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Metroid545
    @Lashe said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @demonbear said:
    win
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Metroid545

also I couldn't care less GH5 so what, I lost interest at GHWT

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Wes899 said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @Wes899 said:
    well if you don't buy them why do you wish for the death of them. your wish is putting thousands of people out of jobs and taking away a game thousands of  people like.  now how do you feel huh? huh? "
    An honest question, why are you acting like the defender of the game in this thread? Sorry, I guess I'm in the wrong for not accepting Activision/GH as my lord and saviour.  "
    because this is godfather 2 and resident evil 5 all over again 
    I fucking hate you people that hate games for no reason or just because it's popular to hate them
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By raviolisumo

I liked RE5 and have no opinion on The Godfather 2. Ever thought that not everyone is as obsessed as you and isn't a fanboy? I just don't like the game. It's not as nearly as good as it's used to be. The quality switch occured between 2 and 3.  Ever since then the songs have been mostly mediocre with a few gems here and there. All songs are over-charted messes and the developer has appeared to realize that the hard-core community doesn't really care. They just want faster/more notes. Seriously, the only worthwile song I can think of in GH 5 is Sweating Bullets; also the Cobain thing makes me sad.  My bad for having an opinion.  I don't dislike them because it's popular to, I dislike them because they are now the souless product of the corporate juggernaut. 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Wes899 said:
    " I liked RE5 and have no opinion on The Godfather 2. Ever thought that not everyone is as obsessed as you and isn't a fanboy? I just don't like the game. It's not as nearly as good as it's used to be. The quality switch occured between 2 and 3.  Ever since then the songs have been mostly mediocre with a few gems here and there. All songs are over-charted messes and the developer has appeared to realize that the hard-core community doesn't really care. They just want faster/more notes. Seriously, the only worthwile song I can think of in GH 5 is Sweating Bullets; also the Cobain thing makes me sad.  My bad for having an opinion.  I don't dislike them because it's popular to, I dislike them because they are now the souless product of the corporate juggernaut.  "
    I'm not a GH fanboy I actually prefer rockband, I've said dozen times had rockband 3 came out instead of the crappy beatles game I would never even think of getting GH5.
    but I did and it's a great game. so when people go "its a cash in" "curt cobain blah blah" it fucking pisses me off. most people are hateing on it just because its popluar to hate on,  which is the stupidest thing ever.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By Systech
    Really? Wow! Insane!
    NickNorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NickNorman
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @Wes899 said:
    " I liked RE5 and have no opinion on The Godfather 2. Ever thought that not everyone is as obsessed as you and isn't a fanboy? I just don't like the game. It's not as nearly as good as it's used to be. The quality switch occured between 2 and 3.  Ever since then the songs have been mostly mediocre with a few gems here and there. All songs are over-charted messes and the developer has appeared to realize that the hard-core community doesn't really care. They just want faster/more notes. Seriously, the only worthwile song I can think of in GH 5 is Sweating Bullets; also the Cobain thing makes me sad.  My bad for having an opinion.  I don't dislike them because it's popular to, I dislike them because they are now the souless product of the corporate juggernaut.  "
    I'm not a GH fanboy I actually prefer rockband, I've said dozen times had rockband 3 came out instead of the crappy beatles game I would never even think of getting GH5. but I did and it's a great game. so when people go "its a cash in" "curt cobain blah blah" it fucking pisses me off. most people are hateing on it just because its popluar to hate on,  which is the stupidest thing ever. "
    Them's fightin' words, son. 

I can count the number of games with "Rock Band" in the title on one hand (two, if you count track packs). I'm into my toes now for Guitar Hero. It's not that they put out a bunch of games with lots of music, it's the fact that each new iteration feels like the same game that just came out. GH5 is probably the best Guitar Hero game since...II?
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By trophyhunter
    @NickNorman said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @Wes899 said:
    I'm not a GH fanboy I actually prefer rockband, I've said dozen times had rockband 3 came out instead of the crappy beatles game I would never even think of getting GH5. but I did and it's a great game. so when people go "its a cash in" "curt cobain blah blah" it fucking pisses me off. most people are hateing on it just because its popluar to hate on,  which is the stupidest thing ever. "
    Them's fightin' words, son.   I can count the number of games with "Rock Band" in the title on one hand (two, if you count track packs). I'm into my toes now for Guitar Hero. It's not that they put out a bunch of games with lots of music, it's the fact that each new iteration feels like the same game that just came out. GH5 is probably the best Guitar Hero game since...II? "
    well don't buy the not numbered ones I don't and I'd say GH5 is the best GH since the first one.
    AvD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AvD
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @Wes899 said:
    I would have to agree with trophyhunter.  Just because you don't like them you shouldn't wish death on them.  I love rhythm games, and this has been an amazing time for them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.